Synth processing chains

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, this thread will likely open up a can of worms and that's OK - I know there will be a a lot of different ideas of what's best, it's a broad and open question.

So, what's your favourite 'typical' processing chains for your synths? Interested all uses - both bass, pads and leads (like I said, very broad).

Just curious and keen to see the different approaches people take to these sorts of sounds. I have my own go to and random approaches, but it's always useful to get a perspective from other people and some ideas to try out.

Particulary interested to which frequency ranges you find critical / troublesome for various types of sounds (I used to religously eq out a lot of mid range from my bass to combat mud, until I realised my tracks lacked power in comparison to others... I needed to strip it out of other elements, not the bass).

cheers guys

What condiments do you prefer on your dinner?

What dinner? Any.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Synth -> Rules -> Bollox

String -> Scissors -> More Pieces of String

I realise its very broad, but this is about getting inspiration for new ideas right? Not asking for what sounds best

i guess it depends on the kind of music/sound you wanna make

for Dub-step its Synth Thru Bit-crusher, snare sent to a hi-passed-buss with a Big and Bright plate reverb

For trance it would be "super-saw" type of synth patch thru Chorus to again hi-passed send with bright plate reverb

For old school Acid its Tb-303 sounding patch(like Muon's Tau) to distortion

For scary N-i-N type of sound would be synth to reverb and have distortion AFTER the reverb

For daft punk stuff its synth thru saturation(not distortion) into phaser and Alesis 3630 Hyped Compressor setting

I usually Cut everything out Below 30hz and have a smooth sounding limiter set at -3dB just to prevent unwanted Digital distortion
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:i guess it depends on the kind of music/sound you wanna make

for Dub-step its Synth Thru Bit-crusher, snare sent to a hi-passed-buss with a Big and Bright plate reverb

For trance it would be "super-saw" type of synth patch thru Chorus to again hi-passed send with bright plate reverb

For old school Acid its Tb-303 sounding patch(like Muon's Tau) to distortion

For scary N-i-N type of sound would be synth to reverb and have distortion AFTER the reverb

For daft punk stuff its synth thru saturation(not distortion) into phaser and Alesis 3630 Hyped Compressor setting

I usually Cut everything out Below 30hz and have a smooth sounding limiter set at -3dB just to prevent unwanted Digital distortion
Cheers :)

First I like to add some warmth. You know, the analogue kind. Then, that sparkle! Mmm, that sparkly high. You know, the nice, shimmery kind.

But then, I like to add some shimmer on it's own, but the sparkly kind. This really let's it 'sit' whatever that f**king means.

Then, I add some Cut Thru so it can cut thru the mix. After this, it's too cold, so I warm that f**ker up again, all analogue, all tape,, all vintage, all neve-tec 117654321.

But then, I use my smash compressor, to compress the smashes. Ooh yeah, do you smell those tubes? Because, there's none, so that would be weird. Do tubes even have a smell?

BUT THEN, and this is the important part, I hi-hi lo-lo cut pass phase filter notch. But then it has no punch, so I put my PUNCH compressor on it to make it punch. Now it's punchy. Hear that punch? Punchy.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I should be on Slate Digital's marketing team. I am PRO at this.

itneveris wrote:First I like to add some warmth. You know, the analogue kind. Then, that sparkle! Mmm, that sparkly high. You know, the nice, shimmery kind.

But then, I like to add some shimmer on it's own, but the sparkly kind. This really let's it 'sit' whatever that f**king means.

Then, I add some Cut Thru so it can cut thru the mix. After this, it's too cold, so I warm that f**ker up again, all analogue, all tape,, all vintage, all neve-tec 117654321.

But then, I use my smash compressor, to compress the smashes. Ooh yeah, do you smell those tubes? Because, there's none, so that would be weird. Do tubes even have a smell?

BUT THEN, and this is the important part, I hi-hi lo-lo cut pass phase filter notch. But then it has no punch, so I put my PUNCH compressor on it to make it punch. Now it's punchy. Hear that punch? Punchy.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I should be on Slate Digital's marketing team. I am PRO at this.
:lol:

You forgot one important detail: the anechoic room reverb simulator.

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=5

While you're there, remember to pick up One Ping Only, so you can play along with KVR's favourite insider joke. I mean, tip.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I just use sausage fattener on everything. Seriously it works! I don't even have to do anything.. it pretty much automatically does what i want it to. I think it uses some kind of Auto-Ai that detects the style and then it just improves it and give it that "sound"
:borg:

I'd forgotten about Sausage Fattener. I was quite impressed with it when I tested it. I doubt it has any kind of detection AI in it, it's just cleverly constructed - there are at least two or more different effects and they combine in different strengths depending on where the knob is, so you can just turn the knob until you get the sound you want.

Following reverb with another effect is good for new sounds. Beyond just throwing out random chains of effects, though, it's kinda hard to say too much without knowing the context. You could list any combination of 3 FX, and you can guarantee they'll be useful in some situation. Sometimes I just pick some almost at random, and see if I can tweak it into something interesting. Other times, no effects is the way to go. Upfront and in your face :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:I'd forgotten about Sausage Fattener. I was quite impressed with it when I tested it. I doubt it has any kind of detection AI in it, it's just cleverly constructed - there are at least two or more different effects and they combine in different strengths depending on where the knob is, so you can just turn the knob until you get the sound you want.

Following reverb with another effect is good for new sounds. Beyond just throwing out random chains of effects, though, it's kinda hard to say too much without knowing the context. You could list any combination of 3 FX, and you can guarantee they'll be useful in some situation. Sometimes I just pick some almost at random, and see if I can tweak it into something interesting. Other times, no effects is the way to go. Upfront and in your face :)
Lol sorry i was being sarcastic, i never used that plugin. I thought it was kind of a joke :hihi:
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
Sendy wrote: I doubt it has any kind of detection AI in it
Lol sorry i was being sarcastic, i never used that plugin. I thought it was kind of a joke :hihi:
Thank god for that. :hihi:

Return to “Effects”