Looking for Access Virus emulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As an old virus owner, while I really like the tactile interface and layout of the virus, it’s actually fun to use, I honestly don’t believe so much of the subjective reviews about it not sounding as good as many VSTs. Sure some VSTs suck ass, but the Virus can also suck ass if someone makes a shitty sound.

For the sound different vs price difference, ease of recall, I think you can make just as beautiful sounds with software as with Virus software in a hardware package. I personally think the computer wins with its virtually limitless VST instances. Want a thicker sound? Layer in another plug-in. Stack 8 instances and make some hugely complex thing drenched in 5 different reverbs and delays. If you’re concerned about it not being “analog” because it’s in the box, well, run a physical audio cable out of your computer and back in. Wha lah you have analog.

Synthmaster, Dune, Viper, Tone2 Gladiator, Hive, Spire, you name it. They are all serious competition to the Virus and if you take the time to program them, same with the virus, I think you will be completely satisfied with the sounds you get. Hell, if your audio interface can handle it, run those synths at 192khz and enjoy.

Personally, I think the one thing the Virus has that VSTs don’t is the hardware interface and the lack of temptation to open up Google and start wasting your time going down rabbit holes vs learning your synth in front of you. The Virus is a hands on focused experience and VSTs are maybe a few assigned knobs and a million mouse clicks. The latter not being nearly as fun, IMO

YMMV

vata44 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:36 pm Synthmaster, Dune, Viper, Tone2 Gladiator, Hive, Spire, you name it.
Sylenth1 also. :wink:

HAL76 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:36 pm I feel that nothing compares - and has ever compared. The Virus is based on physical modelling. I guess that makes the difference.
Physical modelling is just a word, it means nothing really. The Virus is programmed just like any other VA synth. The only difference is that it runs assembly code in a motorola chip instead of VSTs running assembly code in AMD/Intel Chips.
HAL76 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:36 pm Same with high pitches. You can really use the C6 upwards, while you´ll get severe aliasing FX with VSTs. Even with "modelelled after analog" VST synths.
Thats not true. The Virus is a digital synth and aliases as hell. Have you ever checked it on a spectrum analyzer? Even its distortion has crazy aliasing.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

i replaced the C with twin and zebra .
many of the popular sounds from that time of nords and virus , many newer soft synth make them often worst than some older plugins..
i tried dune , it didn t remind me the C , same for spire , zebra is the closest i think or some reaktor stuff maybe, newer soft synth tend to not be dirty enought and sound to "processed" also what matter are stuff like env curve, filter behavior, unisson spread/ phase , osc ,fm ect all these thing which have nothing to do with the year the synth was made , in fact you have even more chance older plugs behave closer

the C had good depth/ phatness (like some of the ni and u he plugins) and was more dirty than the Ti i feel .. but not sure.. it s not the same dsp so they might have to recode everyhting? that would maybe explain some difference
Last edited by kobal on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

adamtrance wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:19 am
HAL76 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:36 pm I feel that nothing compares - and has ever compared. The Virus is based on physical modelling. I guess that makes the difference.
Physical modelling is just a word, it means nothing really. The Virus is programmed just like any other VA synth. The only difference is that it runs assembly code in a motorola chip instead of VSTs running assembly code in AMD/Intel Chips.
HAL76 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:36 pm Same with high pitches. You can really use the C6 upwards, while you´ll get severe aliasing FX with VSTs. Even with "modelelled after analog" VST synths.
Thats not true. The Virus is a digital synth and aliases as hell. Have you ever checked it on a spectrum analyzer? Even its distortion has crazy aliasing.
You have the ability to make simple truths of comlex topics. That is the only statement I don't doubt about. The rest is history that can be heard as well as read.

And sry, but I didn't speak of aliasing that you have to measure. I meant that strange noise VSTs generate when the CPU reaches its limits and the coders "workaround".

HAL76 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:21 pm And sry, but I didn't speak of aliasing that you have to measure. I meant that strange noise VSTs generate when the CPU reaches its limits and the coders "workaround".
I dont really know what noise you mean VSTs generate, maybe you can provide an example. The motorola chips in the Virus have limits as well, thats why they couldnt create totally alias free oscillators/distortions, they had to use workarounds too. Modern VSTs are much more capable than the Virus, and sound way better technically, I guess its up to the "artist" to make it sound better or worse
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

It’s not, to begin with. It’s a VA, and doesn’t resort to modeling resonators and strings.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

To my taste Synth1 gives me that hardware feeling some vst synths try to emulate and you can use as layer everywhere.
Recently explore Vital and Icarus unique features and sonic signature.
I like combination like Sylenth1+Synthmaster2+Synth1 = Analogish sound.
Also like Viper+V-station+T-Force Alpha= Classic Trance.
Air Hybrid3+Vacuum = Retro Dance/EDM
Combinations are more interesting than one synth.

many give that hardware feeling, for Va some plugins that alias it seems sound closer.
imo it often enhance the sound when not too much or in sweet spot and it tend to sound more natural to me ,maybe the phase get less screwed or stuff like that by not using very steep filter or technics to remove aliasing no idea if it s related but if you alreayd compare oversampling and rate reducer it can affect a lot the sound , the transients , the top end so the way it s implemented probably matter a lot on synth. not much aliasing dosen t mean it sound good or better than a synth with more.

was listetning to this when writing that , and before i was listening big tone z3ta soundset , it alias it s hearable but something in the sound is less screwed to me, it sound more "real " , i played with synth1 some days ago made a few patch and something remind me the nl4 in the caractere it can sound in same family i forgot how good it can be.. it was acutaly better than some of my recent plugs for the patchs i made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4aFhXWq244

The synth is as good as designers can squeeze it :)
Some day will make my dream bank for s1:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vccfs4gwwAs

imo at what it does good it will beat the virus.. virus dosen t have good top details usually , often it dosen t give a nice detailed attack "impact " and precise quality sound for me , i like a fine balance, some waldorf tend to be too much bright, but nords strike good balance to me except the 3, i don t know it but i checked measurment and it start to cut at 10K not the older not the 4 , so the 3 probably sound bad for many sounds were the 2 was great
Last edited by kobal on Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Just for the fun of it

Two tracks, oldschool psytrance style. One was made with Viper and other plugin synths, 100% ITB, another one was made almost entirely with Virus TI, only the drums , the bassline and some occasional background pads are not it.

Can you guess which is which?

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/safe-travels

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/a ... ebula-2021
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

nice one man i like the first track but sonically/ synth timbre it s less intresting than second one, i mean the synth on the second has a more distinctive sound maybe it s how you processed?

first sound 2d and like "everyone and their dog" second one i have more chance to reconize you when i hear a track ,could be the processing but definelty i pick 2 as favorite but the mix would need a bit of work
Last edited by kobal on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kobal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:23 pm nice one man i like the first track but sonically/ synth timbre it s less intresting than second one, i mean the synth on the second has a more distinctive sound maybe it s how you processed?

first sound 2d and like "everyone and their dog" second one i have more chance to reconize you when i hear a track ,could be the processing
And which one you think is the Virus?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:29 pm
kobal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:23 pm nice one man i like the first track but sonically/ synth timbre it s less intresting than second one, i mean the synth on the second has a more distinctive sound maybe it s how you processed?

first sound 2d and like "everyone and their dog" second one i have more chance to reconize you when i hear a track ,could be the processing
And which one you think is the Virus?
i m not sure , i sold my virus years ago after a artist i was sure was using it told me he use only plugins :)
but i would say it s the second with fliping a coin .. i like more the second anyway , not the mix but the overall synth sound so maybe it s that? i get easily first one sound with plugins also.. not second one i feel.. but could be the mix how it s balanced that change the perception of the synths.

with fx and in a mix it should not be possible to tell? but here both track sound different.
Last edited by kobal on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”