Why I moved on from DC8C 2...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DC8C

I havent.....and have no plans to do so.
However if you did, im curious to hear your story. I see this one up for sale as often as many other compressors.

Why did you move on?

Even I would like to know the same.. a while back it was considered as the go-to compressor by many but lately many copies were sold in MP.. I wanted to grab one but was little late... it will be good to know if something better has arrived.. I won't be surprised if it's Presswerk :-D
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I've "moved on" from DC8C2, in the sense that I just don't find myself using it that much anymore. My understanding of compressor science is too primitive for the advanced features of DC8C2, and the four "Simple" modes rarely seem to hit the spot for me I'm afraid. For compressor needs I just keep going back to PSP Old Timer. It's been the one compressor that has stood the test of time for me.

still have it in the toolbox but hardly use it now that I've gone to LIVE9 with it's integrated Glue compressor. Much lower cpu hit . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I still own it but don't use it much. Reason: I can generally get faster results with simpler comps. It sounds great, yes, but I can usually get good results a lot quicker elsewhere.

satYatunes wrote:Even I would like to know the same.. a while back it was considered as the go-to compressor by many but lately many copies were sold in MP.. I wanted to grab one but was little late... it will be good to know if something better has arrived.. I won't be surprised if it's Presswerk :-D
For me Presswerk didnt do much. I prefer DC8C 2. The saturation is nice but not very practical / special. I could get better compression out of other plugs and add saturation. The type of clean compression I could get from DC8C, I really couldn't coax out of Presswerk. So it couldnt replace it...and tbh didnt seem like a necessary compliment to it.

due to its versatility and unusual features, i always use either when i need precise control over the compression, when i need its unusual features or when "everything else fails" and i just don't know what i'm looking for. it is true that, say, an opto-ish sound is more easily achievable by dedicated opto plugins, so i use dedicated plugins when i know what i'm looking for. but i can't say i "moved on" from DC8C 2 - it never was my goto compressor in the first place. that's not why i have it.

as for presswerk, i GASed over it for a while (especially with the double discount), but in the end i didn't even try it. figured that as much as i love Urs's handywork, i just don't need another compressor. maybe i'll regret this decision later but i'm prepared to pay the price for that.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

it can take time to fine tune that's the main reason i guess , it was the same with Sdrr for me , both are very powerfull but it need time to invest to be able to reach the sound after in few tweaks.
Lot of flexibilty is great to have if you have the patience and time to learn otherwise it's counter productive.

Now that i feel confortable using i would not even think about selling ,specially after comparing it with some other compressors. With sdrr these processors definetly worth the effort to learn these inside out, there is no question about this, it's great plugins.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

I find DC8C great when I am pretty sure about the specifics of what I want to dial in. For that purpose it is really good.

Where I find DC8C lacking is that it's not the best compressor for when I want to work very quickly. That applies at times in both writing and mixing.

It's not the most super intuitive tool and sometimes if I'm in the creative flow I want something that I can just throw on quickly that usefully supports a groove and allows me to make a decision and move on.

I haven't bought Presswerk yet but it works better for me on that front than DC8C, so although I don't specially need another comp I might buy it. Probably fair to say Presswerk hasn't bowled me over to quite the extent that previous uhe products have. Can't put my finger on why.

I also recently bought Boz's +10db bundle, which is a different kettle of fish as it's not in the Swiss army knife vein, but it is best in class quality wise IMO and for a number of things it's the first comp I turn to at the moment. Time will tell just how much I like it but I suspect the combo of awesome compression and awesome EQ will be hard to beat for many things.

I still own it, but don't use it anymore, as I do as much as possible in console 1

i am moving towards dc8c, having bought it yesterday

been making music for quite a while, but never really bothered learning how to mix the shit :oops:

along with a commitment to learning my d.a.w properly, from the ground up, i have committed to learning more about the mix process and the necessary mix tools

to that end, i wanted to buy a compressor that would allow me to start simple, but that would grow with me. i know that logic's stock compressor is no slouch, but the crazy small investment in klanghelm for an extra level of quality (and function) seemed like a no-brainer

off to download now :D

I have it in some older projects but never reach for it anymore. Pro-C and Slate VBC pretty much get it done for me, along with a couple of others every now and then. Never liked SDRR, but that's what happens when you can't demo.

I use it all the time. It's especially useful for keeping certain frequencies in check by manipulating it's flexible sidechain filter. It can be supremely transparent which I like.

Most of all I just seem to like it's behavior a lot better than many other compressors so I always seem to gravitate towards this one.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

strange topic title ...

the klanghelm comp is absolutely great, the 'problem' is, you have to put in some time and learn it!

switch on the oversampling, turn off the saturation, try the s-curves, mess with the tilt on the sidechain, feedforward/feedback variable, etc - and to me it's one of the few plug-ins that get the attack sounding good, no black hole. :tu:

bmanic wrote:I use it all the time. It's especially useful for keeping certain frequencies in check by manipulating it's flexible sidechain filters.
Interesting. Care to elaborate?

Return to “Effects”