Donkey

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what hardware do you use? workflow so far? any hardware synths?
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

YouTube tutorials made by 12 year olds provide all you need to know about the creation of music production.

Learn one synth properly.
Don't get caught in the trap of fiddling all day to get the perfect sound when you haven't got the tune/beat sorted out..
Learn at least some basic music theory.
https://www.coursera.org/course/musictheory

Join some sort of online school/course/read magazines etc.
Deconstruct other's songs in that genre yourself/watch others make and deconstruct them
Practice-practice -practice..
Last edited by excessional on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

Yotta2r wrote: Ofc I didn't read the manual; i'm not an old man.
Are you not passionate about synths? Doesn't reading about what a synth can do and how to do it set your mind spinning with possibilities and your heart racing? If not, perhaps you need a different hobby?

Reading and practice/experimentation were all I needed to get comfortable with synths and effects. No fast-track tutorials, producer masterclasses, or whatever else needed. Just passion and the will to learn. All the information you need is out there in plain sight, and all you need on top of that is dedication.

Run an oscilloscope and spectrograph plugin when you're experimenting with synths and effects. While ultimately what you hear is what counts, using visual analysis to bolster your learning really makes concepts like modulation, PWM, EQing/mixing, compressing, envelopes, etc easier to "grok".
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Mivo wrote:Talent is mostly a myth. Or rather, it's probably a synonym of "affinity", which shows itself in form of the willingness to put in the hard work and the effort, no matter how frustrating or boring it may seem at times.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”