The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I grabbed the opening line from the song, slowed it way down (20x), kept EQing and reverbing, both forwards and backwards, over and over, until this popped out:

https://soundcloud.com/rachmiel/the-lion-sleeps-tonight

Enjoy! :-)

the dominant(?) frequencies are a bit ear splitting for me.

Also: spelling correction in KVR quick reply text boxes doesn't work on iPhone iOS 6.x while playing soundcloud tracks. HTF does that happen??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

This riff shows up in many of my jams, only 4 notes used, not bad for a no 1 hit :D

c - d - e - d - e - f - e - d - c- d - e - d - c - e - d

Jace-BeOS wrote:the dominant(?) frequencies are a bit ear splitting for me.
I already reduced them quite a bit (using EQ), but perhaps not enough. Thanks for the listen and feedback. :-)

Numanoid wrote:This riff shows up in many of my jams, only 4 notes used, not bad for a no 1 hit :D

c - d - e - d - e - f - e - d - c- d - e - d - c - e - d
Maybe any melody will sound compelling sung an octave or two up? ;-)

Jace-BeOS wrote:the dominant(?) frequencies are a bit ear splitting for me.
Dominant frequencies + Lion Sleeps Tonight ?= The Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight

Well maybe not. But in ye olde 80s, we had fun. This record was an underground staple in NYC. Who knew there was a wacky video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX88XJaJ_bg

It's the era of the fabulous sci-fi heroin chic new wave movie, Liquid Sky.

I would never have guessed the source material for this had you not told us. In places it had an almost Ligeti-like texture. In others, I thought I could hear some heavy breathing! Maybe Frantz knew something I didn't.

Good work :)

@Frantz: Was that authentic soft-focus or misplaced Vaseline?

seismic1 wrote:@Frantz: Was that authentic soft-focus or misplaced Vaseline?
My guess is a bit of both but you should probably ask someone who was there. While Tangerine Dream were slogging it out in Poland, Peter Baumann ( :o ) was having fun recording this track in his Cronex studio in New York:

http://www.discogs.com/Dominatrix-The-D ... ase/475079

Producer – Ivan Ivan, Kenneth Lockie*, Peter Baumann
Recorded By [Basic Tracks Recorded With Peter Baumann's Cronex Media Studio] – Peter Baumann

The man who brought us Romance '76 :o

The Modular Moogs and Romance of '76 turned into the Samplers and Whips & Chains of '84. Herr Baumann was keeping up with the times. :hihi:

Frantz, if I might inquire ... are you a student of 70s/80s pop culture history ... or did you live it?

seismic1 wrote:I would never have guessed the source material for this had you not told us. In places it had an almost Ligeti-like texture. In others, I thought I could hear some heavy breathing! Maybe Frantz knew something I didn't.

Good work :)
Thanks seismic. :-) Ligeti ... yum. In order to NOT get the buzzy nasal hum I originally got when I expanded the duration 20x I had to EQ and reverb a bunch, backwards and forwards, many iterations. That's what caused the loud resonant tones to emerge. In some passes I would begin by normalizing all the way down to -12 dB, apply a normal (not extreme) reverb, and some of the waves (resonant frequencies) would peak to 0 dB.

a-weema-wap ...

rachmiel wrote:Frantz, if I might inquire ... are you a student of 70s/80s pop culture history ... or did you live it?
Image I lived it. I survived Nixon, pet rocks, pong, disco, new wave, hip hop, Reagan, Space Invaders, and Rubik's Cube. They outta give me a medal. There are quite a few of us grizzled veterans hanging around here.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Return to “Music Cafe”