My perfect channel strip plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I kinda like the concept of a virtual channel strip, instead of inserting an EQ and a compressor and whatnot I setup a template with a channel strip in each channel and am good to go. I can always use special stuff after that.
So this is my idea of a perfect channel strip:
  • Hi- and LoCut, switchable between 6db and 12db
  • classic 4-band EQ, hi and lo shelf and two parametric mid bands
  • compressor: opto/vca/fet mode, the usual controls plus side chain and mix knob
  • saturation/analog emulation (switchable)
  • input and output gain
  • GUI: clear, no-nonsense design, readable fonts and font sizes, not too small
  • no gate. I don't use gate.
  • each module has an on/off switch. Position of EQ and compressor in signal flow is interchangeable.
  • stepped controls
  • peak and rms metering (switchable for in and out)
  • low CPU, low price :D
Needless to say I haven't found it yet.

What is your perfect channel strip and have you found it?

Cakewalk\Kajrehus Audio Vintage Channel!
SlickEQ GE

The SKNote console emu (I forget what it's called) would probably tick the most boxes on your list.

c_bomb wrote:The SKNote console emu (I forget what it's called) would probably tick the most boxes on your list.
You mean StripBus? It's very nice sounding but it has one major downside (for me): it uses quite a lot cpu power. And for a channelstrip supposed to be loaded on every channel that's quite crucial :(
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

SlickEQ is not a channel strip, but I would love to see TDL's take on that topic! Also Klanghelm...

I have the SKnote stripbus, but it lacks an integrated compressor and frankly, I dislike that grey in grey GUI, hard to use...
I have tried some channel strips, it's often usability and workflow issues that keep me from using them (too small, barely legible labels, don't support mouse wheel and other stuff. I am kind of picky...).

Alloy 2 has a lot of those features you want. Might be worth checking out ?
:borg:

yzcoruhT

Interesting post. I'm also searching for the good channel strip for my standard insertion.
Currently using Vintage Channel included in SONAR here. It is very CPU friendly and sounds not bad.
Nomad Analog TrackBox is also my favorite.

Hornet Channel Strip; I like his compressor and bought, but not much love for this. GUI is too small.
SugarBytes Vogue; It has too much functions which I don't use.
DDMF The Strip; Smart GUI and function. Selectable oversampling. Concerning to buy this.
T-RackS Series; CPU hog.
eaReckon CS-STRIP 87; Not bad but I prefer DDMF.
iZotope Alloy; CPU hog.
soundcloud.com/yudaidhun

That does look interesting, to bad their site doesn't exist anymore...

Alloy 2 seems really well designed, a real workhorse with good ideas. Gotta try the demo. Tempting, especially for $75 at jrrshop.

Thanks for your suggestions, now I'd still be interested how you would design you personal channel strip, just for fun!

This is a bit expensive but it kind of lets you build your own channel strip. It's also kind of quiet over at URS, so I'm not even sure if they are making plugins anymore or not.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StripProNat/

fese wrote:

I know! I bought it when it was only 29$, but currently I don't use it. I'm thinking about selling it, but there is no support for this dev, am I right, mr. GeorgeZ?
yzcoruhT

Yudaidhun wrote: Hornet Channel Strip; I like his compressor and bought, but not much love for this. GUI is too small.
Tried that too. Really too small and the metering is a joke. Nice concept though with the two compressor units.
Yudaidhun wrote: DDMF The Strip; Smart GUI and function. Selectable oversampling. Concerning to buy this.
Really interesting apart from the lack of a dedicated makeup gain on the compressor. Annoyed the hell out of me...
Yudaidhun wrote: T-RackS Series; CPU hog.
Yep. Also unreadable text labels.
Yudaidhun wrote: eaReckon CS-STRIP 87; Not bad but I prefer DDMF.
I have it but don't use it much somehow. The scaling of some of the knobs (compressor attack up to 500ms, but finetuning the interesting 10-50ms is a chore) and the silly two decimal places at EQ gain turn me off. Good functionality, though, quite flexible.

I also got Eventide Ultrachannel when it was free, good plug, alas it has such tiny labels and knobs that I find it hard on the eyes with normal viewing distance...

fese wrote:
It's also too buggy for use. I suspect it's pretty much a reduced version of WaveArts Trackplug anyway as it was designed by the same dev:

http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/trackplug/

Trackplug is the best channelstrip I know of.

Another one that might be worth demoing is http://www.voxengo.com/product/voxformer/

It is kind of aimed at people producing vocals, but I think you might be able to get away with using it on other things too.

Metric Halo Channelstrip 3. Doesn't have all your requests but it's very close. I'm liking it a lot.

Return to “Effects”