One-Synth-Challenge #66: ODsay by Elektrostudio (Keith303 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SirKen wrote:This synth is fun. I was fooling around with it and couldn't help myself but go for the one below.

https://soundcloud.com/sir_ken/2001-a-space-odsay
THose drums dude!!!!!!!! Is that odsy?? :shock:

bjporter wrote:
SirKen wrote:This synth is fun. I was fooling around with it and couldn't help myself but go for the one below.

Yep. 3 Layers with individual compressors. MEqualizer, ReaDelay and Ambience (reverb) on the mix.

EDIT - Forgot to mention the EQ.

SirKen wrote:
bjporter wrote:

Yep. 3 Layers with individual compressors. MEqualizer, ReaDelay and Ambience (reverb) on the mix.

Unbelievable.

IrionDaRonin wrote:I like this synth, it is dual polyphony, right?, hopefully i will find some free time this month, and extra inspiration.

Have a nice day and good luck :)
It's duophonic (has a mono/duo switch) if I remember each of the two notes use an osc if it's true to the original.

doctorbob wrote:
bjporter wrote:26 Patches for you guys:

I am having a blast with Cantabile Lite (free)'s random patch options, and tweaked various random patches to produce cool new ones: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... 20vol1.zip
Thanks Brian, it's a cool synth that's for sure. Mind you, the original hardware was such a classic - would just love to have been able to play with one. EMS VCS3, Synthi-A, Moogs,Korgs etc great, but never got near an Odyssey. Still have my original DEwtron resin encased modules from the days when I built my own beast. Probably about time I stuck them up on eBay - probably the last of their kind around anywhere - they were pretty bad, but worked. 2 Osc's (one sin,tri,sqr output the other saw,sqr), VCF, SHE (sample hold envelope), VCA, patchpin panel (a la synthi), ring mod.

Picture here from synthmuseum (a claim to fame???)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2grpyHF_kgA/T ... ewtron.gif

Cheers,

Rob
Well Rob, Korg are releasing a new version of the arp odyssey in september http://www.korg.com/us/news/2014/0217/ so hopefully not too expensive to fulfill your dream ;-).
Had a musician friend I was writing music players/drivers back in the mid 80s to early 90s who was picking up all sorts of second hand kit, like mini-moog's, ppg wave's, emu emulator ii etc. Was great playing with them, though didn't know wth I was doing (nothing much changed these days ;-) ). Unfortunately he used to trade them for other kit etc. In hindsight, could kick myself for not picking a few of these up myself :dog: .

IrionDaRonin wrote:I like this synth, it is dual polyphony, right?, hopefully i will find some free time this month, and extra inspiration.

Take part this month!,

Estaba esperando verte en la OSC60 pero ...
... no apareciste :( .

chilledpanda wrote:

It's duophonic (has a mono/duo switch) if I remember each of the two notes use an osc if it's true to the original.
Something like that. The timbre changes quite a lot when you enable the duophony which is why I would rather treat it like a monophonic synth.

J.Ruegg wrote:

Take part this month!,

Estaba esperando verte en la OSC60 pero ...
... no apareciste :( .
Thanks for your kindness.
I will! :)
Well, after a few months had very bad times, always worried about future, that's why i couldn't appear in OSC 60, i would have liked.

Finally my girlfriend could get a proper job. So we can take a breath finally. After enough years, my girlfriend has a stable job.
I'm still doing my music, my demotracks and next week i will work in McDonalds during 15 days. Better than nothing.

What i want to tell about this, it's impressive how Universe (for me, my God, hopefully nobody feels bad for this) provides you when you ask for something. Maybe it's karma, no idea.

And that's about my OSC entry.
Still looking for a proper title, "My father Cosmos, my mother Nature", or "Ode to Universe" or "You finally listened to me". Something like a connection between universe and me.
We all belong to it, we all are part from the same energy and the same origin.

The main idea of the track is finished. Now i need to add more stuff, transitions, intro, parts, etc.
But i like the way it's going on.
It's a pity it won't have nice drums, but certainly is difficult to get drums from this synth, and i don't usually take too much time in making layers.

Definitelly, i'm in!!!
Also, those prizes are very tasty that encouraged me to try it at least :hihi:

Have a nice day :)
Last edited by IrionDaRonin on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirKen wrote:
chilledpanda wrote:

Something like that. The timbre changes quite a lot when you enable the duophony which is why I would rather treat it like a monophonic synth.
Oh Definitely, it's not like your restricted to a single instance and if you really need polyphonic, you can implement it like z-primes's suggestion in the tal-bassline thread.

Personally I like monophonic, the instrument of yesteryear's future dreamers ;-).

chilledpanda wrote:
Oh Definitely, it's not like your restricted to a single instance and if you really need polyphonic, you can implement it like z-primes's suggestion in the tal-bassline thread.
The method works well, my little taster snippet above does just that. Also, because you can't dictate which track each new note goes to, then if you pan each of the note generating tracks, you get interesting movements for free! Thanks Z!

db

Hey guys if anyone has any .FXP files I'll make a .fxb bank + zip + .fxp file, and keep updating it as we go along. Does that sound like a good idea? Like a ongoing Community OSC bank?

doctorbob wrote:
chilledpanda wrote: Oh Definitely, it's not like your restricted to a single instance and if you really need polyphonic, you can implement it like z-primes's suggestion in the tal-bassline thread.
The method works well, my little taster snippet above does just that. Also, because you can't dictate which track each new note goes to, then if you pan each of the note generating tracks, you get interesting movements for free! Thanks Z!
db
Repostedited here, in case it's difficult to dig up:

To get polyphony with <insert synth here> in Reaper, at least: you just need N+2 tracks, where N is your polyphony:
  • Create a group track <-- put your overall patch fx here (could use a send track in other DAWs)
  • Add N tracks under it, each with separate instances of <insert synth here> and the same-ish patch
  • Add 1 MIDI track under that same group track to play MIDI on (doesn't really need to be under the group)
  • On the MIDI track, add piz midiPolyphony, set it to N max channel, then route it to each of the N <insert synth here> tracks, with each routing, filter to a different MIDI channel 1 through N instead of all (could also use a MIDI channel filter on each individual track - one of the other piz plugins does that)
Done! :)

z.prime wrote:
[*]Add 1 MIDI track under that same group track to play MIDI on (doesn't really need to be under the group)
[*]On the MIDI track, add piz midiPolyphony, set it to N max channel, then route it to each of the N <insert synth here> tracks, with each routing, filter to a different MIDI channel 1 through N instead of all (could also use a MIDI channel filter on each individual track - one of the other piz plugins does that)[/list]
Shiver me timbers!!!!!??? I wish Cubase could do this... maybe time to try Reaper...

bjporter wrote:
z.prime wrote:
[*]Add 1 MIDI track under that same group track to play MIDI on (doesn't really need to be under the group)
[*]On the MIDI track, add piz midiPolyphony, set it to N max channel, then route it to each of the N <insert synth here> tracks, with each routing, filter to a different MIDI channel 1 through N instead of all (could also use a MIDI channel filter on each individual track - one of the other piz plugins does that)[/list]
Shiver me timbers!!!!!??? I wish Cubase could do this... maybe time to try Reaper...
Never a better time! :)
Reaper has it's issues, but is definitely super flexible... but added benefit: when I switched from Cubase SX3, it doubled the number of plugins I could use - way better performance. :)

bjporter wrote:
SirKen wrote:
bjporter wrote:

Unbelievable.
I wish it had 2 ADSR envelopes, so that I could use one for the LPF and one for the VCA. As things stand, I have to choose timbre or the articulation since AR envelope is generally too primitive to work with.

There is also the issue with the note velocity on Reaper. I am assuming this is a "feature" of the original ARP Odyssey.

Return to “Instruments”