Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lunardigs wrote: When saving a preset, a generic X11 window should appear, titled "Save preset" (minimized on my system, so look at your task bar, because it's easy to miss)...
Thank you for the reply, however in my case since save button in plugin is unresponsive, (there is no error in console either).. I forgot Reaper is capable of saving the plugin state as a preset, omiting any dependency on DE/DM, filemanager and this works with some minor glitches, as changing presets does not always set/reset to new plugin state.
:b

Hi nosucherror,

I'm also using 16.04 LTS. It works fine on my main computer (in repairs) but this other computer has a hex and the u-he plugins crash when I click on a context menu.

Right now I am using the bizarre work around of installing Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and then installing xfce desktop environment over that and running the plugins in xfce - now all the plugins work fine, but they don't work in any other situation (Xubuntu 16.04, Elementary OS, Linux Mint 18 etc). Not sure why this works but its something to do with the window manager I think.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Adrienne

Hi, All Plug in U-He work perfect on kx studio 14.04.05 - 64 bit on my imac 24 and on Debian Stretch 9 - 64 bit . I have two partition and remove mac osx el capitain. First partition there is Kx Studio 14.04.05 - 64 bit and Second partition there is Debian Stretch 9 - 64 bit.My imac 24 have core duo duo at 2,4 ghz and 3 giga ram..... Naturally some plug in ( zebra 2,bazille,diva) ,they require more hardware resources in terms of ram memory and processor, but synt like podolsky, treeple cheeze, zebralette are fine despite my confinement being very old :wink: ciao

gennaro from naples-italy

PS : i have test U-He plug in on Mixbus 4.2.74 - Ardour 5,12, Qtractor 0.80
Bitwig Studio 4.0.1 - Live Ableton 10/11 standard + MaxMsp 8 - Reaper 6.3.4 - Waveform 11 - Mixbus 7 - Ardour 6.9
Mx Linux 21.4 Hp elite 8200 sff (Debian Bullseye based + kx studio) - mx linux 19.4 (Asus x54c) Windows 10

I bit the bullet and got Diva and Repro with the BitWig promo; thou I have to run them in older Ubuntu. I am sure the windowing problem in newer versions ought to be a silly thing, hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Bought Repro-1 Yesterday. It was already on my list since the beta version, but other priorities.

Got now Repro, ace, hive, presswork And freebees.
From the free ones i only use beatzille and Tyrell Often.

Everthing works good on my Old i5 pc with Debian testing/unstable.

I don't know why I waited so long. Just installed Presswerk and it's really amazing. There is nothing else like it available for Linux. THANK YOU. Buying now.

In case anyone from U-he is here...

Without looking through the 68 pages of this thread, can you say why these are considered beta?

These are such amazing plugins, it seems like it's a significant achievement that deserves a mention on your website (even if you have a disclaimer that support isn't available or something). It think you should be proud of these tools and not hide them on an obscure forum post! :)

muffler, I agree. Take a look at this whole thread here for a better explanation:

Why Are the Linux Versions of U-He Products Hidden On the U-He Web Page
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=487895

If you can't click some GUI elements, e.g. the theme settings in Zebra, than check that you are not running a wayland session! Everything is smooth on X11, see my other thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=492290

klingt.net wrote:If you can't click some GUI elements, e.g. the theme settings in Zebra, than check that you are not running a wayland session! Everything is smooth on X11, see my other thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=492290
Wayland is going to be the default on the new Ubuntu 17.10 that is out in 13 days, and has already been default for many releases in Fedora. X11 is the past.

We definitely need Wayland compatibility with the next set of u-he Linux plugin releases! If not, at least XWayland :tu: (the compatibility layer to run legacy X11 applications on Wayland.)

I don't know what will happen in the next months. Yes, Wayland is the future but closed source applications usually live way in the past. Instead of using the system frameworks like GTK or Qt they use home brew stuff or statically linked versions. Some use frameworks that were created by one man shows like Juce and so on. So support for future windowing systems is not available out of the box and may take months to arrive (if ever).

XWayland is nice but parts of the VST windowing system actually need to shovel window handles around, do re-parenting on system level, show modal dialog boxes etc. I really don't know how well this will work when you mix X11 hosts with Wayland plugins or the other way around.

In the open source world it's not a problem at all. You'll usually just have to recompile the plugin/host on the new system and everything works. With closed source you have to wait for the vendor to provide an update at some point.

Hi,
I'm running Repro~1 in Carla on Fedora 26. Carla's Logs get flooded with these messages when and only when I run Repro~1:

Code: Select all

carla_vst_hostCanDo("NIMKPIVendorSpecificCallbacks") - unknown feature
More than one of those messages comes in each second.
Any idea what's going on there? What can I do about it?

--kapsap
Last edited by kapsap on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

muffler wrote:In case anyone from U-he is here...
Without looking through the 68 pages of this thread, can you say why these are considered beta?
Linux itself is a perpetual beta, not necessarily from a quality assurance
or stability perspective, but from the constant motion of the kernel,
the gui toolkits, the C libraries, and the outcomes of various power plays.

This requires software devs to plant foundations on sandbanks,
and hope the tides are favourable, knowing that storms are seasonal,
in the best case scenario. Fortunately, a lot of what is under the hood
of a debian system, has a cousin in rpm based systems, and package-building
systems like Arch and Slackware, so a linux based musician never has far
to travel to reach success.

My guess is U-he are happy to see linux customers grow in numbers,
and realize a beta label won't hinder anyone serious about
owning great instruments and effects, while allowing them some leeway
in the technical support arena, where linux users are able to access
and correct system code when needed, rather than waiting on
Apple or Msoft.
Cheers
doing that.

kapsap wrote:Hi,
I'm running Repro~1 in Carla on Fedora 26. Carla's Logs get flooded with these messages:

Code: Select all

carla_vst_hostCanDo("NIMKPIVendorSpecificCallbacks") - unknown feature
More than one of those messages comes in each second.
Any idea what's going on there? What can I do about it?

--kapsap
Carla's creator, falkTX has a forum at this link:

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=47

And also his dev site will have the usual bug report setup,
should this be be a bug. I suggest trying the linux port
of Reaper, to see if any related message floods occur.

Reaper download is at https://www.landoleet.org/

I run reaper and most important apps from a terminal,
and am often amazed at the massive parade of text data,
to which audio quality seems completely impervious.
Cheers

Carla's creator, falkTX has a forum at this link:
[...]
And also his dev site will have the usual bug report setup,
should this be be a bug.
Well, it doesn't look like a bug in Carla in the firstsense. What the log says is that Repro-1 (and AFAICT the other u-he synths as well) is trying to call a vendor specific callback function that the Carla host doesn't implement. So the real questions that arise are:

1. What is the callback about?
1b. Do I miss something running Repro-1 in a host that doesn't implement those callbacks?
2. Are there hosts running on Linux that implement these callbacks?
3. Why doesn't Repro stop calling those callbacks when they are not implemented in the host?
3b. Is there a way to stop Repro from trying to call these callbacks?

Return to “u-he”