Top 3 Supersaw synths up to 2015 + discussion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(For future viewers, this thread is being started at the start of 2015, so keep that in mind when viewing down the road)

Purpose for starting this thread is 2 fold. What synth do you guys find makes the best sounding supersaws and make them the easiest to generate ( aka not layering a ton of synths on your own / tedious editing )? Or maybe there is a synth you've come across that's hard to achieve a supersaw on, but it's supersaw sounds better than others. I'm of the camp where a lot of soft synths sound the same to me, but maybe that's not the case with supersaws in sofsynths? And as you can tell, I don't use supersaws much, which is why I'm posing these questions.

Besides specific synths, I'm interested about chatting about why a supersaw sounds good and why would you ever need 100s of stacked oscillators to achieve a super saw. More specifically, does a super saw made up of 500 stacked oscillators sound not as good as one made up of 100 stacked oscillators? I've been thinking about why developers have allowed for tones of stacked oscillators, which is why I ask this question. Is there an audible difference between 100 and 500 stacked osc (or whatever numbers you want to throw out there)?
Last edited by stikygum on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was tempted to make a joke synth in reaktor that just created noise and call it Teh Ubersaw synth. :ud: :hihi:
:borg:

One Supersaw Only

Kriminal wrote:One Supersaw Only
:o :hihi:
Eternitysound VST Banks

Here are my top 3. Hardware really cuts through the mix.

So is this for only synths released in 2015?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

So, supersaw never dies? :borg: :hihi:

Omnisphere :)

Open a new instance click edit and enable multi.
Then set the detune to 0.479 and the depth slider all the way to the right and the spread slider to 0.548.

For me only acceptable "supersaw" synth is Roland supersaw. It has very specific unison properties that not a single synth I know of is able to reproduce directly :P I was successful with some workarounds, though, with Sylenth1 and Dune2.

The latter is still somewhat unsuitable for low cutoff settings. But with unison features it already has it can easily create limitless number of various supersaws, hypersaws... as long as you want them big and open.

The reality is, you can always stack a pile of voices and call it "supersaw". What really matter is how quickly and easily can adjust them to your liking.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

This is a bit more intricate, but it's really worth it imo:

1. record your farts, preferably without bowl resonance. Go for the dry ones, the wet ones won't cut it.

2. Stretch those samples just a wee bit, loop them judiciously.

3. Run them through Übermod, or QuikQuaks Crowd Chamber.

Voila! Supersaw deluxe. :P

Whats the obsession with supersaws, can someone explain ?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

I've never used a hardware Roland supersaw, but I gather the supersaw in D16 LuSH-101 is made according to JP8000 and it sounds marvelous. Best itb supersaw in my opinion.

Have you tried LuSH Warmonger?

I was able to get quite close to it with DUNE2, but it requires some tweaking and for example the lowcut with keytrack filter effect (this was tipped in another thread).

Spire supersaw sounds good in it's own.

I guess, Diva should make the most authentic supersaw, it is modelled after JP80x0.

Since I've got Dune2, when I need super/hypersaws, I ususally load it and mess around "huge lead" factory patch. Spire does nice effortless hypersaws, but a bit too bright/thin for my taste. Hive's supersaw is a reminds me of Spire but fatter/darker, pretty convincing sound. Also you may choose three different engines to colour the sound to you liking.

Sylenth is still very good at supersaws, holds up well aganst the newest synths, but it's sound is very overused/recognizable.

I've started a similar thread about a year ago. It ended up with general consensus that the use of supersaws in music should be banned. :D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Sylenth1 does fine.

Hive, Serum, Omni, Zebra, Spire.

In no particular order.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Instruments”