New OB-X inspired VSTi (OB-Xtreme) -- how does it compare to the previous ones?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't we leave that little dispute behind now? Ingo's tests were ill-fated, and I guess he realized it himself. But he is a nice guy and readily helps where he can. Don't we all screw up from time to time? I sure do :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:If he adds a PW control you would get both and everything in between. :D
No, that's the problem, those two types of pulse exclude each other, no matter which pw setting you use.

PS: I just remembered I had a thread on that some time ago :)
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&start=15
Really? Didn't that happen only if you use custom SE modules?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I don't know if it is a SE issue or a more general one. I know the pulse of just a few proprietary synths such as Dune and Saurus from the demo versions and they sound like the one found in many SE synths as well, but not in all.
And since the OB-Xtreme is also SE and I use pulse a whole lot, I was simply wondering :)

Okay, afaik Aly dont use custom modules so chance is big (if it's a SE issue) it's irrelevant for my understanding.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Where does one set velocity sensitivity, if at all?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Where does one set velocity sensitivity, if at all?
You're right, Fluffy, it can be a good point to suggest Aly James to add for example among the settings available via the button "Sets" which is at the bottom. For example in replacing the boolean "No/yes" of "Velocity to VCF" and "Velocity to Vol" by an amount "0..12" like it's done for the "Pitchbend range".

Aly James, what do you think of this suggestion?
:phones:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Can't we leave that little dispute behind now? Ingo's tests were ill-fated, and I guess he realized it himself. But he is a nice guy and readily helps where he can. Don't we all screw up from time to time? I sure do :hihi:
Fair enough. Apologize, all, for carrying on about it.

RE: velocity... Click on the "SETS" button...

RE: DMX from earlier comment... If you have VLINN you can at least load the DMX samples in VLINN... Obviously not exactly the same thing but halfway there at least. Go to the site referenced on the AJL VLINN and VSDSX product pages.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

BlackWinny wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Where does one set velocity sensitivity, if at all?
You're right, Fluffy, it can be a good point to suggest Aly James to add for example among the settings available via the button "Sets" which is at the bottom. For example in replacing the boolean "No/yes" of "Velocity to VCF" and "Velocity to Vol" by an amount "0..12" like it's done for the "Pitchbend range".

Aly James, what do you think of this suggestion?
:phones:
And let's have a party!
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

It's at the page 13 of the thread that we can see at last a constructive suggestion!

Thanks Fluffy!
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Hum... Pardon my ignorance, everybody, but... what is DMX?

DMX was Oberheim's drum computer, very popular in the 80s :)

Oh, thanks. So velocity settings are in Sets. When you switch it on in the current solution, is it set to a reasonable value or do I have to smash the keys to get it to play louder or brighter? :hihi:

Since it is supposed to be a basic synth, maybe a 3-position switch would be enough, offering a soft, normal, and hard velocity settings. On my old digital piano it was also done like that.

valerian_777 wrote:Okay, afaik Aly dont use custom modules so chance is big (if it's a SE issue) it's irrelevant for my understanding.
I am not sure if you wanted to say the opposite... but all my VST use custom modules, aka custom functions I have compiled in C++
So most of the SE "sound" people usually relate to is irrelevant.

As for the Pulse Width debated above, I have checked both examples on the other pointed thread (about differences with Synth1 PWM and the other one I can't remember the name)
What I can say is that you can easily create both, it is simply related on how you do it :)

There is no need for special voodoo code, just to know how ahahaha, If you want a straight PWM with full masking (ala synth1 example) simply modulate the VOLUME of the first Square wave with the second square wave... if then you change the phase on let's say the second you have phase masking, if you want that C64 SID type PWM, simply change slightly the pitch of the second square wave...sweeet PWM!

I know well about that as I have worked a lot on square waves for my SPSG VST which can also read PCM with only one square wave generator....
As I always say, you can get pretty creative out of limitations :)
Last edited by Aly James on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All your suggestions are nice and you could obviously add a ton :)
But as I have said before this was not intended to be a full featured VA Synth, rather a simple one.
However, All essential controls are there, some obvious ones like transpose or velocity mapping have been left out because most of today DAWS have easy MIDI tweaking inserts :)
Velocity is applied fully on volume or VCF when activated, it means that the 128 Velocity MIDI range will be applied to volume or VCF cutoff (depending on the Cutoff setting).
A velocity amount could have been added indeed as suggested above if you don't want to bother with MIDI inserts, so probably in future updates :)
MIDI learn can also be very powerful, as you can also link multiple controls to only one knob for nice macro control...

Regarding PWM, I think just a "pulse" button for switching between saw and pulse, and a PW knob would be all that's needed to make me happy. Modulation I can draw in in the DAW. Nice to have knobs for a PWM LFO, start and end PW values, mod shape, etc, but in a minimalist synth, not really needed. So all that's added is a knob and a button. I also really like the legato triggering option suggested earlier in this thread. Those two features would double my enjoyment of this synth, and that's saying something.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Regarding PWM, I think just a "pulse" button for switching between saw and pulse, and a PW knob would be all that's needed to make me happy. Modulation I can draw in in the DAW. Nice to have knobs for a PWM LFO, start and end PW values, mod shape, etc, but in a minimalist synth, not really needed. So all that's added is a knob and a button. I also really like the legato triggering option suggested earlier in this thread. Those two features would double my enjoyment of this synth, and that's saying something.
Humm indeed, that level dependent legato option is definitely interesting...:)

Btw, those who have OB-XTREME already can download this patch here it showcases how you can make a Pulse Width modulated Square waveform lead out of the Saw OSC... ala C64 SID :)

Return to “Instruments”