What hosts still don't support x32 and x64 plugs at the same time?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The reality is that there are people who have gone 64 bit, some who are 64 bit with some way of still running 32bit plugins (bridging, second DAW installed, etc.) and some who doggedly stick with 32 bit.

Clearly 32 bit is waning, as evidenced by the companies who no longer produce 32 bit software, so the balance will move towards 64 bit slowly but surely.

Every person here sits somewhere on that line between 100% 32 bit and 100% 64 bit. That's it really.

chk071 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
32bit is eventually going to die. What will you do then?
How will it die? Will all 32-bit operating systems magically stop working at once?
Yeah. It will be a loooong time until 32-bit vanishes. Compatibility is a very important thing in OS's and software. Many companies still run Windows XP e.g.

True. But MS stopped support for XP. That's just the beginning of course. A lot of companies run software, that are still not updated for newer OS, so these companies stick to XP. They have to ;)

Still unsure, if that will have an influence to our work. As long as you don't always update your DAW and other important software to the newest version, you will be running your system for looooong time.

Me too is still using XP. For my Nord Modular. Its editor is not available for the newest OS (Mac and Win) :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

as evidenced by the companies who no longer produce 32 bit software
there are? who?
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

tony tony chopper wrote:
as evidenced by the companies who no longer produce 32 bit software
there are? who?
The one that comes to mind is IK Multimedia - there's a huge thread somewhere about people being disappointed with their new software no longer being available in 32 bit versions.

Um, who would be so restrictive to his own business to not publish 32-bit versions of his software, when a lot of people are still on 32-bit hosts or OS's? Seems very counterproductive.

that's crazy
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

Just found it:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... dia+64+bit

This one dragged on for a while...

deft_bonz wrote: My old MacPro had drop outs due to perfomance lack, when I was running 2-3 Divas and 1 Lush101 while running 10 multiouts from Battery 4 for drums. Now, the same old Mac updated to Mavericks and LX, can do the double (if unclear >>> 4-6 Divas plus 2 Lush101) without drops.
Well, consider yourself lucky. You may be the first person I've seen report an improvement of performance updating to Mavericks/Logic 10 per se. I always see problems.
But I think it isn't per se, I think the combination of plugins and host and OS is a nice sandbox or not. Some devs have quit testing with older OSs such as Snow Leopard. Some did quite some time ago I think.

I'm all about if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So even as NI is making things hard to install, and saying they cannot be installed, they can and work correctly. At some point it won't, and some plugins I would use will not install or if installed be seen by my host. Cubase 7 will not install here, none of their new product will at all. Probably Lion is not real troublesome but there's no critical mass at this time. I resisted Kontakt 5 until this summer and certain things I now deem essential require it. I don't fear change, I just hate trouble.

I run fairly large loads at times. I did have to unload a number of things in order to load new things for a new section last week, but this 'template' is kind of massive. I would need another slave to load it all. If there is a situation I will enounter where I have real dropouts, it's a matter of needing a whole computer in addition. I put some real money into being as future-proof as I could five and a half yrs ago and this thing is still capable. But if it was a DAW host I would be bringing it to its knees all the time.

I consider myself lucky, that upgrading from L8 and 10.6.8 32bit on the old MacPro to LX 10.9.4 64bit on a new iMac with new sound hardware and the old MacPro was relatively cool. There are some issues and crashes, but most plugins run smoothly. I had expected a rather big obstacle to this upgrade.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”