Is there a audible difference between 30Hz and 40Hz as edge frequencies of subwoofer?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to choose between two subwoofers, but one has from 30Hz and another from 40Hz...
Is there a big difference between both or is it not audible?

I would choose the second with 40Hz and up, but Im afraid that bass is cut out...

(I have monitors which start at 80hz)

Figures like this on paper don't mean much. The real question is: which subwoofer sounds better in practice, in your room with your monitors and with your music.

Speakers don't really have a cutoff point, it' s a gradual slope. Some manufacturers specify the point where the level is 3dB below ideal, others quote the -6dB or -10dB point. So for this reason alone you cannot compare directly. Then there is the slope itself: it could be -6dB per octave or -24dB per octave. Those will sound different. It could also be that the one that goes lower has a horrible resonance-like peak somewhere in it's range.

So you really should listen how they sound. It's quite possible that the subwoofer that looks good on paper sounds horrible, or vice versa.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Ok, as example the Fostex PM-SUBmini, whom size is great VS the Samson Resolv Sub 120A, whom size is really huge, but it goes down to 30 Hz...

I have tested the Samson Sub and I like the deep frequency spectrum but it is way too big for my setup(and I dont need the power)... So I find the Fostex Sub,which is little and the tests are really nice.BUT just down to 40 Hz!

Thats WHY I ask this question and I cant find a frequency response curve of the Fostex which would solve everything because I would compare both!

I think you missed BertKoor's main point: you're better of ignoring the numbers and going with other factors. You have to live with the sound and your room. You cannot rely on the sound you hear from any speaker to be "100% accurate", anyway - there's really no such thing, in my opinion. If you mix on a speaker that's really flat down to 30Hz, someone with a sub that's flat down to 40Hz then gets messy isn't going to like your mixes anyway, if you put too much into that bottom end. If you're worried about getting a good mix, you'll need to be auditioning your mixes on the kind of equipment your target audience uses - or modelled approximations (i.e. ignore the sound, just look at the waveform). If it's just your listening pleasure, you go with your ears.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”