Allomerus - A Normal Life - (Now with video)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A Normal Life

This video features some sculptures from Bruno’s Sculpture Garden in Marysville, Victoria. If you can, we highly recommend a visit to see the gardens first hand and to see Bruno’s quirky sculptures in all their glory!

The Time lapses are from locations in Melbourne Australia.

This is a repost of this song, only this time with a video. I couldn’t resist adding Bruno’s amazing work as they compliment the sentiment of the video perfectly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9aeFu-gUbE

John Wegner: Guitar, Guitar Synth, Bass and Vocals
Paul Wegner: Drums and Percussion

Through all of life's ups and downs what do we really want?

Thanks to those that have a listen.

Cheers,
John

https://soundcloud.com/allomerus/a-normal-life
Last edited by Allomerus on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

iv'e tried a normal life , and it's not for everyone ...

as to the track , I quite like it ...
it evokes elements of the residents / snake finger era ,
as told by tom waits , waiting for a cup of coffee strong enough to
defend itself ...

your work has a roughness around the edges that makes it stand
out , and I'm guessing you deliver the goods at a live show ...

Thanks Experimental Crow! I know what you mean about a normal life isn't for everyone...
Snake finger is always a favourite! So is Tom Waits. Certainly didn't want to polish this too much, so glad you liked it like that...
:)
Bandcamp

Sounds good, real instruments and has a nice live flavor! But don't smoke too much, your voice sounds pretty damaged! :hihi:

Thanks Tricky. Glad you enjoyed the liveness of it. :)
Nearly everything is indeed live, however the sax was Guitar synth and the drums electronic. ;)
I don't actually smoke :o but I had a cold when I recorded this, liked the sound of it though... :hihi:
Bandcamp

I liked it. We don't have too many waltzes around here :)

This one reminded me of the feel you got with Clowns in Charge (I think). It had that sort of "fairground" vibe in places. That sax guitar-synth sounded very convincing in most places. I loved it when the vocal lines doubled up at 4:00. That was a big change in intensity just before the outro.

"mundane bliss" :lol:

Good work :)

An unpredictable song that isn't normal. Love the sax and the vox. I think the ending is the most interesting part.

I'm not crazy about that explosive snare sound. It takes up a lot of space in the mix. Not the best thing for the headache I happen to have now.

Wow, great tune.Like all of it. But like Frantz mentioned, that snare...I don`t know `bout that sample. :band2:
Were you playing the drums on your keyboard?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

quirky tune, john! i dug the bass, brass and your vocals most. drums were good as usual too,
but to be quite honest, i coulda used a little more cowbell and a little less snare... :hihi:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

seismic1 wrote:I liked it. We don't have too many waltzes around here :)

This one reminded me of the feel you got with Clowns in Charge (I think). It had that sort of "fairground" vibe in places. That sax guitar-synth sounded very convincing in most places. I loved it when the vocal lines doubled up at 4:00. That was a big change in intensity just before the outro.

"mundane bliss" :lol:

Good work :)
Thanks Tim. I always reckon a waltz is a bit quirky and can be sent up or changed into something a bit wrong! Clowns in Charge vibe is a good call. The vocal double was one of those times where the idea hits you and you do it first take, so thanks for that!

The sax Guitar Synth sounds very convincing except where I play it fast and it looses the sound of a sax. I guess that's what you mean and I would agree with that. It also takes the song out of it's comfort zone I think. ;)
Bandcamp

Frantz wrote:An unpredictable song that isn't normal. Love the sax and the vox. I think the ending is the most interesting part.

I'm not crazy about that explosive snare sound. It takes up a lot of space in the mix. Not the best thing for the headache I happen to have now.
Thanks Frantz! Glad you liked the sax, it all started from that... Funny, the ending was the part that took ages to get 'right', so I am glad I persevered with it. 8)

Sorry about your headache. :? Hope it's better now! :party:
Bandcamp

annode wrote:Wow, great tune.Like all of it. But like Frantz mentioned, that snare...I don`t know `bout that sample. :band2:
Were you playing the drums on your keyboard?
HI annode, thanks for your listen and comment. All the drums are played and recorded by Paul, so I just let him do what sounds right to him. Don't know what sample he used, but it is an electronic drum kit. Usually I use a 'drummer' in Logic X to get the feel of the track and then let him hear it and then he goes for it...

Glad you enjoyed it.
Bandcamp

layzer wrote:quirky tune, john! i dug the bass, brass and your vocals most. drums were good as usual too,
but to be quite honest, i coulda used a little more cowbell and a little less snare... :hihi:
Thanks layzer. Sometimes I sequence bass but this time it's all live to get the slightly off kilter sound and timing. Glad you enjoyed the vocals, sometimes that is a huge struggle for me to get it right, but for this it just flowed. Perhaps that us the secret.

Cowbell, now that would have been interesting. ;)
Bandcamp

Allomerus wrote: Cowbell, now that would have been interesting. ;)
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
Allomerus wrote: Cowbell, now that would have been interesting. ;)
Please excuse my ignorance, but who is in the picture?
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”