Carpenters Vs. Zappa

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, Karen Carpenter was quite an accomplished musician compared with most of the pop singers today.

not a huge fan of either really
both have done odd bits that i enjoy but neither are on my regular playlist

Now if it was; Carpenters Vs. Zappa Vs. Roy Castle, we'd have a debate on our hands.

Love them both equally for their various strengths and talents.

That said, the Carpenters had some amazing lessons for me as far as arranging things goes.

Zappa was all about a high level of musicianship and creativity.

Numanoid wrote:So which multi-instrumentalist unit do you prefer?
Kanye West.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

zappa , by a nose ...

experimental.crow wrote:zappa , by a nose ...
And moustache!

Great to see Karen in full flesh - and sad to know how the show biz manipulated her to distroy herself. Carpenters were talented, one of the best in their genre ("white sweet pop").
The video example of the Zappa is not the most representative to demonstrate his multi-skills: composer, arranger, solo-guitarist, vocalist, band-leader, score-writer, showmanship, multigenremixer, well...hustler etc.

Zappa is easily one of the most accomplished, and influential, musicians of the century. I respected Karen Carpenter and would compare her to a different pop performer. Zappa deserves comparison to classical composers, guitarists, band leaders (Miles Davis for example), who cycled through musicians and began many a storied music career, etc. He is the single greatest musician of my generation (baby boomers) imo.
Last edited by Gonga on Wed May 27, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

And he gave us that immortal line (amongst many)
"Broken hearts are for assholes"
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Gonga wrote:Zappa is easily one of the most accomplished, and influential, musicians of the century. I respected Karen Carpenter and would compare her to a different pop performer. Zappa deserves comparison to classical composers, guitarists, band leaders (Miles Davis for example), who cycled through musicians and began many a storied music career, etc. He is the single greatest musician of my generation (baby boomers) imo.
Karen Carpenter was a pro musician, but there were more than one Carpenter.

Richard Carpenter I would call a genius arranger, and in addition somebody who excelled at the piano.

Harry_HH wrote: The video example of the Zappa is not the most representative to demonstrate his multi-skills: composer, arranger, solo-guitarist, vocalist, band-leader, score-writer, showmanship, multigenremixer, well...hustler etc.
The only clip I could find of the Black Page on youtube with him, the rest was Zappa plays Zappa...

Zappa excelled in many areas, but I wish he wouldn't play guitar, I just can't stand his soloing.

Numanoid wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: The video example of the Zappa is not the most representative to demonstrate his multi-skills: composer, arranger, solo-guitarist, vocalist, band-leader, score-writer, showmanship, multigenremixer, well...hustler etc.
The only clip I could find of the Black Page on youtube with him, the rest was Zappa plays Zappa...

Zappa excelled in many areas, but I wish he wouldn't play guitar, I just can't stand his soloing.
shut up ...
:wink:

back in the day, there was this cat in the neighborhood; and he wore his hair/beard just like frank zappa, and played a gibson sg, and copied 'all' of the zappa riffs. the guy didn't care for jimmy page's playing ('phrasing was off' or somesuch), but thought that zappa was the bees knees. i can still remember he and his friends crashing a keggar, and playing 'mr. green genes'.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”