I need help understanding orchestral musics

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm new in this forum and newbie to vsti's world, daws, etc and I have some questions...
I would like to learn to create some orchestral sound, with strings, piano and choirs, things like that.. and already learned some things.

To the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6BpRnnAIQ

1) In the beggining of that demonstration there is a choir (I don't know if it's a synth sound), and a string instrument doing tremolo. Which is the plugin can I use to create the same effect like that coral?
2) 0:48, another instruments are making the music more 'uplifting' (not the main instrument - cello - I'm talking about the background), how can I achieve this kind of ambience background?
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cuXPihF0XY
For my educational purposes, I'm trying to make the same music in this video (because I have crawled the whole web searching for the original but nobody knows what music is that), but in 0:10 I can't not make the same uplifting feeling with cellos doing stacatto, and others instruments but I think that instruments have some adjustments because they doesn't look like in yours original sound. So.. how you can see I need some help too learn basic concepts in music production.. especially to this area. Any tutorials, links, plugins (free or paid) will be a great help.
Sorry for bad english

Welcome to the forum Elieder. :)

Composing for an orchestra, be it VSTi, or real, is quite different from other forms of music making. That is, if you want to sound realistic, make money out of it, or just delight others with your unbelievably realistic music.

There are certain rules for orchestral composing. I recommend to keep a few simple things in mind from the start:

-What kind of music you're writing. Is it epic, (hybrid/film/trailer) or intimate (TV, exhibitions) or Pop or something else? The video you posted has a very epic, but romantic feeling to it, so in other words, it's a bit old-school, slightly golden-era sound. I would take a look at VSL or East West. Kirk Hunter has a new library coming this fall, the demo has a nice golden-era flavor to it and it's promised to be crazy affordable.

I compiled a list of all multisampled orchestral libraries. Here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=443073

The following might sound a bit gibberish tech-talk, if you're not familiar with these.
-EQ, (equalize) to keep the frequency spectrum clear and muddy-less and to bring the different character of the instruments out in the mix.
-Panning, in other words, placing the instruments acoustically in a space. There are a lot of guides to this, but you can find pretty easy maps to where to place the instruments. That isn't to say, that there would be any rules preventing you from experimenting, just the standard that most use.
-Listen to real orchestral scores, side-to-side with VST-scores. Since you're particularly interested in Cello, (good choice: an expressive and emotional instrument, favorite of many composers :wink: ) I recommend checking out the official Game Of Thrones theme next to a real orchestral version of it. Pay especial attention to the lead cello part. You'll get a hang of how to build your own midi-lines to maximise the expressiveness of a VSTi. Just remember, a VSTi will never be the same as the real thing no matter how expensive, be it guitar or a viola.

As for the cello, there are few options. The Best Service Emotional Cello was just released and it might be the most advanced, but priciest. Embertone has one and Spitfire has too, both in the 100-150e-range. Aria's Cello is pretty cheap compared to that, but it might be a good one for the start. Note, that if you don't have Kontakt, it'll only work in demo mode. (20 minutes)

If you can afford US$15 you could check out Groove3's MIDI Orchestration Explained tutorials. They only total about 4 hours of video so you could spend the rest of the month checking out their other excellent products.

Guide to the Practical Study of Harmony (Tchaikovsky, Pyotr)

Return to “Sound Design”