Need help recovering (via Linux live CD) from Win comp that won't boot. ARGH!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I second the recommendation for using the HP recovery partition. I had to do this on my mom's computer not too long ago because it was running like crap and nothing a tried (and I tried a lot) helped. It's a straightforward process and more or less gives you a clean install (it may include a bit of bloatware, but I don't remember anything too egregious). Anyway, one really nice thing about using the recovery partition is that it includes all the drivers specific to that machine, allowing you to get it up and running with minimum hassle. Also, I was able to use the same windows 7 key as before the wipe. I'm pretty sure it set this up automatically (I did save a copy of the key, but I don't remember needing to use it), but I'd follow the instructions in whyterabbyt's link to back up your key before proceeding, just to be safe.

So wait... even though I now have the product key (thanks to the program whyterabbyt linked to earlier)... if I do a reinstall it won't work?

Good point about the drivers with regards to the recovery partiton.

Also, lesson learned concerning driver updates. I got lazy and started relying on driver update software (I had previously used Slim Drivers but changed to IOBit's Driver Booster about a year ago or so).
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

MachFront wrote:So wait... even though I now have the product key (thanks to the program whyterabbyt linked to earlier)... if I do a reinstall it won't work?
I'm pretty sure it should. Back when I was using xp I was able to wipe my pc (using just an xp installation disc) and reinstall windows on it multiple times using the same key. You may want to find a more authoritative source to corroborate this, though. Sorry if my post was misleading.

Well, reformatting and installing of the current partition won't touch the recovery partition (right?).
So, could I try a new install and if the key does not work then go with using the recovery partition (however that works...finding useful stuff on the HP website is making me hate life)?

I'm kind of out of my depth here, but I think that's how it works. I run Windows on a Macbook via bootcamp, and whenever I install it it allows me to choose a partition to install on, so I don't see why it would work any differently here. Also, here are the (super simple) instructions for using the recovery partition: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 67418#N329. Basically you just hit F11 as the pc is starting and select "System Recovery." Personally, I'd try the recovery partition before going for a completely clean installation (since it's faster and easier to set up), but I believe either order will work.

p.s. sorry if I'm not helping much. I'm mostly replying since I have a bit of experience with this and no one else seems to be posting here right now

Yes, you can choose whatever partition. I was just wondering if perhaps something odd during install would 'reach over' and do some...thing... to the recovery partition. I simply have no idea. I mean Windows creates a system-specific partition all on it's own that's tiny for...some purpose or another, so I didn't know if the install would also effect the recovery partition in some way.

I'm getting conflicting info (and being even more confused) about the OEM key working on a clean install.
This article claims it to be doable and that the misunderstanding stems from the fact that it wasn't doable with XP.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -a-new-pc/

But further searching on SevenForums and the like...I just can't find and absolute and simple straightforward answer.

So it seems that the COA key on the sticker will work but the key found by way of keyfinder software will not (as it's something differnent, used with the vendor's OEM install media, whereas the COA key is unique to the machine itself).
Unfortunately my sticker is unreadable. :(

OKAY!
After spending much time with a bright overhead light, a flashlight, shifting the angle this way and that, killing my eyes and a ton of patience I believe I've gleaned my product key from my CoA sticker (thanks to the impressions left from the stamping). I'm 99% certain on all but the very last number/letter which seems to be a "C" but may be a 6 or 8 or O.
Also...how to tell the difference between 0 and O on these stickers?

More importantly, will I be able to try a few combinations of product key or do I only have one or three chances?

I'm going to try a suggestion I found elsewhere to run a small amount of acrylic paint on one's finger very gently across the sticker to 'fill in' the impressions so the numbers are readable (or more so), but the sticker is rubbed so smooth near the end and with a number of hairline scratches on it's surface it may be impossible to tell with 100% certainty.

Big update.

I ran recovery as suggested by a few here. Success!
HP (thankfully) had an option called "Minimized Image Recovery" which installed Windows, the necessary drivers and only a few of the HP bloatware(s).
The whole thing took precisely 69 mins.
About 20 mins for it to 'prepare'. About 50-some-odd mins to install. Then about five mins to setup (choose time and network,etc.).

Now the wonderful and special Hell of updates and turning off all those damn services and tweaking and...stuff. But, I count myself blessed.
Thanks to everyone who read and responded. You guys are all next-to-the-Last Starfighters. ;) :D

MachFront wrote:It took some time but I have my files saved
Verify that any deeply nested folders you copied, actually include their contents.
Especially when dealing from a damaged filesystem. Don't assume flashing drive lights, and the passage of time, mean total success. It's worth the time to double check.
Cheers

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”