Now that TimeWarp 2600 is owned/distributed by SoniVox

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TimewARP 2600

it's a very good sounding synth, thats why we are asking for an update

TimeWarp 2600 2.0 has the potential to become a peer of Synape Legend and U-he Repro-1. Treat the 2.0 update a little more seriously and make it reality.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

If speech about v2, would be cool to add sequencer module )

Basically the 2600P 1.0 model or earlier are the most desirable, sound-wise. The most ideal to emulate and make timeless. Both as far as the oscillators and the filters are concerned. The later models had lesser quality of both of those.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/arp.php
http://discretesynthesizers.com/arptron ... ations.htm

Back in early January 2008, I compiled a list of updates/bug fixes, on suggestion from Jim, the creator of TimewARP2600, and I sent it to him via email.

This was it:

1) Levels are almost always going into the red (it's hard to tell if the signal is clipping or not, although most times it is, even a little bit. I had to re-edit most of the factory presets of the 1.15 version, as they were too loud. But even then to get a proper volume on a sound without it becoming totally quiet, I couldn't decrease the volume all the way. And still the meter at the top would always go into the red. So the meter is wrong and needs fixing.)

2) Fix filter readout pop-up frequency display. All older patches would need to be converted (all the factory patches and user patches). So the correct filter cut off values are shown on the GUI in accordance to the scale. So this wouldn't change the actual brightness of the sound but just move the slider and put it in the proper position on the GUI - in most cases higher than it currently is. Internally you would probably need to adjust the position of the slider to correspond with the GUI correctly, and so that the actual filter values do not change in the already created patches.

Both the readout is wrong, because it says it is cutting off at 1Khz, but in truth, it is cutting off at 9kHz. And also the position of the slider on the GUI is not logical or correct in relation to the scale on the GUI.

3) Change filter range, for a range of 10Hz to 25 kHz, as per original ARP2600 4012 Moog ladder-filter. Also more closely emulate the later 4072 filter, also respecting its range.

4) Completely redo filter structure and open it up with much more possibilities:
With combinable options.

These options would vastly expand the sound capabilities, of an already great synth.

(Other options for later consideration, would be possibilities of routing oscillators into different filter types, in parallel. This would require multiple filters to be running at the same time, which would expand the sonic capabilities even further, but perhaps be at odds with the idea that this synth remain a strict emulation. I have however heard from other users, that such options would not compromise the emulation side of the plugin, rather expand on things which users have wanted in the hardware 2600, way back in the early 70's.)

2016 EDIT: ZDF filters.

5) Possibly introduce an option for oscillator drift/instability/tuning. Make option based settings for this, so as not to change already created presets. Especially the overpowering bass and lead patches that this synth has.

6) Allow the synth to have various levels of internal oversampling and CPU management, for quality adjustment, per user, according to their needs.

7) The ability to drag and drop presets within Patch Manager, from one bank to another, from one User folder to another. Expand and make the Patch Manager, more user friendly and customizable.

8} Color code patch cables (Allow the user to choose their preferred colour, from a color wheel.)

9) Option to move, hide or make transparent the patch cables.

10) Fix the brightness of all oscillator sine waves to represent the brighter sine waves found on hardware 2600s, not the pure sine which TW currently offers. Alternatively put a selector switch for this, giving the user an option of pure or vintage sine waves. (I think Jim fixed this, but did not put a selector switch, so it may change some patches.)

11) Redo reverb emulation, to represent closer the original.

12) Update GUI, make it clearer and more beautiful. Allow for resizing (2016 update to this note: resizable like Sylenth1 v3).

13) 4 pages, the synth, the sequencer, the effects and the browser page.

14) Bug: Changing presets when the synth is bypassed in the host (or turned off on the synth GUI) crashes both the synth and the host.

15) The fonts in the little preset description box are much smaller than they were in version 1.10.

16) On the synth's keyboard section, "LFO Speed" is currently mis-written as "LFO Seed".

17) Eventually add a modern 256 step matrix sequencer (touch screen capable) or a more limited old-style 16 or 32 step sequencer for version 2 of the plugin. As another page/tab. As long as it's something with blinking lights. :P And as per your suggestion allow the sequencer to sequence not only notes, but effects and other modules of the synth.

Jim answered me with:

Thank you for your ideas on how to improve TW. I have long considered adding different filter types to the product, and many of your other suggestions are sound, and well thought out. Some of them might be harder than they appear to achieve, but most are very achievable.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

EXACTLY what a 2.0 version should look like especially internal upsampling which should be permanently engaged. 2008 was nearly a decade ago and today's CPUs are many times more powerful.

electro wrote:EXACTLY what a 2.0 version should look like especially internal upsampling which should be permanently engaged. 2008 was nearly a decade ago and today's CPUs are many times more powerful.
In my opinion sound quality of oscillators is great in current (1.6) version. It should be noted that at the 8 active voices at the moment consumes about 40% of one cpu core. So I beg you, do not need anything to raise\increase. Do not need to do plugin unusable.

When was the last update, exactly?

thomaskyhn wrote:When was the last update, exactly?
I believe the SoniVox acquisition brought in a new licensing system.

electro wrote:
thomaskyhn wrote:When was the last update, exactly?
I believe the SoniVox acquisition brought in a new licensing system.
I see – how about the audio software itself?

I'm assuming some bugfixes with no audio engine changes. That was 2014.

electro wrote:I'm assuming some bugfixes with no audio engine changes. That was 2014.
Thanks for the info.

Return to “Instruments”