Pro-Tools Free is out. At least it is for moi...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro Tools Ultimate

Downloaded ProTools Free this morning. After throwing everything AAX into it...finding it quite stable.

It appears that the emails announcing your copy is getting quicker as well. 8) :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Ok, so where did you get it...and how?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Wondering too. By clicking on the "Get on the list" button? http://apps.avid.com/ProToolsFirst/ Hey, i want it now! :P

Looks like they want to make you feel as exclusive as possible:
Pro Tools | First is here, a completely free version of the industry-standard audio production powerhouse. Due to high demand, we’ll be making downloads available to those on the sign-up list over the coming weeks. Sign up now and we’ll notify you when your download is ready.

trimph1 wrote:Downloaded ProTools Free this morning. After throwing everything AAX into it...finding it quite stable.

It appears that the emails announcing your copy is getting quicker as well. 8) :hihi:
Are you able to load third party AAX plugins into this? What about Avid AAX plugins that don't come bundled with Free?

I'd be really interested in knowing how their avowed 'cloud' project storage works out; never seen anything that wasnt from Avid about it. Is there any local storage/archiving of projects, or are you stuck with deleting stuff once you go past the 3 'free' projects worth of storage?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I guess so. In the version comparison it says 3 cloud projects, no word about local storing like on the other versions.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-too ... ison-table

bharris22 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Downloaded ProTools Free this morning. After throwing everything AAX into it...finding it quite stable.

Are you able to load third party AAX plugins into this? What about Avid AAX plugins that don't come bundled with Free?
Seems to support any AAX plugin, third party or Avid's own
Barry

whyterabbyt wrote:I'd be really interested in knowing how their avowed 'cloud' project storage works out; never seen anything that wasnt from Avid about it. Is there any local storage/archiving of projects, or are you stuck with deleting stuff once you go past the 3 'free' projects worth of storage?
I get the impression it is only 3 projects.

Although I tend towards not using cloud storage right now.
Barry

trimph1 wrote:
bharris22 wrote:

That would be huge for me - I was under the impression from their website that the only non-bundled AAX plugs it would support would be ones you purchased "in app" at the Avid store . . . .

planetearth wrote:Ok, so where did you get it...and how?

Steve
You clicking the get on the list button. You will get an email from them about your download is ready. It took me awhile to get it though.
Barry

bharris22 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
bharris22 wrote:

That would be huge for me - I was under the impression from their website that the only non-bundled AAX plugs it would support would be ones you purchased "in app" at the Avid store . . . .
Ummmm...got to check that out...I did get some out of the in-app store. I may have misread something... :help:
Barry

trimph1 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:I'd be really interested in knowing how their avowed 'cloud' project storage works out; never seen anything that wasnt from Avid about it. Is there any local storage/archiving of projects, or are you stuck with deleting stuff once you go past the 3 'free' projects worth of storage?

Just saw this on their FAQ:
Q. Pro Tools | First includes three Cloud Projects, what does this mean?
A. Unlike Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD software where an unlimited number of sessions can be stored locally on your computer’s hard disk, projects for Pro Tools | First are stored in the cloud on Avid Servers, accessed through your Avid Master Account from anywhere. Avid provides up to three free projects (songs) with Pro Tools | First.
Not sure why they want to force cloud storage. :?

chk071 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:

Just saw this on their FAQ:
Q. Pro Tools | First includes three Cloud Projects, what does this mean?
A. Unlike Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD software where an unlimited number of sessions can be stored locally on your computer’s hard disk, projects for Pro Tools | First are stored in the cloud on Avid Servers, accessed through your Avid Master Account from anywhere. Avid provides up to three free projects (songs) with Pro Tools | First.
Not sure why they want to force cloud storage. :?
"Cloud storage" seems incompatible with audio production. Uploading and downloading huge files as part of your project will give you little time to get anything done.

And if all you get is three projects--total--for this free version, they should just call it a "demo".

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

chk071 wrote:I guess so. In the version comparison it says 3 cloud projects, no word about local storing like on the other versions.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-too ... ison-table
I think that means there aren't any other options.

Can a Pro Tools project contain more than one saved edit (like in Tracktion)?

well i want to know why they aren't giving pro tools and pro tools hd users cloud yet when the free version is forced to use it... avid.. make some sense of your strategies lol.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”