Polyphonic Aftertouch (or Better) should be standard

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't think I'm buying another keyboard controller until polyphonic aftertouch is standard. I'm not buying the whole "too expensive to implement" thing. The phone I have in my pocket is too expensive to implement. And yet we all have one (well, a whole lot of us do). Time for some forward thinking on keyboards that isn't boutique. "It-would-be-too-expensive" is the thumbscrew of innovation. Companies are building flexible display screens, for god's sake. Polyphonic aftertouch is child's play. But they won't do it until we demand it. Make it happen!

how many softsynths do respond to poly aftertouch? CS80 ... i love the idea too, but there seems to be a long way to go.
"It dreamed itself along"

Seems like you won't be buying another keyboard controller for a loooong time, then.

mellotronaut wrote:how many softsynths do respond to poly aftertouch? CS80 ... i love the idea too, but there seems to be a long way to go.
How many would if there was?

Practically every time a company does a poly-AT keyboard they go bust or give up. I'd love another one but, for the moment, the only thing I can do is take good care of my Ensoniq VFX.

mellotronaut wrote:how many softsynths do respond to poly aftertouch? CS80 ... i love the idea too, but there seems to be a long way to go.
Alchemy, Zebra and Omnisphere are on the list, so that should cover a reasonably broad spectrum of softsynth users.

First of all, there is either "Channel Pressure" (which is falsely referred to as "aftertouch") or "AfterTouch" (as in for each key), no "polyphonic aftertouch".

Not only are companies not gonna make keyboards with aftertouch, most of them are making keyboards without channel pressure, either. People just don't care about this. Frankly, I don't care much about it, either. Yes, it can be nice, fun, useful, "expressive", but the truth is that nowadays (well, for the last two decades or so) you can just record your performance and (with instruments that support it) easily record or manually edit aftertouch velocity for each note separately after it was recorded and most likely get even better results than you would have during live performance. Yes, so if you want it for live performance, tough luck, it sucks, but it's just not a popular enough feature for companies to invest so much resources / money in.
Last edited by Shy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Gamma-UT wrote:
Alchemy, Zebra and Omnisphere are on the list, so that should cover a reasonably broad spectrum of softsynth users.
thanks! :) is there an affordable keyboard min. 49 keys with poly aftertouch?

mellotronaut wrote:thanks! :) is there an affordable keyboard min. 49 keys with poly aftertouch?
If only. I'm not aware of one other than the Kickstarter project that popped up on here a while back but that seems to have disappeared.

If you can live with 61, the Ensoniq VFX is not a bad choice, just as long as it's had the full list of fixes. You can't have mine. Dead cold hands and all that.

Gamma-UT wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:thanks! :) is there an affordable keyboard min. 49 keys with poly aftertouch?
If only. I'm not aware of one other than the Kickstarter project that popped up on here a while back but that seems to have disappeared.

If you can live with 61, the Ensoniq VFX is not a bad choice, just as long as it's had the full list of fixes. You can't have mine. Dead cold hands and all that.
so i will wait a looooong time too. :x

Is this confirmation that the new NI keyboards don't have PA?

It has channel AT, not poly. Fatar doesn't make any poly AT actions.

mellotronaut wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:
There's the CME X-key, which is a little 25 key controller for 100 bucks. It's fun to mess around with. I'm hoping they expand to something with real keys.

A different option is an Eigenharp Pico and configuring one of the directions of travel for the keys to poly aftertouch. However, the resolution is so good on those that get better mileage just transmitting OSC to a synth or host that understands it.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audientronic wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:
There's the CME X-key, which is a little 25 key controller for 100 bucks. It's fun to mess around with. I'm hoping they expand to something with real keys.
looks a bit toyish ... and Jordan again ... aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh :help: ... anyway PA for 100 bucks ... thanks again! :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”