One-Synth-Challenge #66: ODsay by Elektrostudio (Keith303 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going to use Zprime's Soundcloud Unicorn here: :hihi:

New Prize Added! 1x Soundcloud Pro Account

bjporter wrote:I'm going to use Zprime's Soundcloud Unicorn here: :hihi:

New Prize Added! 1x Soundcloud Pro Account
THAT is how to announce a prize, Brian :)

I like how Brian moves all over Skynet to get nice prizes.
Did you talk with SC guys for this?

<3

IrionDaRonin wrote:I like how Brian moves all over Skynet to get nice prizes.
Did you talk with SC guys for this?

<3
Well, since Skynet has been online - we can get any prize we need now, and we sent a few T1000's back to 30 years ago into Germany to find the SC founders... and that's just an 'extra' guarantee we get the prizes.

bjporter wrote:Hey guys if anyone has any .FXP files I'll make a .fxb bank + zip + .fxp file, and keep updating it as we go along. Does that sound like a good idea? Like a ongoing Community OSC bank?
I think that's a great idea in general bjporter!! :tu:

SirKen wrote:
bjporter wrote:
SirKen wrote:
bjporter wrote:
SirKen wrote:This synth is fun. I was fooling around with it and couldn't help myself but go for the one below.

https://soundcloud.com/sir_ken/2001-a-space-odsay
THose drums dude!!!!!!!! Is that odsy?? :shock:
Yep. 3 Layers with individual compressors. MEqualizer, ReaDelay and Ambience (reverb) on the mix.

EDIT - Forgot to mention the EQ.
Unbelievable.
I wish it had 2 ADSR envelopes, so that I could use one for the LPF and one for the VCA. As things stand, I have to choose timbre or the articulation since AR envelope is generally too primitive to work with.
Then it wouldn't be a challenge :lol:
SirKen wrote: There is also the issue with the note velocity on Reaper. I am assuming this is a "feature" of the original ARP Odyssey.
The original arp odyssey didn't have a velocity/pressure sensitive keyboard or midi
;-)
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_ar ... yssey.html

Be interesting to see if Korg implement it in the new version, which I'm sure they will.

z.prime wrote:[quote="bjporter]
Shiver me timbers!!!!!??? I wish Cubase could do this... maybe time to try Reaper...
Never a better time! :)
Reaper has it's issues, but is definitely super flexible... but added benefit: when I switched from Cubase SX3, it doubled the number of plugins I could use - way better performance. :)[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yup, a good time to try Brian. Basically it's "tool-less", so can be hard for some to adjust. But, the whole layout is VERY context sensitive ... so just remember to right click all over the place and menus to do all sorts of wonderful things appear! VST support is good, bridging is automatic for 32-bit to run in 64bit. Probably more plugins work with Reap than most other DAWs. Performance as Z says is very good, also installation is quick and small, no Registry settings in Winblows, so getting rid if you hate it is easy too (but you'll probably like it - it's big selling point is that you can customize it to hell when you are ready to, and building quick "macros" of actions bound to a key is just the icing on the cake!).

Sorry for being a fan, but I just find my workflow is good with Reaper. MIDI editor is not the best, but getting better, which is why I use Sibelius and export the midi. The included plugins, whilst not fancy GUI-wise are top notch.

And, as you can see from the Z post, the routing is just second to none.

Now, a Boogie Woogie has been deemed a step too far (!!), so ... hmm ... maybe ... or could it be ambient ... or what? Watch this space ... working on lots of things ....

db

doctorbob wrote:
z.prime wrote:[quote="bjporter]
Shiver me timbers!!!!!??? I wish Cubase could do this... maybe time to try Reaper...
Never a better time! :)
Reaper has it's issues, but is definitely super flexible... but added benefit: when I switched from Cubase SX3, it doubled the number of plugins I could use - way better performance. :)
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yup, a good time to try Brian. Basically it's "tool-less", so can be hard for some to adjust. But, the whole layout is VERY context sensitive ... so just remember to right click all over the place and menus to do all sorts of wonderful things appear! VST support is good, bridging is automatic for 32-bit to run in 64bit. Probably more plugins work with Reap than most other DAWs. Performance as Z says is very good, also installation is quick and small, no Registry settings in Winblows, so getting rid if you hate it is easy too (but you'll probably like it - it's big selling point is that you can customize it to hell when you are ready to, and building quick "macros" of actions bound to a key is just the icing on the cake!).

Sorry for being a fan, but I just find my workflow is good with Reaper. MIDI editor is not the best, but getting better, which is why I use Sibelius and export the midi. The included plugins, whilst not fancy GUI-wise are top notch.

And, as you can see from the Z post, the routing is just second to none.

Now, a Boogie Woogie has been deemed a step too far (!!), so ... hmm ... maybe ... or could it be ambient ... or what? Watch this space ... working on lots of things ....

db[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

+1 for reaper, I started using it as a stop gap before bitwig came out as I really liked what bitwig was promising, got that used to reaper and love the fact you can configure it to hell and back, more specifically how you want your workflow, not got around to testing bitwig (might do that as a challenge for another osc). Routing is definitely second to none as Rob said and the fact tracks aren't specific audio/midi is a plus. Downsides are it does take a bit of getting used to and figuring stuff out for the newbie can be tasking, but has a really helpful community forum, as DB said the midi editing isn't sadly up to par as other daws, but workable. Also you can configure performance wise how the daw works etc.

chilledpanda wrote:
Routing is definitely second to none as Rob said and the fact tracks aren't specific audio/midi is a plus.
... and of course, tracks can be busses, grouped (folders in reap), and so on. You can also (with care) allow feedback in the routing! A track is a track is a track, it's up to you how you use it.

I guess the notion of "mono" tracks gets lost as you have to muck around with input pins. Long standing issue when a plugin says "I'm mono", would be nice if Reaper said, OK, I'll configure this track up for mono use then ... it can be done OK, but it's a faff, sigh ...
Downsides are it does take a bit of getting used to and figuring stuff out for the newbie can be tasking, but has a really helpful community forum
+1 there ... and newbies are treated really well ... also fab free downloadable manuals, a must get
as DB said the midi editing isn't sadly up to par as other daws, but workable. Also you can configure performance wise how the daw works etc.
For sure you can really get into the nitty gritty of how the engine works (easy to foul it up if you are not careful!). Thank goodness for a "factory reset".

And don't forget the price and update service. I'm sure everyone knows Justin's commercial model. And who here didn't use Winamp????

db

I also love how you can have all kinds of themes for Reaper. I am currently using White Tie Imperial on a 2 screen setup.

http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/i ... erial.html

ImNotDedYet wrote:Trying to determine if I want to use FL Studio on this one since I don't want to mess with the 32-bit bridge in Live. But that synth does look very fun! It just may be the thing to bring me back to FL Studio. The TAL one was fun!
I might have to hop on this one. Playing around with it last night a bit, and may be worth facing my personal frustrations with FL Studio for this...

ImNotDedYet wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:Trying to determine if I want to use FL Studio on this one since I don't want to mess with the 32-bit bridge in Live. But that synth does look very fun! It just may be the thing to bring me back to FL Studio. The TAL one was fun!
I might have to hop on this one. Playing around with it last night a bit, and may be worth facing my personal frustrations with FL Studio for this...
Any more details? It might be a synthedit thing? I believe ODSay uses extremely well crafted synth edit modules? or am I drunk?

bjporter wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
Any more details? It might be a synthedit thing? I believe ODSay uses extremely well crafted synth edit modules? or am I drunk?
My frustrations are with FL Studio and how to get things done in it, not the synth. The synth is pretty great, but since it's 32-bit and I have 64-bit Live (DAW of choice) without the 32-bit bridge (heard of issues with that) I have to resort to the madness that for me is FL Studio. (not putting it down in any way - it just doesn't fit my workflow)

ImNotDedYet wrote: My frustrations are with FL Studio and how to get things done in it, not the synth. The synth is pretty great, but since it's 32-bit and I have 64-bit Live (DAW of choice) without the 32-bit bridge (heard of issues with that) I have to resort to the madness that for me is FL Studio. (not putting it down in any way - it just doesn't fit my workflow)
Ah ok... You should be able to install the 32 bit version side by side. I do that with Live 9.

bjporter wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote: My frustrations are with FL Studio and how to get things done in it, not the synth. The synth is pretty great, but since it's 32-bit and I have 64-bit Live (DAW of choice) without the 32-bit bridge (heard of issues with that) I have to resort to the madness that for me is FL Studio. (not putting it down in any way - it just doesn't fit my workflow)
Ah ok... You should be able to install the 32 bit version side by side. I do that with Live 9.
I never thought to try that.

I see the Abes doesn't recommend this, although it would certainly be nice to try. Truthfully, my computer's kind of stretched at the moment on disk space, so I think for this one, I'll stick w/ FL Studio and learn some other tools that I never got around to in FL Studio.

But once I clear off all the wav files for DJing that I never use...I might hit up those youtube videos on installing them side-by-side. Thx for the heads up!

Return to “Instruments”