THE SPACE BELOW (Based on a field recording of a gurgling basin)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... sed-on-the

Sound Waves is a project by Cities and Memory that forms part of World Listening Day 2015. It will celebrate and build on this year’s World Listening Day theme of water by presenting a collective re imagining of the sounds of water around the world and the role it plays in our lives.

Artists submit a field recording and re imagining of water somewhere in the world: ocean, river, lake, stream, swimming pool, boiling kettle, splash of a puddle – anything in which water is the defining sound.

I tried out a number of field recordings for this project; walking around the central Birmingham area pointing my Zoom recorder at various rivers, canals, fountains etc…Nothing quite grabbed my imagination as I’d hoped!
Then back home my 16 year old son took an interest in what I was doing and instantly suggested our very own ‘Gurgling Basin’ – PERFECT!
30 minutes later - the field recording was finished and my mind was whirring with ideas after my son put his eye as close as possible to the plughole and asked “I wonder what’s actually down there?”
Using Camel Audio’s Alchemy environment I loaded up 4 different chunks from the original recording and set to work on the remix…
The final version uses granular and spectral techniques to warp the imported wave files + an additive synthesis layer weaving its way through the other threads to create the mysterious melodic motifs.

Sometimes the solution is right under your nose. :) The processed water sounds are more impressive than the modest sink pictured on the track. Is that yours? Do you have separate hot and cold taps? I haven't seen a sink like that in 30-40 years.

Actually I think the additive synthesis is the best part of this piece. It's like a low key, moody church organ. I think you should use this synth sound again.

Some expert mangling going on here, and the music is a perfect fit for the title. I think this could have been longer. It arrived and departed just as I was getting really comfortable with it. I got to use the SoundCloud repeat button for the first time.

Good work :)

great atmosphere. this is really a treat with headphones. calm and relaxing.
perhaps maybe add a far distant toilet flush to compliment the wash basin? lol jk. nice job
and inspires me to get a good field recorder for myself!
Last edited by layzer on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Using Camel Audio’s Alchemy environment I loaded up 4 different chunks from the original recording and set to work on the remix…
The final version uses granular and spectral techniques to warp the imported wave files + an additive synthesis layer weaving its way through the other threads to create the mysterious melodic motifs.
Hey mark. This treatment worked out really well. I would like to hear at least a 20min version of this showing deeper and deeper exploration.
Why so short? Didn`t you feel it was worth more time?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Lovely and relaxing. Great use of sounds! Well done! :)
Yes, it should be longer...
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Frantz wrote:Sometimes the solution is right under your nose. :) The processed water sounds are more impressive than the modest sink pictured on the track. Is that yours? Do you have separate hot and cold taps? I haven't seen a sink like that in 30-40 years.

Actually I think the additive synthesis is the best part of this piece. It's like a low key, moody church organ. I think you should use this synth sound again.
'Sink'?..please, that's a basin if you don't mind! :0)

It's my bathroom basin - taps are ONLY 20 years old (I know, because I fitted them myself - never again!) Basin is at least 50 years old...possibly more as it's an Edwardian house; might have to do some research and find out now you've raised it.

Synth sound is definitely saved.

annode wrote:
Hey mark. This treatment worked out really well. I would like to hear at least a 20min version of this showing deeper and deeper exploration.
Why so short? Didn`t you feel it was worth more time?

Why so short?

Basically down to technical issues...

It was written for a project with a definite deadline and I was originally doing it all in REAKTOR (6 minutes + in length)...until it kept crashing.

Despite help from NI, the problem persisted and I had to restart from scratch in Alchemy with just one day to go...did it all in just under 3 frantic hours and simply didn't have the time to extend it; maybe later if I get a chance.

ChamMusic wrote: 'Sink'?..please, that's a basin if you don't mind! :0)
We seem to have stumbled onto one of those British vs. American language differences:

http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/ ... n.1984283/

Apparently Brits have kitchen sinks and washbasins in the bathroom. To Americans both are called sinks. Off topic but kind of interesting.

Frantz wrote:
ChamMusic wrote: 'Sink'?..please, that's a basin if you don't mind! :0)
Apparently Brits have kitchen sinks and washbasins in the bathroom. To Americans both are called sinks. Off topic but kind of interesting.
"Two countries divided by a common language" again I guess :)
ChamMusic wrote:I did it all in just under 3 frantic hours and simply didn't have the time to extend it; maybe later if I get a chance.
I really liked it too. :tu: Sometimes having to just get things done and finish them, no matter how, is no bad thing. We're all spoiled for choice when it comes tools and capabilities these days, so it helps to have to cut to the chase.

I did a similar set of short-notice challenges called Noise Intercepted a couple of years ago, and, like you, I ended up using Alchemy and field recordings on several of those - it must be a good combination!
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

Sometimes having to just get things done and finish them, no matter how, is no bad thing. We're all spoiled for choice when it comes tools and capabilities these days, so it helps to have to cut to the chase.
Totally agree - focuses the mind and sharpens up the whole process for me.

Too many choices - bad for us in so many ways!

A few months ago I drastically cut back my VST synth collection - I now limit myself to Kontakt 5 + Reaktor + Alchemy + Synth-master + Zeta+2.

Totally refreshing, invigorating experience - I highly recommend it - I haven't regretted it for a millisecond!

That does explain it - interesting!

'Pants' - even more serious language confusion! :0)

ChamMusic wrote:

But a certain American guitarist has a liking for the Voltage-controlled aluminium bidet :scared:

ChamMusic wrote:
Randy :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

seismic1 wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:

But a certain American guitarist has a liking for the Voltage-controlled aluminium bidet :scared:
Gurgling Basins to Voltage Controlled Aluminium Bidets...wherever next? :0)

Haven't even thought about Brand X for 20 years and now I've got this weird urge to listen to them once again!

Return to “Music Cafe”