Wow Me! (Synth Suggestions...Dune 2 Winner Prize Ready...Update 5/5)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

Deist wrote:> Rapture from Cakewalk: Sound of its own, powerful and lots of modulation power, just great... You already have DimPro, you should feel right at home with this one (DimPro being sample-oriented while Rapture is all about synthesis).
You can pick up Rapture for the cost of a back issue 200 of Computer Music. http://www.musicradar.com/computermusic ... 014-590566

Passing Bye wrote:
chk071 wrote: It really depends on the resolution....
Of course, I use 1680×1050 on 21.5 and 1280x1024 on 17, actually for my personal space first one is perfect :tu:
Then you dig the plus of the additional space on each side, which of course is why widescreen is so popular for most stuff. :) But in the case of wagtunes, he complains about the fonts, and elements of the GUI being too small, and a 21.5" widescreen monitor won't fix that, if his 17" display is 1280x1024, and the 21.5" widescreen monitor is 1920x1080, as the pixel density is exactly (or roughly) the same then. What he needs is an even bigger widescreen display, 24" plus. As the fonts and other stuff will display bigger then, when using 1920x1080. When using a bigger resolution, the problems will remain the same again.

Well, just checked out the price of IRIS 2. At $299, it's not an option but thanks. I'm guessing at that price it's probably excellent as it's the 2nd most expensive synth I've seen next to Omnisphere which I own.

I don't necessarily want to sound like a dick, but I'm going to.

If, after 21 pages of recommendations along with all your current synth-producing capabilities (which is probably 2 - 5 times more than most other people) and all the synths you've tried, you probably either can't be wowed at this point or need to reduce your restrictions on the synths you're open to.

ImNotDedYet wrote:I don't necessarily want to sound like a dick, but I'm going to.

If, after 21 pages of recommendations along with all your current synth-producing capabilities (which is probably 2 - 5 times more than most other people) and all the synths you've tried, you probably either can't be wowed at this point or need to reduce your restrictions on the synths you're open to.
Actually I've been wowed by a couple of synths, Spectral and Loom. Loom crashed my system to the point where I had to rebuild my preferences and my Hypercontrol for Axiom. Took me almost 5 hours to do that. Shame because Loom blew me away. Spectral is a notch under it but right now it looks like it's the front runner.

I'm really just waiting to be able to test Sunrizer (it's not Windows yet) and then I'll make my decision. Developer says it'll be about 2-3 weeks.

In the meantime, here is my list of potential purchases.

Spectral
Sunrizer * (upon testing)
Syn'X
Dune 2

Yes, I gave Dune 2 another chance and I can see how versatile it is being able to modulate per voice. That's something none of my other synths can do.

This is going to be a very difficult decision. Were Dune 2 a little cheaper (It's $20 more then Spectral) It would probably be a lot harder. But the cost is an issue.

Unfortunately, I only have so much money to spend.

I expect to make my final decision by the time I do my taxes on April 15.

Just ouf of interest: Do you get to use all the synths you have? For me, i decided that less is more some time ago. I have about 10 synths in my VST folder atm, and i frequently use about 4 of them.

wagtunes wrote:Spectral, right now, is at the top of the list and will probably be the one I get. Waiting to test Sunrizer first when it has a Windows version available (2 - 3 weeks)
A clever choice for sure! (And I didn't know myself about Sunrizer being soon available on Windows so thanks for the tip!)
wagtunes wrote:VAZ Modular I wanted to get but it's not longer for sale because of the new VAT laws.
sorry for a likely silly question, but I don't know what VAT laws are (and am currently too lazy to ask my friend Google, I'll admit! ;)). I certainly wasn't aware it wasn't available anymore and that is a shame as it was a fine modular synth (+ there aren't that many available to begin with on the market!). Really disappointing news.
wagtunes wrote:TimewARP was on sale a short time ago but had no demo version available so I passed on it.Yes, I'd really like a nice ARP 2600 but not at this price and not without being able to demo it.
And right you are, I can but agree with this, as I never would myself either. I just mentioned it because you seem fond of modulars (I am too) and seem to go way back with them too, and the ARP2600 still being one of the jewel any modular fan would drool upon you know, plus the TimewARP is the reknown best emulation available for it, so... But indeed, without a demo, I wouldn't even consider it myself.
wagtunes wrote:Thanks for the list. Will check out IRIS today.
Iris being a true spectral synth (wile Spectral, ironically, is mostly an additive one). Both synthesis aim at somewhat different sonic results (especially considering one is sample-based and not the other), so it also really is a matter of what you still miss in your arsenal and want to achieve I guess...

Go with DUNE 2 man..that is one versatile, powerful, quick to dial, awesome sounding piece of a synth! The "unison" in conjunction with the modulation matrix that allows to set parameters per unison voice, turns that synth into a multi part synthesizer and it becomes a beast for sound designers. I also love the ability to detune those unison voices, as if they were simple oscillators: you can make different parts, absolutely different sounds (a.k.a unison voices) with their own filters, envelopes, modulation, and even their own set of effects, etc..and then detune between them! That is an unique concept, IMHO. The flexibility that the filters bring, along with the "filter effects" to add some "color" to them..and the MSEGs for custom envelopes, LFOs and arps is also amazing.

Plus, the developers will add a tool to create your own wavetables, like in Serum, meaning that DUNE 2 power will grow exponentially, from the oscillator level.

Give it a go, it's totally worth it.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.

chk071 wrote:Just ouf of interest: Do you get to use all the synths you have? For me, i decided that less is more some time ago. I have about 10 synths in my VST folder atm, and i frequently use about 4 of them.
I'd venture to say he doesn't, and your decision is probably a sound one to actually boost productivity.
But then, there's nothing wrong either with being a synth whore (I know I am too ;)!)

Deist wrote:
chk071 wrote:Just ouf of interest: Do you get to use all the synths you have? For me, i decided that less is more some time ago. I have about 10 synths in my VST folder atm, and i frequently use about 4 of them.
I'd venture to say he doesn't, and your decision is probably a sound one to actually boost productivity.
But then, there's nothing wrong either with being a synth whore (I know I am too ;)!)
Actually, you would be stunned at the number of synths I use.

I'll leave it at that. :)

wagtunes wrote:...and Geist is $250...
Seriously.. Do you ignore my posts or something? :D Just sent you a link here where you can grab yours for 90e with etch filter. There are quite some suggestions too that you didn't even comment.

Lejurai wrote:You wanted cheap geist? There you go ^^ http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=431523
Etch filter in the same bargain.. Damn I'd grab this by myself if I didn't already spend my money :P
hey man ! thanks for the promotion :tu:

Lejurai wrote:
wagtunes wrote:...and Geist is $250...
Seriously.. Do you ignore my posts or something? :D Just sent you a link here where you can grab yours for 90e with etch filter. There are quite some suggestions too that you didn't even comment.
Please forgive me for missing your post. This is a 21 page thread.

** EDIT ** I decided to check out TimewARP 2600 again. There is an evaluation version available now but there are two problems.

1) It's only supported through Windows Vista. There is no mention of Windows 7. And it's even supported on XP. So this plugin must be ancient.

2) It's $250. For an ARP 2600 emulation?

Thanks, but I'll pass. It probably won't work anyway as it's 32 bit.

Also, in regard to the 2nd hand Geist on sale (approx $100) that only leaves me $100 for a synth, which is what I'm mainly looking for. I really don't want to shoot half my budget on something I am essentially just going to be using for drums.

Circle 2 is not out yet. At least I can't find it.

Everything else on the last list posted I've already tried or have no interest in. Lot of those synths are very, very old.

wagtunes wrote:Please forgive me for missing your post. This is a 21 page thread.
Ok np :)
wagtunes wrote:Also, in regard to the 2nd hand Geist on sale (approx $100) that only leaves me $100 for a synth, which is what I'm mainly looking for. I really don't want to shoot half my budget on something I am essentially just going to be using for drums.
Actually more like 80$. You'd still have 120$for synth but I understand. Just sent that because you told that 250$price is the only hold back for not getting it.
wagtunes wrote:Circle 2 is not out yet. At least I can't find it.
Circle2 will be basically be the same in the name of usability than circle1 is. Circle is very good synth IMO and worth a test run.
wagtunes wrote:Everything else on the last list posted I've already tried or have no interest in. Lot of those synths are very, very old.
Tassman4 is... 11 years old? Okay it's very old in vst life :D But the good side is that it pretty much sounds like it was released last year so.. Plus it allows you basically to build your own synth using different sound generators and modules. Cheapes ones I've seen here is around 30-40e.

edit* Whoops.. 90 dollars is more like 80 euros :P So yea.. Geist and etch is approx. 100$ :oops:
Last edited by Lejurai on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lejurai wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Please forgive me for missing your post. This is a 21 page thread.
Ok np :)
wagtunes wrote:Also, in regard to the 2nd hand Geist on sale (approx $100) that only leaves me $100 for a synth, which is what I'm mainly looking for. I really don't want to shoot half my budget on something I am essentially just going to be using for drums.
Actually more like 80$. You'd still have 120$for synth but I understand. Just sent that because you told that 250$price is the only hold back for not getting it.
wagtunes wrote:Circle 2 is not out yet. At least I can't find it.
Circle2 will be basically be the same in the name of usability than circle1 is. Circle is very good synth IMO and worth a test run.
wagtunes wrote:Everything else on the last list posted I've already tried or have no interest in. Lot of those synths are very, very old.
Tassman4 is... 11 years old? Okay it's very old in vst life :D But the good side is that it pretty much sounds like it was released last year so.. Plus it allows you basically to build your own synth using different sound generators and modules. Cheapes ones I've seen here is around 30-40e.
I demo'd Tassman4 late last year. The GUI was too small and it blew up my machine.

Return to “Instruments”