i Pad Air with Receptor 2+

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Fellas,
Would this work:
Buy and connect an Alesis io Mix or Dock to your Receptor via Midi out from Receptor into Midi in on Alesis.
Connect M-audio controller via USB into front of Receptor.
At this point you could use any DAW app to record onto your i Pad OR
connect the Alesis to a PA.
I ask again--would this work?

You're doing a MIDI (5-pin) connection between the Receptor and the Alesis and asking whether it will carry audio?

That doesn't work.

Just go from the Receptor's audio outs to the IODock's in to record it. You could connect the Alesis to a PA but why?

-John

Hi John,
Thanks forthe quick response.

My intention was to record onto the Alesis io dock using he Cubasis sequencing app for ipad.
Then, if necessary, run whatever was recorded through a PA.
Please forgive a stupid question. If the Receptor is a sound modkule, why couldn't I get audio from the Receptor to the Alesis via a 5 pin Midi cable?
Thanks Frank

Because audio isn't sent over a MIDI connection.

MIDI defines instructions for a device to do something (play a note, raise the volume on channel 3, do a pitch bend, etc.). That's it.

If you want to record the audio from your Receptor, it will need to go into the I/O's audio input, to be recorded as audio via the app on the iPad.

Now, you could also record MIDI (notes, pitchbend, mod wheel, whatever) from your controller into the iPAD's DAW/sequencing app, then route those MIDI instructions to your Receptor. Then your Receptor would play back the notes (MIDI instructions) you recorded.

Now, whether that's possible with Cubasis. I don't know off-hand. But if Cubasis allows for MIDI recording and playback to external hardware (i.e. your Receptor), then you've got that as an option.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”