Gloria - (DELETED)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(DELETED)
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow, the ol`portastudio. My friend owned one of those.
Back then I used a Tascam open reel 4 trk.
Didn`t get a PC until 98 with Cubase 5. Still using the Steinberg 24/96 RME card that came with Cubase and Wavelab.
Never got around to using SMPTE.
Like much of Zappa`s guitar focused albums this sorta left me flat, although way more sophisticated then anything I was doing. Good guitar work too.
To what media did you mix down to? Cubase or the Tascam?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Mixdown was straight to my hifi cassette player - my Cubase was midi only. I edited the midi, recorded the guitars in one go (many takes!) , pressed record on the cassette and then just pressed play on the Tascam. Those were the days!

I still have my Portastudio although it's been a long time since I used it! What a great machine it was for it's time. Multi-tracking at home, amazing...
Your track is sounding great, nice guitar lines and a very cool beat. Like the intense bits like at 5:30... The ending is very powerful. Guitar soars...
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks, Allomerus!
My fingers are not as nimble as they were in those days - Shreddage to the rescue! :D
I had to chuck my portastudio in the bin - the tape spindle/mechanics went belly-up. You could hear the motors whirring but the tape didn't move. Shame. I was actually in the middle of using it to transfer my old stuff to my PC by way of real-time recording when it packed up. Hey ho.

Thinking about it now, it would have been handy to pass a mix through it and back to Cubase to get that "analog" sound!

back in 96 i was still using my Amiga500 running a sequencer called Music-X sequencing My Ensoniq VFX, a korg M3R, a Kawai K4r and an Alesis SR16 drum machine...all of which i still have! (sentimental 1st studio memories) i soldered my own midi interface from a schematic i got off the early internet! haha

anyway... this song is nice. i get a bit of an old U2 vibe off it, perhaps the name?
it builds up well and left me full and satisfied at the end :) although IMO it got a tiny bit distorted at that point.

the hiss at the beginning brings back them old tape productions when i attempted
vocals using a 4 track and a smpte box.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Distortion!? Nah, that's tasteful saturation! :D

Ayorinde wrote: Thinking about it now, it would have been handy to pass a mix through it and back to Cubase to get that "analog" sound!
Now there's an idea! ;)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”