Waldorf Music at NAMM 2015: Nave for PC/Mac, Waldorf Edition 2, Attack for iOS, nw1 Eurorack module

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

sinkmusic wrote: Can we import user samples in Attack, or just load one from the factory bank ?
As mentioned in a comment in a post above theoretically using custom samples should be possible but i have not tested this yet.
From what i heard so far it could be possible with the free Spectre tool from Waldorf that is used for Samples in the Blofeld.

With v2 the Attack Samples at Windows are stored at C:\ProgramData\Waldorf\Attack and thre is a XML file for the samples, comparable to how it works in Spectre.

The most simple way at the moment to use custom samples should be to replace the existing WAV files and keep the same file name.

The factory samples contain both single samples and multisamples. To use multisamples they have to be properly listed in the XML file. THe XML file could be opened and edited with a text editor.

At the moment there are no official instructiomns to tweak the samples so all changes there are currently at your own risk (while it should not be a huge problem if you do a backup of the samples and the XML file).

UPDATE:
If i import the XML file of Attack v2 into the free Spectre tool it looks like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... tre_01.png

Spectre is available here (freeware):
http://www.waldorf-music.info/downloads ... wnloads-en

If you check that list in Spectre and the list in Attack v2 (screenshot at the previous page) you see that the 3 fisrt samples in Attack are not found at Spectre. Those 3 are the Samples that were also included with the old Attack v1. Those 3 will also appear in Attack if you delete the samples folder so those seem to be included directly with the plugin.

This is how the Attack v2 samples folder at C:\ProgramData\Waldorf\Attack looks like:
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

The workaround is to copy a text file to C:\ (at Windows) or Root (at OSX). This is a downlad for a ZIP with that text file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... _Small.zip

This forces the GUI size to the smaller size.
Thank you. This solved the problem for me.

I wasnt able to play the upper 12 instruments chromatically with attack 2, this is a possible bug? All midi notes above the first 24 sounds played instrument number 13 regradless of the selected midi channel.

Discovered this using cubase 8.0.10 64bit on win 7 and vst3 version of the plugin.

cpu28 wrote:I wasnt able to play the upper 12 instruments chromatically with attack 2, this is a possible bug? All midi notes above the first 24 sounds played instrument number 13 regradless of the selected midi channel.

Discovered this using cubase 8.0.10 64bit on win 7 and vst3 version of the plugin.
Confirmed here in Cubase 8 with the VST3 but seems to work properly with the VST2.

UPDATE:
VST3 Bug fixed now with an Update i just received. Customers should receive an updated Installer with a few fixes ASAP. Not sure when exactly but should not take too long.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:For those who do not see the differences in Attack v1 and Attack v2 here are two screenshots:
That is a good comparison - especially with the size side by side. Thanks for that.

Still waiting for Waldorf to answer my support request on possible upgrade paths.
But it's the weekend, and they just released the v2 bundle, so it's okay.

Any comments on D-Pole v2?
Do people still see a need or usability in it these days? I'm curious.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

whyterabbyt wrote:With Attack, Im finding that, although the supplied factory patches are pretty much the same as the original version, the delay behaviour is different, and thus they sound different. That seems kinda sloppy to me.
(Im comparing Attack1 x86 with Attack2 x64, but that shouldnt be the issue; if it is that's a worse problem still)

Basically its appearing like sounds with delay on them in the original WE version do not have delay enabled in the WE2 version.

For example, load the '23rd Century kit loaded (and btw, why the hell hasnt Attack's preset loading improved after all this time, its not just primitive its bloody primeval)

Sound 4 (Canobit) in Attack1 has a distinct delay on it that's missing in the Attack2 version. And switching the delay on is pointless, because the settings are wrong.
Hi,

finally found time to check this. Loaded both Attack v1 and V2 in Cubase Pro 8 (Attack v1 plugin renamed).

You are correct with that 23rd Century factory Kit. The Instrument #4 you mentioned indeed has the Delay deactivated in Attack 2. Same for other instruments.

For that Kit i will try to correct the parameters for Attack v2 manually now and later try to re-check the other Kits too.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Just got a newsletter from JRR Shop. They also seem to have the Waldorf Edition 2 now:
https://www.jrrshop.com/waldorf-the-waldorf-edition-2

At Checkout there seems to be a discount for a final price of 58.65 $ (instead of 69 $).
Ingo Weidner

One thing i noticed is that while in Attack v1 you were only able to use 2 different settings for the Delay (one for Output 1 and another for the other Outputs) with one instance in Version 2 you could use 6 different settings (or different effects), one for each Audio Output.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Is there any recent audio demo of Attack, except the ones from the Waldorf website ?

sinkmusic wrote:Is there any recent audio demo of Attack, except the ones from the Waldorf website ?
I plan to do some short demos using the samples and new effects soon but am too busy with other stuff at the moment.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:With Attack, Im finding that, although the supplied factory patches are pretty much the same as the original version, the delay behaviour is different, and thus they sound different. That seems kinda sloppy to me.
(Im comparing Attack1 x86 with Attack2 x64, but that shouldnt be the issue; if it is that's a worse problem still)

Basically its appearing like sounds with delay on them in the original WE version do not have delay enabled in the WE2 version.

For example, load the '23rd Century kit loaded (and btw, why the hell hasnt Attack's preset loading improved after all this time, its not just primitive its bloody primeval)

Sound 4 (Canobit) in Attack1 has a distinct delay on it that's missing in the Attack2 version. And switching the delay on is pointless, because the settings are wrong.
Hi,

finally found time to check this. Loaded both Attack v1 and V2 in Cubase Pro 8 (Attack v1 plugin renamed).

You are correct with that 23rd Century factory Kit. The Instrument #4 you mentioned indeed has the Delay deactivated in Attack 2. Same for other instruments.

For that Kit i will try to correct the parameters for Attack v2 manually now and later try to re-check the other Kits too.
Just received an updated Attack 2 Plugin that seems to load old fxp Kit files properly in Version 2, including correct Delay settings. I am currently checking the old and new plugin side by side (using the same fxp files) and so far it seems to work nicely.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
cpu28 wrote:I wasnt able to play the upper 12 instruments chromatically with attack 2, this is a possible bug? All midi notes above the first 24 sounds played instrument number 13 regradless of the selected midi channel.

Confirmed here in Cubase 8 with the VST3 but seems to work properly with the VST2.

UPDATE:
VST3 Bug fixed now with an Update i just received. Customers should receive an updated Installer with a few fixes ASAP. Not sure when exactly but should not take too long.
Thanks, that was fast :D
Ingonator wrote:
sinkmusic wrote: Can we import user samples in Attack, or just load one from the factory bank ?
As mentioned in a comment in a post above theoretically using custom samples should be possible but i have not tested this yet.
From what i heard so far it could be possible with the free Spectre tool from Waldorf that is used for Samples in the Blofeld.

With v2 the Attack Samples at Windows are stored at C:\ProgramData\Waldorf\Attack and thre is a XML file for the samples, comparable to how it works in Spectre.

The most simple way at the moment to use custom samples should be to replace the existing WAV files and keep the same file name.

The factory samples contain both single samples and multisamples. To use multisamples they have to be properly listed in the XML file. THe XML file could be opened and edited with a text editor.

At the moment there are no official instructiomns to tweak the samples so all changes there are currently at your own risk (while it should not be a huge problem if you do a backup of the samples and the XML file).

UPDATE:
If i import the XML file of Attack v2 into the free Spectre tool it looks like this:
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... .png</span>
[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... .png</span>[/img]

Spectre is available here (freeware):
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.waldorf-music.info/downloads ... s-en</span>

If you check that list in Spectre and the list in Attack v2 (screenshot at the previous page) you see that the 3 fisrt samples in Attack are not found at Spectre. Those 3 are the Samples that were also included with the old Attack v1. Those 3 will also appear in Attack if you delete the samples folder so those seem to be included directly with the plugin.

This is how the Attack v2 samples folder at C:\ProgramData\Waldorf\Attack looks like:
[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... .png</span>[/img]
I tested this yesterday, and while it worked, it also caused quite a bit of problems, meaning serious crashes with C8 and windows, and it occationally broke the preset/recall compatibility with the project settings of the unhacked version of the plugin. Everything went back to normal after I restored the samples and xml to the original version. So, it's doable, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

I seriously hope that Waldorf finds the time to add a user sample option. because it really useful and I'm sure many users would welcome such and addition, I know I would.

Ingonator wrote:Just received an updated Attack 2 Plugin that seems to load old fxp Kit files properly in Version 2, including correct Delay settings. I am currently checking the old and new plugin side by side (using the same fxp files) and so far it seems to work nicely.
cheers for that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

have any of these fixes/ updates been made available yet? i havent been emailed a link, and am keen to get attack working reliably.

Some bug fixes are already finished but i guess Waldorf does not want to send a daily update and collect some fixes in one update instead.

Based on the corrected import for old attack fxp files i currently prepare all Waldor fEdition Presets in different formats for VST2, VST3 and AAX again, with corrected Attack v2 presets. Will post them here ASAP, maybe this evening.

Besides that Waldorf is also trying to improve their testing procedure now to avoid releasing a new product with multiple bugs like this time. Based on how fast some reported bugs were fixed now i am quite confident we could get closer to a stable product soon.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”