Dumb questions about Waves installation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've only semi-recently gotten into Waves stuff, and have two basic questions about their installer.

1. It says to only select products you want to install and for which you have a license. If I deselect a plug that's already installed, does it get removed? Or just not updated to the version in the installer I'm running?

2. One of my plugins is v9, but its WUP has expired. If I leave it checked during installation, will it stop working because the installer contains 9.123 and my WUP only got me up to 9.120, the current 9.x release as of when its WUP expired? (Those are example version numbers only.) Or does only the major version (9 in this case) matter?

Thanks.

dwozzle wrote:I've only semi-recently gotten into Waves stuff, and have two basic questions about their installer.

1. It says to only select products you want to install and for which you have a license. If I deselect a plug that's already installed, does it get removed? Or just not updated to the version in the installer I'm running?
Pretty sure it just doesnt get updated.
2. One of my plugins is v9, but its WUP has expired. If I leave it checked during installation, will it stop working because the installer contains 9.123 and my WUP only got me up to 9.120, the current 9.x release as of when its WUP expired? (Those are example version numbers only.) Or does only the major version (9 in this case) matter?
It wont stop working.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

dwozzle wrote: 1. It says to only select products you want to install and for which you have a license. If I deselect a plug that's already installed, does it get removed? Or just not updated to the version in the installer I'm running?
It gets removed.

soulone82 wrote:
dwozzle wrote: 1. It says to only select products you want to install and for which you have a license. If I deselect a plug that's already installed, does it get removed? Or just not updated to the version in the installer I'm running?
It gets removed.
If that's so, then the real answer to the other questions is super critical. If you can't skip anything when you install something new, and can't install a later 9.x version than your oldest WUP date, then getting another Waves plug would mean you have to keep up WUP on everything.

Really hope that's not the case.

Just leave everything installed selected - they will get updated to the latest version. If you do not have active WUP it won't be a problem until a next big version eg v10. After installation just remove the plugins released after your WUP expiration from the Waves folder. For example, if your Gold WUP expired before Vitamin was added to the bundle, then just delete Vitamin folder from Waves folder so you won't get annoying license error messages.

If you want to add plugins then just select them in addition and install.
No signature here!

dwozzle wrote:I've only semi-recently gotten into Waves stuff, and have two basic questions about their installer.

Thanks.
1. There are no dumb questions when it comes to Waves.
2. Yes. It will get removed but you can reinstall it again whenever you want.
3. 'WUP' means 'Waves Update Plan'. I'll copy and paste to save myself some brain torture:
With Waves Update Plan:

You Have Complete Compatibility
You get the latest Waves versions, which means total compatibility with all major
audio hosts and operating systems. See Tech Specs

You Get New Plugins

With Waves Update Plan, you receive new plugins as they're added to your bundle.
See a Full List of Added Plugins

You Get VIP Technical Support

You'll receive the technical guidance you need from experts who know Waves tools inside and out. (Oh no they don't)

It's Affordable
All non-overlapping Waves products (e.g. Platinum & SSL or Gold & Restoration, etc.) are now capped at $200 per account. No matter how many non-overlapping products you own or how long their coverage has been inactive - you'll never pay more than $200 per account to re-activate your coverage for one full year, starting today. To be eligible for the new cap, you will need to confirm that you use all selected products on one computer at a time.

Waves Update Plan coverage for overlapping products (e.g. Gold & Platinum or Diamond & Mercury, etc.) or identical products (e.g. two Gold bundles) is still capped at $200 per product, as usual (to re-activate your coverage for one full year, starting today.) And for most Waves bundles, yearly coverage is less. MUCH less! See Some Examples

You Receive a 45-day Voucher*
For every dollar you spend on Waves Update Plan coverage, you'll get credit toward the purchase of any product or upgrade.

Upgrades
Waves offers a vast array of upgrade paths. All upgrades include one full year of
Waves Update Plan coverage. Contact your Waves dealer for details.

Best regards,
The Waves Team
NB: If you want to sell a Waves Plugin, the WUP must be up to date.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

It did uninstall the thing I had not checked. The WOLI_V9 here opened with nothing checked. This whole process is too opaque IMO. Now I suppose I have to see if I have a licence for the thing that was working before.

From the horse's mouth, Waves support, who got back to me pretty quickly, props for that:

2. One of my plugins is v9, but its WUP has expired. If I leave it checked during installation, will it stop working because my WUP only got me up to the current 9.xyz release as of when its WUP expired? Or does only the major version (9 in this case) matter?

3. Where should I have looked to find this info myself?
1. Checked - will update if needed. Unchecked - will be removed.

2. No - Only the major version (9 in this case) apply (or bundles that have new plugins added to them)

3. The installer runs in add/remove mode which implies the answer for question 1. I don't think we have a page with specifically these statements. Info about WUP can be found here: http://www.waves.com/support/waves-update-plan

From what I know and have experienced, you are still entitled to all the updates beyond 9.120 for all of the 9.x products you bought, even though your WUP has expired. The fact that you bought during a 9.x period entitles you to all present and future updates within version 9, regardless of whether you are still in WUP or not.

Most of mine have expired as far as a year ago, and I still update them when a new updater is released (so long as it is still in 9.x).

Further example of the WUP: if you just bought a plugin today and it was 9.123, and let's say Waves released 10.0 in January, you will be entitled to the 10.0 series too because it was released within your WUP period. However if 10.0 came next November just after your WUP expired, you would not be entitled to 10. So it's really a timing thing as to what version or versions are free.
Last edited by macmuse on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're clearly right, Waves support said the same thing, though maybe not as clearly.

Which leads to one more important question, which I asked Waves in response to their email to me, and haven't heard back yet:
4. When Waves 10 comes out, I either have to update WUP on everything I own, or not buy or update anything to v 10, even things where WUP is still in effect. That appears to be true because leaving a plugin checked in the v10 installer will update it to v10, which would require active WUP, and leaving it unchecked will remove it. Is that right?
Assuming that actually is the case, which I don't know for certain yet, I'm actually starting to resent this whole WUP thing a lot. I was aware of it before buying into Waves, but as the implications sink in I'm a bit bummed, maybe enough to sell my Waves stuff, or at least freeze it forever at its current rev once 10 comes out. I'm not thrilled with the subscription model in general, but to force customers to subscribe everything in order to use anything new bums me out. I'm not a pro any more, this is a hobby, and I can't justify being strapped into hundreds of dollars worth of license payments for things I already own. I like my Waves stuff, but there are lots of great plugins out there.

Looking for info on a custom upgrade to Gold, since it's on such amazing sale right now, and if it's significantly less than that already-low price because I already own several pieces in it, it'd be hard to resist. But then that might be it for me, we'll see.

As far as the WUP and not being able to update to version 10, it seems to me 9 will be fine for a long while. It seems that when they do updates, it's not usually to add features etc. to the individual plugins—it's only for OS/DAW fixes and updates to the shell. Obviously Waves would like a person to keep the WUP current all the time, but to me, it's not that necessary unless you are making an extreme jump in your OS where the older ones simply don't run anymore. Otherwise, run 'em until they break.

Version 10 will more importantly affect new product releases, because they won't be available in 9.

I can understand the dislike people feel toward the WUP, but if I really think about it, if people had the same amount of plugins that other companies charged for updates, it would probably cost a lot more than the WUP. For just 1 Waves plugin, when I checked, it was only $15 bucks or so, depending on what it was.
Last edited by macmuse on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Right, agreed, it mostly means not being able to buy anything that's new in 10.

And also the general thing of it, you know?

Not true at all. You can easily run several versions of Waves plugins side by side. So there would be no problem running V9 and plugins without WUP and newer V10 plugins.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:Not true at all. You can easily run several versions of Waves plugins side by side. So there would be no problem running V9 and plugins without WUP and newer V10 plugins.
So when you install new v10 plugs, you'd have uncheck any that don't have active WUP, right? Wouldn't that uninstall them? Isn't that how it works?

Just for the record, this is all pretty convoluted. Waves really needs to do a better job of explaining it. I'm not actually stupid...

dwozzle wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Not true at all. You can easily run several versions of Waves plugins side by side. So there would be no problem running V9 and plugins without WUP and newer V10 plugins.
So when you install new v10 plugs, you'd have uncheck any that don't have active WUP, right? Wouldn't that uninstall them? Isn't that how it works?

Just for the record, this is all pretty convoluted. Waves really needs to do a better job of explaining it. I'm not actually stupid...
Agreed.

This is the whole reason I've avoided Waves up until now. Demoed them once and immediately went dizzy trying to understand it all and get the installer working.

Now though I'm back in due to BF, but dreading the inevitable calamity so am yet to install. Think I'll try first on my work PC then if that works, the DAW.

Reminds me how happy I get with freeware where the installation process is two steps: unzip file and copy .dll
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Effects”