Hot Hand USB

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hot Hand USB

Anyone tried this?

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/hot ... nd_usb.php

I have been testing one this weekend and playing around with it (disclaimer - this was sent to me for testing purposes but I'm under no obligation to express any opinions other than my own). Anyway, seems a useful alternative to something like a Wiimote which is something I was considering trying with Osculator but I think this is a better alternative for me as it doesn't take me away from the keyboard. It has the same sort of XYZ accelerometer based functionality as a Wiimote but you can wear it on your finger (actually I'm finding it works best on my thumb) while playing a keyboard and just add gestures as you play rather than having to pick up another object and take your hand off the keys. You can use it to send midi cc, aftertouch and pitch bends but I think it would be very cool if it also worked with OSC - maybe they can add that?

Setup was very easy - it doesn't even need a separate driver installing but just appears as a midi device in your host, but does come with a software editor for customisation of things like pickup sensitivity (I did have to tweak that a bit) and midi mappings as well as handling firmware updates.

I should get mine tomorrow. Bloody royal mail charged me £8 for the privilege of charging me £4 customs duty.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:I should get mine tomorrow. Bloody royal mail charged me £8 for the privilege of charging me £4 customs duty.
Yeah me too :)

I can totally picture a group like daft punk using a bunch of these live.

There's a cool video on Youtube of a band covering Skrillex, using a hot hand usb. I'd look it up, but not sure where it'd be found. I'm so lazy with control change, I never plug anything in, I resort to cc sequencers, compressors, etc.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

we post some videos on our Facebook page if you want to check them out:
https://www.facebook.com/thehothand

I work for Source Audio and wanted to share these with you. It's great to see the different ways people are using the hot Hand.
contact@sourceaudio.net
Last edited by ncabral on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

can't wait to see what else people come up with for the Hot Hand
Last edited by ncabral on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cool it would be interesting to see dancers using this with musicians and also as a creative therapeutic tool. I worked for many years with people with learning disabilities doing dance and music projects, including using a technology called Soundbeam. This seems to open up similar possibilities but a lot more cheaply.

Got mine as expected today. Zero problems installing it on my laptop at work. Was quite interested in how sophisticated the setup in the editor could be, a lot more control than I'd been expecting. Also interesting to see it could be controlled via MIDI to a certain extent.

excellent, what everyone has been waiting for.
how much is it? what' with the 8+4quid?
oh yeah 20bucks plus US import thing..
great price though.

hi mztk,
the Hot Hand USB goes for $119 (US).
You can find it in the UK also for £75.16 or Europe for €95.

whyterabbyt wrote:I should get mine tomorrow. Bloody royal mail charged me £8 for the privilege of charging me £4 customs duty.
Same here.

mztk wrote:excellent, what everyone has been waiting for.
great price though.
Yeah, over here (UK) even if there's no customs duty, we get charged VAT on incoming goods. That was the £4. The other £8 was how much the postal service charge for charging the VAT. What a system, eh? :)

If it's a promotional item sent from the U.S. to UK there could be a tax applied but if you live in the UK and get it directly in the UK you won't have any customs tax.

whyterabbyt wrote:
mztk wrote:excellent, what everyone has been waiting for.
great price though.
Yeah, over here (UK) even if there's no customs duty, we get charged VAT on incoming goods. That was the £4. The other £8 was how much the postal service charge for charging the VAT. What a system, eh? :)
I don't think it's everything though. Isn't there a threshold over which it gets charged?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”