Why is Logic and Pro Tools "Industry Standard"?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently have been to about four or five studios. I was wondering what is the reason for Pro Tools and Logic being the music industry standard? From the engineers and producers that I have met recently and are making a living they know pro tools like the back of their hand. Same goes for Logic. So why not samplitude, sonar or cubase?

I was the only one really who knew studio one in my conversations. Cubase is awesome. Most of the producers who I met, just had their macbook and logic. The producers I met do dance, urban music, and rock. Thanks

My view is that it's about interchangability - what most have newcomers almost need too, kind of.

One guy at Avid forum only used PT to move projects into Reaper. A collaboration gave him a project in PT format. I think this way of working is increasing - you don't have to work in the "industry-standard" daws.

My way of learning the trade is never to use anything shipped with a daw - that makes you independent on that particular daw. It's what vendors want with the bling-bling they ship - make you get used to their stuff so you don't go away. If you use their integrated EQs you get used to that sound - and when moving project you are lost.

I consider 3rd party plugins as my tools that I know well. And the daw is just for recording, and holding the tracks to put plugins you know well in there. Then you can move your project anywhere without loosing out on anything soundwise - if to encounter something about a daw that makes you not wanting to use it anymore, like showstopper problems.

Don't they pay colleges to use/teach with their software?

lfm wrote:My way of learning the trade is never to use anything shipped with a daw - that makes you independent on that particular daw. It's what vendors want with the bling-bling they ship - make you get used to their stuff so you don't go away. If you use their integrated EQs you get used to that sound - and when moving project you are lost.

I consider 3rd party plugins as my tools that I know well. And the daw is just for recording, and holding the tracks to put plugins you know well in there. Then you can move your project anywhere without loosing out on anything soundwise - if to encounter something about a daw that makes you not wanting to use it anymore, like showstopper problems.
+1

I'm the same now, i used to rely heavily on the stuff in Ableton.
:borg:

As far as I know Pro tools or it's predecessor was pretty much the first professional recording solution based on a standard computer, so they had an advantage there. The dedicated hardware which allowed very low latency and DSP plugins when computers weren't as powerful as today helped, too. So people got used to that and stayed with it. Also, and "industry standard" helps as there are no comparability issues when exchanging projects and everyone knows how to work with it.
Logic probably got a big boost especially in the states when it was bought by Apple which was an advantage because "creative" people historically used Macs.
Nevertheless it is different for countries other than the USA. Cubase has a much stronger user base here in Germany, whereas "American" DAWS like Motu or Sonar are not that well known.
All in all it is probably mostly a matter of habit.

Logic is not. Pro tools is in recording studios to a certain extent. Other software is on other audio production environments
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

arkmabat wrote:Don't they pay colleges to use/teach with their software?
I have a feeling that a course I wrote for a college got hijacked into becoming Ableton-heavy because someone above me must have got a kickback. One day I was told that 50% of the course would now be dedicated to Ableton content. Fine by me, I really like Ableton, but it felt weird... Then the other day I was thinking about this, and it suddenly made sense only if one of my department heads was getting some kind of incentive to do this...

Anyway, I don't work there anymore. But with hindsight it sure feels fishy! :scared:

They've been around, serving their respective users, for a long while now. Same goes for Cubase, though.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Pretty easy to answer:

- one of the first to market back in the day
- workflow - mixing and recording workflow in PT is fantastic as is post
- reliability - especially with TDM back in the day, very few end to end systems are available that can record 30 piece orchestras with rock solid, PREDICTABLE performance

I love Logic but it's not an industry standard. It might (mind you.. might) be preferred by many dance/electronic producers. Might.. not sure at all.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:I love Logic but it's not an industry standard. It might (mind you.. might) be preferred by many dance/electronic producers. Might.. not sure at all.
I'd call something like MIDI an "industry standard" which is globally universal. The closest example I can think of in software is Photoshop. In the 1990s I think Protools would've qualified, but since the explosion of so many native DAWs over the past 20 years the landscape is far more splintered, especially in the studio and even more so depending on the country. I could see a case made for Ableton with live stage shows.

Every studio I have worked in has been a Pro Tools studio. Avid controllers are really good and it also has powerful DSP processing as well as it keeps it all compatible between departments which saves precious time and money.

tonkatodd wrote:Every studio I have worked in has been a Pro Tools studio. Avid controllers are really good and it also has powerful DSP processing as well as it keeps it all compatible between departments which saves precious time and money. I
Just to ad. If you're at an initial production stage then you can use other software and bounce down to stems but it pays to have a copy of PT on hand to prepare it for sending to the next department. I use to do that with Logic but now I just use PT as the main host.

Oh come on.. jive talk :)

"Industry standard" is a PR talk for ignorant, gullible and lazy people who have some money to burn. It doesn't mean anything but maybe that the software have been recognised and sold enough copies to be called that way.
However, there's no institution that rewards a software "Industry Standard" prize AFAIK, so companies just use it when they feel like it.

btw. you forgot to mention Nuendo, Cubase, Pyramix, iZotope RX... and all others who call their software "Industry Standard". It's just a stupid PR stunt to make you feel like you're being "pro" by using it, but of course a "pro" is a "pro" no matter what software he or she uses. Hits have been made with all kinds of software, not only with "industry standard" software.

IMO, from more than 20 years of experience with audio making, be it with computers or analog studios, is that tools are just - tools and I found many of the so called "Industry standard" tools being quite sub-par to some other tools. It depends on lots of factors... eh? ;)

Cheers!
Last edited by DuX on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”