George Duke Soul Treasures. Any followers?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a NI €25 voucher which is about to expire. As a Komplete 10 and Omnisphere owner, I'm pretty much catered for in most areas but since I'll never play like George Duke anyway, I'm looking at the soul treasures library. Details are sketchy about it and it hasn't been mentioned much on KVR either.

Judging from the (few) youtube videos it really looks like a loop library with quite a few twists to it. I'd never buy a loop library as I don't work that way but this seems more like a "real instrument" in it's own right.
Is it worth €75? Anyone have it?

If you were making Hip Hop you might get some use out of it. It's not an instrument.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Well, I do love his playing and I own pretty much all his albums. I was thinking it could be useful in an 80s funk or jazzy house context. I do suppose his chord progressions and licks go with quite a few styles styles, given the fact that you can cut, past and reverse pretty much everything.

K-Bee wrote:Well, I do love his playing and I own pretty much all his albums. I was thinking it could be useful in an 80s funk or jazzy house context. I do suppose his chord progressions and licks go with quite a few styles styles, given the fact that you can cut, past and reverse pretty much everything.
In that case it could be very useful to you. Just remember, it's not an instrument. You won't get a George Duke Clavinet, Electric Piano, Grand Piano and Wurlitzer but you will get loops of him playing those instruments. The fx you've mentioned would be useful in your style of music.

You could put a WTB in the KvR Marketplace before splashing out EUR 75. I'm sure I've seen it go for around EUR 30.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I have KU8 and KU9 and George Duke Soul Treasures is included with it. It has the distinction of being the only plug I own that I have never, ever used. Not even auditioned. Wish I could give it to you as a gift, but, alas, it's part of the bundle.

I'm not sure I understand what it is, other than a sample collection. As Aloysius points out, it's not an instrument. And, seeing that the piano is my main instrument, I'm not really sure what I could possibly do with it.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Thanks to the both of you :-)

Yeah, maybe I went out on a limb proclaiming that it was an instrument ;-) - but then again, it looks like way more than just a construction kit. Something I'd never even dream of buying!
seeing that the piano is my main instrument, I'm not really sure what I could possibly do with it.
You're possibly right there. I guess my main instrument is the piano as well, mainly because it's the only instrument I've been putting a bit of work into. Not that much though and I still suck :ud:
In terms of style, Soul Treasures would fit into the majority of my music but Duke's playing skills aside, I have to make sure it offers me something I cannot do otherwise. On paper this is very different from what else I have in my arsenal.
The jury's still out on this one :?:

K-Bee wrote:Thanks to the both of you :-)

Yeah, maybe I went out on a limb proclaiming that it was an instrument ;-) - but then again, it looks like way more than just a construction kit. Something I'd never even dream of buying!
seeing that the piano is my main instrument, I'm not really sure what I could possibly do with it.
You're possibly right there. I guess my main instrument is the piano as well, mainly because it's the only instrument I've been putting a bit of work into. Not that much though and I still suck :ud:
In terms of style, Soul Treasures would fit into the majority of my music but Duke's playing skills aside, I have to make sure it offers me something I cannot do otherwise. On paper this is very different from what else I have in my arsenal.
The jury's still out on this one :?:
i think this may merit a look ...
http://www.e-instruments.com/instrument ... lectric-r/

Yeah, I suppose the "Animator" function is in the same area as the GD library. And the price as well. That said, I have the Scarbee rhodes included in K10 as well as loads of rhodes patches on my Kurzweil PC3X.
Oh well, maybe I don't really need anything new at all :hihi:
Would be a shame letting than voucher expire though :wink:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”