New audio interface?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an new audio interface as an upgrade to my old interface. At the moment I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP and an Audient Mico dual channel preamp. On the whole this setup sounds and worrks great but ideally I'd like to have both the interface and preamps in one box. So, I'd like an interface with preamps on a par with the Mico but with better converters and headphone amps than the Saffire interface. Here is the spec I would like :-

1/ 2x Mic Pres on a par with the Audient Mico
2/ 2x separate headphone amps with individually customizable headphone mixes
3/ Dual studio monitor outputs with a/b switching
4/ 2x di inputs
5/ Rack-mountable
6/ Comfort reverb (not essential)
7/ Midi I/O (not essential)

Is there an interface under £1000 that would offer this level of performance with these features?

Thanks

The MOTU Audio Express is $400 USD. It has some of what your want. But they also have more expensive ones in your price range with more stuff. Their converters are excellent. Their newest line are the AVB interfaces. That's going above your limit slightly, but it's the way of the future. BTW, I don't work for MOTU, I just admire the company.

Thanks for the reply. I like the look of the new upcoming Presonus Studio 192

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

It looks as though this interface has everything I want.

RME Fireface 802 sounds great and has a huge amount of flexibility. It's right at the top end of your budget but it's a super reliable interface. I didn't have a great experience with a MOTU before I got the RME.

I've owned both the MR816x and Fireface 400 (which I currently use).

Either one of those would cover your needs at a fraction of your budget, the MR816 being slightly sweeter sounding imo.

Thanks. Yes the RME was another option but I'm not keen on the Toalmix software looks pretty confusing and cluttered. Also, I'm a little concerned that the pres only have 54dB of gain vs 80dB on the Presonus. Some of the work I do is location classical recordings.

Rme is super solid. The total mix software is easy to get your head around once you start messing with it. Works just like a mixer. I don't think you'll miss the rest of that gain too much even with quieter recordings. The rme preamps are as quiet as pretty much anything else on the market. Mainly though rme has the most stable drivers I've ever used so I'd take one of their interfaces over most of the others on the market.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

The RME Firefaces (400/800) are fantastic. They've been around for a while but are really great in terms of sound quality and reliability. And they both are under your current budget :)
Cinematic Virtual Instruments

http://www.audioimperia.com

Thought I'd post a quick update. I've had a change in direction and am going to sell my second pair of reference monitors as my toddler nearly pulled one of my main monitors on top of himself!!! Very scary!!! I've only got space for one pair of monitors on my studio desk shelf so the other pair will have to go.

As a result I no longer need an interface with dual studio monitor outputs so I thought I'd try and find if there are still any new Saffire Pro 24 DSP's because I loved the one I had. It does everything I need, sounds great, is totally rock solid and there is nothing new I'd have to learn with a different interface! After a lot of searching and phoning around I managed to find one dealer with one left and I went with it. Whilst it's discontinued Focusrite said they will still be supporting the Saffire Pro 24 DSP with any firmware updates where necessary! Really happy and satisfied, thanks to all for taking the time and and recommendations kfhkh

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”