Windowpane 2 & 3

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lush, slow, still, kind of quiet. Formal/expository.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKh8e2G4GA

edits,
now w. roll-in. amazing TamTam recording and amazing room response; it seems like it's making other things in the room sympathetically vibrate.
add. cymbals
correct a mistake
more cymbals
re-gauge the space of cymbals and make the large Tam BLOOM.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:42 am, edited 12 times in total.

Nice. Does this follow on from Porthole 2? It will make a good contrast to the mood of that piece.

It is still and quiet, but the bass at the beginning has that "quiet before the storm" quality. Something wicked this way comes.

Good work :)

yeah, it's the chillout after Porthole 2. for now anyway. I bet I stay with this order.

t.y

I made a bit of a lead-in with a rolling gigantor TamTam and a slight boom on the landing, not uploaded yet.

New work, Windowpane 3 up.

Primarily solo harp and Replika. I never did the thing where you rely on the delay rhythm repeating and play off that. Always struck me as cheezoid. But I was using this half-note triplet delay in two previous things - 3:4 vis a vis the time there, and isolating the harp give me this where I work from 3 as the pulse, and it was fun. Composed nearly the whole trip in one session.

This resembles my early writing, for wood guitar, back in the late '70s.

One of the really cool thing Replika does for this harp is like a vibrato on it.
This harp, one of the Garritan Gigaharps from back in the day, is a stunning instrument, a fantastic axe gorgeously captured. I remember lusting after them so much but I did not have enough computer to run Gigastudio then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3bIhTBlyvA

This reminds me of Manuel de Falla, a lot. I didn't have that in mind or anything, but eg., de Falla Homenaje de Tombeau de Debussy was big for me in my years on the wood guitar.

edit: tiny tweaks for fresh upload. about to splice together entirety of Aftermath as single track.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri May 01, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gary Garritan wrote: From early childhood I wanted to play the harp after seeing Harpo Marx play it in a movie.
http://www.garritan.com/about/

I once saw Julian Bream perform De Falla's Homenaje pour le tombeau de Debussy and grew up watching Marx Brothers movies (even though I was a kid I recall being rather mesmerized by the interplay of Harpo's and Chico's musical interludes).

The beginning of Windowpane 3 for some reason reminded me a little bit of some of Jeff Beck's stuff from back in the day.

:tu:

:)

There is a video at youtube of Bream [with a shaved head and a little bit Col. Kurtz] in a nothing-short-of miraculous performance of that composition. It's profound, his command of the instrument.

t.y

love me some Jeff Beck. I don't know why that bit happened exactly, I had the whole harp part done and decided to decorate it a little to give it "a beginning".

Listened last night and again today. I really enjoy the spaces you create with these kinds of sound scapes. Very well done.
Thanks!
The Harp in Windowpane 3 sounds great!

t.y

were I to pick a favorite from this set it would be Porthole 1, which takes you on the proverbial primrose path and then -
hear the whole set. now 5 pieces, will grow a little more.

Great ambience created by the harp/delay/verb combo. Not cheesy. at all.

Are you going to update the Consequénces set later? I imagine I would want to pick this up.

Good work :)

I have a plan, which usually doesn't happen, for a thing between Windowpane 2 Prelude and Windowpane 3. Where the beginning bit of the latter is a transition.
I started some madness for now called Porthole 3 which is either going to come before everything else; or be something else; or be incorporated into something I don't know anything about.

It will be a full set at 6 or 7 tracks. I have Windowpane 2-B going with a very good start, it's going to happen.

Cool. I'm watching and I'm waiting....

Porthole 3 incorporates Windowpane 2-B now, between "Windowpane 2 Prelude" and Windowpane 3.

Return to “Music Cafe”