IK Multimedia Gear Credits Changes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks like IKM will be taking actions to further their "reputation".
First they sent out a email with a lot of general information:
Heads up! There are some changes on the way in March that may affect you if you currently hold Gear Credits. To better streamline the IK online store and Custom Shop experiences, we will be reshuffling our pricing across the board and also readjusting the value of Gear Credits in the process. As a result of this, certain products will require more Gear Credits starting in March. This message is a courtesy to you, to let you know that you still have some time to take advantage of the prices now and spend your credits before the changes go into effect.

Next comes one with a little more info:
Heads up! In March, we will be streamlining the AmpliTube and T-RackS Custom Shops. We're doing this to make a better experience for you by evening our pricing across the board. As a result, we will have to slightly alter the value of Gear Credits and change a few prices: Some products will require more Gear Credits and some will cost less. This message is a courtesy to you, to let you know that you still have some time to take advantage of the current prices before the changes go into effect.

So no matter whether you've had your eye on an AmpliTube branded gear collection or you're after a specific piece of T-RackS production equipment, now is a great time to get all the items on your Custom Shop wishlist.

Sending such unclear messages seems like such a bad idea. What is the real goal here?
1) If you don't like the changes, you can't complain because we told you so.
2) We will use fear to get you to spend now, so that you will buy more credits later when Amp 4 comes out (assuming you're not angry at us for manipulating you).
3) We assume our customers like to gamble: Buy now and maybe you'll get a better deal, or maybe you would've gotten a better deal by waiting.

If IKM decided to actually work on "changing" their reputation, they could tell us EXACTLY what the changes will be before the new system is put in place, so we could decide how to proceed with our credits: Buy or Wait.

There's certainly an opportunity to improve communication by adding more details about the changes. My guess is probably the same as yours: most items will cost more and they're trying to warn people in advance without just coming right out and saying so.

That said, if you have gear credits and want IK plugins, I'd personally be looking to buy now under the assumption that most prices will increase.

There were no sinister or malicious intentions meant, we wanted to provide notice to those who may be on the fence about a purchase or who might simply appreciate a heads up regardless.

when you say "prices may go up, or may go down" how does that help anyone make a decision? Unless we can assume a majority will go up in price, right?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

What is the real goal here? Simple. To raise the prices of the items they are selling and lower the prices of their unwanted junk that they have weekly sales on This is the second time withing a year IK has raised their prices. Remember when the Buss comp was 100 credits?
We're doing this to make a better experience for you by evening our pricing across the board
Explain to me how paying more money for anything makes a better experience. Insulting.

Remember the bogo when the 1073 came out? There must have been 100 people that paid for the 1073, hoping to get the 1081 for free, only to find out that it wasnt included, and that information was buried on the second page of the add. IK did this intentionally, relying on this tactic for additional sales.

This was the plan all along. Get our products into the hands of the people who talk, and raise the prices.
There ya have it...

I appreciate the heads-up, Peter. The problem is when you guys say some things will cost more, and some will cost less. So, if I buy some stuff that goes up in price, I will definitely be grateful for the heads-up. If I buy stuff that ends up going down in price, I will feel manipulated. If stuff that I'm thinking about maybe buying, but maybe I'd rather hold on for new stuff that I might like better, ends up going up in price, then I'm angry.

If things weren't going to change, I wouldn't buy anything right now, because I don't mind waiting. I love the way you can demo the gear for 3 days, and compare it to stuff you already have. I'd love to wait, and compare present wish list with future products, but I feel like the "unknown" about the changes forces the issue.

Why not inform us, your paying customers, what the exact changes are going to be while we have a chance to buy under the present system?

Love all the...
Prophets-of-Doom-World-Changing-Events.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@ftech - for doom, I recommend AmpliTube Orange :)

Especially this guy:

Ha! the 'Amp Head of DOOOOM!'

How about a list of what is changing? Do I gamble and buy something that I *think* will go up just to find after I bought it that it went down?

And...how about some new amps already? What has it been--10 months or more? This is coming from someone who loves IKM products and owns a lot. Now I have over 900 credits waiting for mainly Amplitube gear (and some T-Racks, though I have nearly all of them now). Then I get an email finding out that in a month my credits won't be worth as much for the new gear I'm waiting for.

I'm sad. I appreciate Peter and the other IKM guys posting here (I really do--thanks guys), but what the heck is corporate thinking?

"We're doing this to make a better experience for you by evening our pricing across the board."
I still wonder what the better experience might be by raising prices. I really hate this shady marketing bullshit. I know the world out there is full of chimpansees but most people aren't that stupid. Just be honest and say: sorry guys, we gotta earn more money; buy your desired products until x for old prices.
That would have been a fair and honest way. A "better experience" would have been a message like "we dumped all the quicktime and custom shop bloat but also have to raise prices".

Taking shots in the dark here...

A lot of their T-RackS stuff that is sub-$100 will go up, while their over-$100 will be going down. To me, this is what "evening the prices" sounds like, and it makes the most sense.

And while you can complain about it, remember that even with some price increases, their still making plug-ins that other companies (such as Waves) of comparable quality for way cheaper.

I guess Peter is done answering direct questions. If all the info was provided before the changes take place, IKM loses the ability to manipulate customers. The question is are they trying to manipulate me into using my gear credits, or is the email just damage control for making changes that they know people with gear credits will dislike. The part about some gear costing less is the most confusing part.

At least the guitar products have always been better than the marketing and spin consistently put out. And the roller coaster pricing of the past has given opportunities for some great deals.

I would love to hear more about what "evening our pricing across the board" even means.

Classic IK thread - so much whining and complaining before ANY specifics are known by ANYONE. Hahahaha... LOL

Exactly! Always made possible by the confusing general info that IK puts outs. If they gave a specific, detailed explanation from the start, there wouldn't be any room for speculation.

Return to “Effects”