Omnisphere - worth $500?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

I'm looking to buy new toys and try to get some different instruments in my arsenal. One synth I have heard peers mention is Omnisphere. Everyone seems to own it. However, at a $500 price tag on the Spectronics site, it seems ludricrously expensive compared to synth purchases in the past. What warrants such a price?

What makes this synth unique?
What kind of envelopes do you have? 4 sliders or draw in like Fm8?

Am I going to make sounds with this that I can't make in Sylenth, Massive, FM8, or Absynth? Why?

brekehan wrote:I'm looking to buy new toys and try to get some different instruments in my arsenal. One synth I have heard peers mention is Omnisphere. Everyone seems to own it. However, at a $500 price tag on the Spectronics site, it seems ludricrously expensive compared to synth purchases in the past. What warrants such a price?
Because it's amazing.
It's amazing.
Amazing envelopes.
Am I going to make sounds with this that I can't make in Sylenth, Massive, FM8, or Absynth?
You are going to make amazing sounds.
Why?
Because it's amazing, duh!

Answers to the questions:

Yes.
Spectrasonics samples.
I have paper envelopes with no sliders.

You can make sounds you cannot make in any other hybrid synth/ROMpler because Omnisphere comes with not only a synth but unique Spectrasonics samples.

Really if it were just the synth, no wouldn't be worth $500. If you already have most of the Spectrasonics sample libraries in their previous non-omnisphere format, then it's not really worth it.

That said I think Massive kicks its ass all over the place. :D

The one thing I appreciate about Omni, among many things, is clear sound. I find other synths muddy but not Omnisphere.

But this is subjective no doubt. Not saying other synths are no good...far from it. Just something I appreciate about it.

It was worth $500 to me. It does sound amazing....to me. Will it be to you? Only for you to say.

Since there are no demos of Spectra products available, I suggest head over to your nearest music store that has a demo for you to try out.

Then you'll know if it's worth $500 to you.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I might be somewhat of the minority here but I don't especially like Omnisphere. It will be able to produce sounds you can't in any of the synths listed above, but keep in mind that the same can be said of those synths in relation to Omnisphere (they can produce what Omnisphere can't). The reason it can produce sounds that they can't is because Omnisphere is a synth/sampler. It comes equipped with a bunch of samples that you can layer against a more typical VA waveform or another sample if you wanted to. None of those synths you mentioned above are samplers so they are inevitably unable to produce the exact same sounds.

I suppose the price is probably because it contains as many samples as it does and it has a very large factory library of patches. The actual synth component of Omnisphere is far less capable than any of the synths you mentioned above, it certainly can function being used as just a synth, but it is far less capable. It's a good instrument, but really do be sure you wanna put down $500 on it before you buy it. I would especially advise against an impulse buy with Omnisphere (not that it's ever a good habit, but even less so with something this pricey). I would personally skip it and put the money towards some other stuff, or get better with what you got I suppose :) .

I'd recommend taking any subjective comments with a grain of salt as an aside. There's a reason most of the comments made about synths in regards to being "super clear", "razor sharp", "wicked dirty" etc etc are never proven. They're quite normally an invention of the persons mind!! We all do it though so no offence to anyone. :oops:

It was worth it to me but I wasn't dumb enough to pay full retail. You can buy it with a good coupon on Musicians Friend or some place like that. Usually like 15% off $479. But also MF sometimes sells gift cards for approx. 15% off then you can stack that with a coupon.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

'Worth' is really dependent on the person buying it.
Some say it is and some have said it isn't.
When it's in stock, I've seen it at $419.00 and during that time considered it.
(I passed on it and bought four Tone2 synths for less than that instead).
Good synth, I just don't think it's worth $500 to answer your question.
Or even $420.00 (When in stock).

BBFG# wrote: When it's in stock, I've seen it at $419.00 and during that time considered it.
I don't mean to derail the conversation but may I ask where you got 4 Tone2 synths for under $420? That's a damn good deal.

KingTuck wrote:...it certainly can function being used as just a synth, but it is far less capable.
You're absolutely wrong here, mate. ;)

Check this for a start: http://player.vimeo.com/video/17383889? ... autoplay=0

KingTuck wrote:
BBFG# wrote: When it's in stock, I've seen it at $419.00 and during that time considered it.
I don't mean to derail the conversation but may I ask where you got 4 Tone2 synths for under $420? That's a damn good deal.
JRRShop during a Best Service BOGO deal. And yes, considering I never saw Tone 2 dip any more than $10.00 off of them, it was a damn great deal.

elassi wrote:
KingTuck wrote:...it certainly can function being used as just a synth, but it is far less capable.
You're absolutely wrong here, mate. ;)

Check this for a start: http://player.vimeo.com/video/17383889? ... autoplay=0
Absolutely wrong I was! Thanks for the reality check.

Been a while since I've used Omnisphere a lot. Evidently I'm out of whack here :lol: .

What I've found as "far less capable" in Omnisphere has been the sales people trying to sell it to me. ;)
It does what it does how it does it. Most of it is easy to get around and figure out by yourself and I'm sure there are deeper layers I've never got to explore. However in asking others some specifics about it, found that what I wanted most from it was not its forte and those same owners have told me for that synthesis method (Granular), Alchemy was the better way to go.

And then there's the 'psycho-acoustic' question. As much as I've been able to gather, Omni samples are psycho-acoustically sampled but processed in its regular engines. Where as Tone 2 synths are psycho-acoustically processed as part of the engines. And then of course, the controversial aspect of sample import comes up too. This alone is what makes Omni a rompler-synth as opposed to a sampler-synth. Unless Eric introduces an update with more samples, what you get is all you get. (Or unless you buy Trillian to add to it).

BBFG# wrote:What I've found as "far less capable" in Omnisphere has been the sales people trying to sell it to me. ;)
It does what it does how it does it. Most of it is easy to get around and figure out by yourself and I'm sure there are deeper layers I've never got to explore. However in asking others some specifics about it, found that what I wanted most from it was not its forte and those same owners have told me for that synthesis method (Granular), Alchemy was the better way to go.

And then there's the 'psycho-acoustic' question. As much as I've been able to gather, Omni samples are psycho-acoustically sampled but processed in its regular engines. Where as Tone 2 synths are psycho-acoustically processed as part of the engines. And then of course, the controversial aspect of sample import comes up too. This alone is what makes Omni a rompler-synth as opposed to a sampler-synth. Unless Eric introduces an update with more samples, what you get is all you get. (Or unless you buy Trillian to add to it).
All good points that I didn't think of. The sample import resonating most with me. I know little about Omni's psychoacoustic aspect though.

brekehan wrote:I'm looking to buy new toys and try to get some different instruments in my arsenal. One synth I have heard peers mention is Omnisphere. Everyone seems to own it. However, at a $500 price tag on the Spectronics site, it seems ludricrously expensive compared to synth purchases in the past. What warrants such a price?

Am I going to make sounds with this that I can't make in Sylenth, Massive, FM8, or Absynth? Why?
Omnisphere IMHO is not a perfect synth. It has several
weaknesses. Having said that I think it is the best single synth ever created, soft or hardware based - again IMHO. The asking price is a bargain. I recommend that you also buy Trilian and some third
part libraries from plugin guru, plughugger, the unfinished,
audiority etc not only to expand the library but also to see how it can
be programmed at a high level. You will have with it a lifetime of sonic gold in your hands.

As to the specifics, envelopes are highly modulatable, and flexible.
Soundsources are amazing, patches truly inspiring, modulation
extraordinary, effects top notch, preset system is best of breed,
layering and live control awesome, ease of use exemplary.

And not only you get sounds you cannot obtin with the other synths,
but all omni sounds are of highest quality and cover extreme range. You can go from classic analogue, to ethereal, to dirty and its always professional level sound.

There is no way you can go wrong with ths synth.

It is not worth $500 to me... It is high priced due to its samples, but you cannot import any... No thanks...

Return to “Instruments”