What we have here is a failure to Communicate.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

We beg for Feature Requests which are often ignored. As Musical Gym in a recent thread and I am confident other have also suggested that it would be great if we can freely copy and paste or drag and drop audio files between DAW’s and VSTi’s.

If there was a standard devised so that this simple communication can take place seamlessly this will enhance workflow and may motivate musicians to purchase more music software. It’s a win-win situation. And perhaps musician will reduce their nagging and begging. Now wouldn’t that be something! :o :D :lol:

Are there any volunteers ready to develop the standard?

I suspect the great majority of users only use one daw, they even stick to old versions. People here is very vocal but is a minnority.
dedication to flying

I agree that there are many people which are now also stick to the old versions but I believe bragging and dropping audio files between DaW's and VST's are also nice.

Not that I disagree with your thoughts on the matter Kalamata Kid, I'm not sure the title to your thread will draw the attention of most devs.

While they frequent KVR, most will be looking for threads relevant to themselves.

Perhaps something like "Devs - Please listen to those that will buy your software". Perhaps :shrug:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

There's already a standard, it's called the clipboard, AKA 'copy and paste'. Another one is 'drag and drop'. There are already ways of achieving this inter-app communication, it just takes the DAW/plugin developers to implement them in their products.

Now imagine if a major DAW manufacturer introduced a new version where the major new feature was drag and drop support. Imagine the joy and celebrations that would follow! Oh, wait...

I would say most buyers/users are unfortunately mindless and uninspired and won't complain, they don't get into the music too much. A select few can't change anything, take KVR, it represents nothing from what I've seen on other forums and Youtube.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Kalamata Kid wrote:We beg for Feature Requests which are often ignored.
To be honest, I'm glad they are. Most feature requests come from a very personal perspective and not necessarily make a product better for all users. Sometimes I think that if devs would incorporate every single feature request, a simple synth like TAL's Bassline101 would become a full featured DAW.
That's not to say that input from users can't make a product better, I believe it will (who better to ask for an opinion than an actual user!), but it's a fine line between useful and bloat.

BDeep wrote:
To be honest, I'm glad they are. Most feature requests come from a very personal perspective and not necessarily make a product better for all users. Sometimes I think that if devs would incorporate every single feature request, a simple synth like TAL's Bassline101 would become a full featured DAW.
That's not to say that input from users can't make a product better, I believe it will (who better to ask for an opinion than an actual user!), but it's a fine line between useful and bloat.

I agree totally, simplicity is also important for a product to be functional and implementing all requests is un realistic and will clutter software.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
BDeep wrote:

I agree totally, simplicity is also important for a product to be functional and implementing all requests is un realistic and will clutter software.
I agree too. Far too often people get stuck on their personal workflow and translate that to include ALL users of a product and then phrase their complaints accordingly.

Like it or not, companies are out there to make profit, so they're not going to have the resources to address every single request - they have to go with a combination of what the majority clamors for and what makes financial sense.

swatwork wrote:There's already a standard, it's called the clipboard, AKA 'copy and paste'. Another one is 'drag and drop'. There are already ways of achieving this inter-app communication, it just takes the DAW/plugin developers to implement them in their products.

Now imagine if a major DAW manufacturer introduced a new version where the major new feature was drag and drop support. Imagine the joy and celebrations that would follow! Oh, wait...
Thanks for the info. I had thought it was more than implementation to accomplish copy and paste and drag and drop. It makes sense. For some reason I had thought that it may require some standard to be developed. So without a standard to be developed and impede progress I hope that it is implemented. This feature as many others I realize are never universally used.

In Word and other MS products copy and past is seamless and I believe in no ways detracts from their functionality. I wonder if they incorporated copy and paste because of customer requests or it was simply obvious to the developers that this is a great feature to have for their products.

Kalamata Kid wrote:it would be great if we can freely copy and paste or drag and drop audio files between DAW’s and VSTi’s.

If there was a standard devised so that this simple communication can take place seamlessly this will enhance workflow
Please explain how in your opinion using multiple DAWs for one project enhances workflow...
Kalamata Kid wrote:I wonder if they incorporated copy and paste because of customer requests or it was simply obvious to the developers that this is a great feature to have for their products.
Would be a first if Microsoft actually listens to customer feedback. I'd imagine they put the technology in the OS kernel themselves, so to use it makes sense. But does it really matter?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:......Would be a first if Microsoft actually listens to customer feedback.....
I wonder if they did if would make them even richer? :shrug:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Well it's not like you can't export/import audio between DAW's already.
Granted, drag and drop would be easier for the user, but still, it's not like if you start with audio in one DAW you can't get it quickly into another.

BertKoor wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:it would be great if we can freely copy and paste or drag and drop audio files between DAW’s and VSTi’s.

If there was a standard devised so that this simple communication can take place seamlessly this will enhance workflow
Please explain how in your opinion using multiple DAWs for one project enhances workflow...
That's a straw man. I am sure it was not intended so I will respond. If one has two DAW's it will be beneficial to able to copy and paste audio files from one DAW to the other.

I believe that this is an ETIFR, Easy To Implement Feature Requests. Perhaps it is a bit more complicated than it seems to be?

Most feature requests I read on the forums I cannot use. If I like it or can use it I put a +1. If I can help them achieve their request I will pitch in with my suggestion. We are a community and help each other.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
BertKoor wrote:

That's a straw man.
Actually it's not - he's referencing comments you made directly - you suggested copying between DAWs and that your proposal would enhance workflow. Where's the straw man?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”