Orbital Synthesis - "A New Breed of Instrument"

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone, Nathan here from Wide Blue Sound. As a longtime reader of KVR, I’m excited to announce to you ORBIT: a new kind of cinematic synthesizer for Kontakt, developed with Hollywood composer Jeff Rona.

Here is the trailer, featuring music that is 100% Orbit (except the kick) – composed by the fantastic Simon Porter.

And a brief walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulxug3_VQUE

We've been overwhelmed with positive feedback from ORBIT so far. Here is a sampling of what our favorite composers had to say (more on our website):

“As a film composer, I am always searching for distinctive and inspirational sounds – well, I just bumped in to Orbit. With an intuitive graphical user interface and the ability to manipulate sounds beyond recognition, Orbit is truly an inspirational synth and one that will slide in to, and complement, my scoring template.”     - Harry Gregson-Williams

“I tend to shy away from ‘out of the box’ synth instruments because of the consistency of sound they provide, instead opting for the far more labor-intensive process of making my own. Yet Orbit has immediately impressed me with the way it can vary the sound you’re working with, to create something that’s very likely proprietary to what you’re working on.  That is enormously exciting because it’s also very easy to use. Consider me an instant fan. “     - Austin Wintory

“Orbit’s sonic possibilities are extremely inviting and immediately usable. I can’t wait to incorporate it into my next score. Well done!”     
- Joe Trapanese

“The ambiences are beautifully rich, evolving in ways that are versatile and extremely useful to the modern film composer. Orbit’s full library includes strong sound sources and a nice interface with impressive presets that are extremely tweak able.”     - Bill Brown

INSIDE ORBIT

A new kind of musical instrument for Kontakt, ORBIT is designed for stunning cinematic synths and atmospheric textures. With Orbit’s acclaimed interface, you can create rich, deep results in the blink of an eye.

Power meets simplicity.

ORBITAL SYNTHESIS

ORBIT creatively rotates and cascades between four linked Orbit players to create amazing tonal pulses, edgy hybrid rhythms, and dreamy atmospheric beds, all of which infinitely evolve over time.

At the heart of ORBIT lay three distinct rhythmic engines. Turn on Pulse Mode to create modern percussive elements, Chop Mode for an electronic/stuttered style, and Flow Mode for pads and textures as you’ve never heard them before. You can even morph between the modes seamlessly and in-time, using the sequencer.

SOUND-SHAPING NIRVANA

The Effects Page sculpts your sound with delays, multiple modulations, diverse distortions, and a special convolution engine that that includes several practical creative impulses, and beautiful reverbs from world-class hardware units commonly used in cinematic production.

ORBIT has 4 independent sequencers that modulate 24 useful parameters to further the creation of interesting, musical, and evolving sounds. Each sequencer has its own time base and extends up to 64 steps. Automatically generate new patterns, or process what’s there in dozens of ways. Then play it Forward, Reverse, both, even random. Beautiful sequences are only a click away.

Listen to music demos and find out more about ORBIT at www.WideBlueSound.com.

ORBIT drops March 25. Orders are available today with an introductory price of $150 (reg. $200). Requires Kontakt 5.4.2 or higher. Kontakt Player edition coming soon.

Thank you! We're very interested in your thoughts.

Hey guys, added a nice walkthrough video. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulxug3_VQUE

It's certainly a thoughtful and well-designed Kontakt instrument, and stands out from many other pad / ambient design instruments with its ease of use and wonderful GUI.

Having said that, because of the nature of its synth-like sounds, I can think of a few other Kontakt instruments which come close in terms of pad / ambient sound creation and at a cheaper price.

I imagine it would certainly be very useful for TV, documentary and movie composers.
However, I'm not entirely convinced I would use it often for my own (non-soundtrack) music arrangements.

I believe (wrongly?) that this is the first instrument by WideBlueSound. It's a very good effort which looks and sounds great.

If possible, one way to really stand out from the crowd with their next instrument would be to use the same infrastructure of four sounds revolving together, but to allow musicians to load their own samples in.

Cheers.

You can already load your own sounds into Orbit (by going in instrument edit mode, selecting a zone, right-click>exchange sample, then repeating that for all four groups). The caveat is that all the displayed names for the mapped samples are baked into the script (written by yours truly ;)).

And yes, it's the first library by WBS. :)

Mario - Orbit is awesome! Once again - you da man.

EvilDragon wrote:You can already load your own sounds into Orbit (by going in instrument edit mode, selecting a zone, right-click>exchange sample, then repeating that for all four groups). The caveat is that all the displayed names for the mapped samples are baked into the script (written by yours truly ;)).

Excellent - more incentive for me to buy it then :)

EvilDragon wrote:You can already load your own sounds into Orbit (by going in instrument edit mode, selecting a zone, right-click>exchange sample, then repeating that for all four groups). The caveat is that all the displayed names for the mapped samples are baked into the script (written by yours truly ;)).

Well that could get interesting, would you be able load other 3rd party kontakt library samples?

Yeah, it's a matter of removing the zone and copying the other one in.

You can do this with most any library out there that has unlocked edit mode, really.

Disapointed by the lack of real and in depth control.

Interesting translation of concepts like tension, pulsation, etc into simple tools.

But tbh I feel I could do nearly the same things, and maybe much more, by throwing a good modulator *sequencer* effect, on any Kontakt library with a lot of sustained patches. Then I wasn't that much impressed by the *tones* themselves. The most interesting thing might be 'Easy cinematic feel for film muzak' concept, ie the same tools than 'Ez stuttering for DubStep lovers', or 'easy TranceGate for Trancers'.

Then, the modulator is well thought, and clearly implemented. All in all, a very well integrated tool with a clear marketing target for amateurs who want to approach the flavor effortless, or pros who want to work fast and make kilometer music. Just don't know if I would really like to be part of this target. At the moment I feel like I would lack more precise control at a given point. But its certainly just me.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

jas wrote:Mario - Orbit is awesome! Once again - you da man.
Mario did an amazing job on ORBIT! :tu:

EvilDragon wrote:You can already load your own sounds into Orbit (by going in instrument edit mode, selecting a zone, right-click>exchange sample, then repeating that for all four groups). The caveat is that all the displayed names for the mapped samples are baked into the script
Is it a requirement that they be baked in? I wish I was more impressed by the sounds, but they don't seem like they're anything new per se.
I like the tweakability of it, though. Is this instrument more or less for film/games? The demos sounded that way to me; I don't know if I could use it for a sparse arrangement for a simple song; I guess that was not the intention..(Laurent, I don't think it's just you..)
Custom sample loading does sound somewhat intriguing.

I agree that I like the concept. I've been using it since the day of release. Many of the sounds can be swapped out. Yet, I still feel it needs better libraries (or banks of patches) and documentation. Intuitive does not explain all of it's functions. Also, demonstrate the best way to save our own patches as my attempts have left mine outside of the existing menus. So please, follow up on it!

I bought both Orbit and Signal the other day and am very happy with them both. I can say with certainty that they will both be all over my next album :tu:

quantum7 wrote:I bought both Orbit and Signal the other day and am very happy with them both. I can say with certainty that they will both be all over my next album :tu:
Glad to hear it!!
Wide Blue Sound :: Boutique Music Software
Inspiration you can hear.
WideBlueSound.com

Hey everyone! I want to announce our BIG 1.1 update. ORBIT now works with the free Kontakt Player, and has a slew of new features. Here is the change list:

ADDED: ORBIT now runs in the free Kontakt Player! It also now adds to the Kontakt Library tab, and features an easier install. (Your factory snapshots folder is now in the main ORBIT folder.)
ADDED: Assigned NRPNs to most parameters; enables external control from OSC, Lemur, etc.
ADDED: Input Quantize: Select a quantize value, and notes and chords will always start perfectly in time. Preview exactly what your pulses and chops will sound like, without needing to first record & quantize in your DAW.
ADDED: Micro-tuning: Holding shift when adjusting an ORBIT's tuning allows for cent-adjustments.
ADDED: a new ALL switch that makes CLONE and RANDOM affect the Orbit Parameters as well. This allows for even quicker experimentation!
ADDED: Several new sequencer processes.

IMPROVED: Naming of some existing sequencer processes
IMPROVED: Timing of certain sequencer destinations
IMPROVED: GUI enhancements

There are also many small improvements, tweaks and minor bugfixes.

Most fun of all, ORBIT is on SALE for $150! Use the code DEFY_GRAVITY at checkout. This is only for a short time so act now - there's never been a better time to jump into ORBIT!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”