Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

igoramos wrote:Just got my Seaboard RISE 49 yesterday and am having the weirdest issue. When I assign ModWhl (CC1) to the glide strip (in Dashboard), midi monitor sees the modulation data but my synthesizers do not. In my case Equator and Reaktor Form. I tried this in Bitwig and Cubase with no luck. I have 4 keyboards and the synths can see CC1 from all of them. Just not the Roli. How can this be?

In midi monitor, I can see that its sending the exact same data message as the other controllers, on ch. 1. Only difference is the SysEx manufacturer's ID.

I've spent hours on this so any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,

IA
Not sure what you mean exactly. You say glide strip?
Do you mean one of the sliders at the left?
It should work then. I always use modwheel there.
Did you try to set the synth to channel 1 only?

Cinebient wrote:
igoramos wrote:Just got my Seaboard RISE 49 yesterday and am having the weirdest issue. When I assign ModWhl (CC1) to the glide strip (in Dashboard), midi monitor sees the modulation data but my synthesizers do not. In my case Equator and Reaktor Form. I tried this in Bitwig and Cubase with no luck. I have 4 keyboards and the synths can see CC1 from all of them. Just not the Roli. How can this be?

In midi monitor, I can see that its sending the exact same data message as the other controllers, on ch. 1. Only difference is the SysEx manufacturer's ID.

Best,

IA
Yes, I mean the sliders at the left. Verified setting synth channel 1 with no luck. I also tried getting it to work in Logic Pro X and Studio One 3 and it doesn't work in any of them. In Bitwig, I can use an inline midi monitor and it shows notes and aftertouch messages coming into the track but no CC1 mod wheel messages from the slider that is clearly assigned in Dashboard as CC1: Modulation Wheel.

I've tried everything I can think of. Turning off the unit. Charging fully. Plugging directly into my computer USB. setting every premutation of modes. The oddest thing is that my OSX app "MIDI Monitor" shows CC1 and other assigned CC messages coming into my iMac, but it doesn't get through to the track! In Bitwig, there are no midi filters on the tracks. I see modulation coming into the track from my other keyboards. And I have no midi filters in my other DAWs either.

The other odd thing is that when I reset the RISE in Dashboard, the default assignment to that slider (CC107) does come into the track, but no other CC I assign it to does.

Very frustrating to say the least.

igoramos wrote:
Cinebient wrote:

Best,

IA
Yes, I mean the sliders at the left. Verified setting synth channel 1 with no luck. I also tried getting it to work in Logic Pro X and Studio One 3 and it doesn't work in any of them. In Bitwig, I can use an inline midi monitor and it shows notes and aftertouch messages coming into the track but no CC1 mod wheel messages from the slider that is clearly assigned in Dashboard as CC1: Modulation Wheel.

I've tried everything I can think of. Turning off the unit. Charging fully. Plugging directly into my computer USB. setting every premutation of modes. The oddest thing is that my OSX app "MIDI Monitor" shows CC1 and other assigned CC messages coming into my iMac, but it doesn't get through to the track! In Bitwig, there are no midi filters on the tracks. I see modulation coming into the track from my other keyboards. And I have no midi filters in my other DAWs either.

The other odd thing is that when I reset the RISE in Dashboard, the default assignment to that slider (CC107) does come into the track, but no other CC I assign it to does.

Very frustrating to say the least.
That´s strange, i have no problem to use it this way in Logic Pro X.
It seems every Seaboard has it´s own strange life :roll:
Have you the dashboard open while trying it. I had/have a few problems with the sliders when i have open the dashboard (or Equator) or active in the background. When i close it the problems are gone.

Cinebient wrote:
Have you the dashboard open while trying it. I had/have a few problems with the sliders when i have open the dashboard (or Equator) or active in the background. When i close it the problems are gone.
Thanks for the tip. Tried to close the Dashboard with no luck.

Here's a new pieces to the puzzle. I re-opened Cubase and opened mini monitor there and verified that the track was getting modulation CC1, then assigned that to a parameter in Reaktor Form and it worked! BUT, the track no longer receives regular note data anymore! WTF!? the other tracks will play fine but I still can't assign CC1 modulation to Equator's own parameters. Modulation CC1 and note on/off work find in Aalto. I'm SO confused by all this. Feel like just sending the keyboard back. Have no idea wether this is software or hardware related at this point. Just too bizarre...

Might be obvious, but are you following these steps:

https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... th-cubase/

igoramos wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Tried to close the Dashboard with no luck.

Here's a new pieces to the puzzle. I re-opened Cubase and opened mini monitor there and verified that the track was getting modulation CC1, then assigned that to a parameter in Reaktor Form and it worked! BUT, the track no longer receives regular note data anymore! WTF!? the other tracks will play fine but I still can't assign CC1 modulation to Equator's own parameters. Modulation CC1 and note on/off work find in Aalto. I'm SO confused by all this. Feel like just sending the keyboard back. Have no idea wether this is software or hardware related at this point. Just too bizarre...
This sounds to me like you might have it in MPE mode but are using it with a non-MPE synth. The mono CC1 data would come in on channel 1, but note data would only be on channels 2 and up.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Might be obvious, but are you following these steps:

https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... th-cubase/
Yes, I was but I went through this again step by step and discovered something I think by doing it! Reaktor Form works when I switch the RISE to Channel Mode "Single" in Dashboard. So I guess that means that its not technically a multi-timbral instrument, which I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the hint Evil Twin!

But, the odd thing I discovered as well is that however the Dashboard is set, regardless if its open or not, it trumps the settings in Equator's MIDI Settings. I'm not sure why this is, but it appears that choosing Multi Channel Mode in Equator does not update the RISE settings. So that's confusing to me. I would think that when you are on the Equator track, it would update the RISE accordingly, but I guess not...

There's always a learning curve I guess. No way around it...

deastman wrote: This sounds to me like you might have it in MPE mode but are using it with a non-MPE synth. The mono CC1 data would come in on channel 1, but note data would only be on channels 2 and up.
I think you may be right, but though this fixes it in Cubase, it still doesn't work in Bitwig using non-MPE single channel mode...

In fact, it seems like the top half of the keys send some kind of other stray messages which change the presets and sample beginning and end in the ensemble :(

I'm just going to call customer support Monday instead of beating my head against the wall. Thanks for all the replies! Sorry to hijak the thread for a bit...

In Logic f.e. i put the track (not the synth only) to channel 1 if i want to use it with non multi channel synths.

Cinebient wrote:In Logic f.e. i put the track (not the synth only) to channel 1 if i want to use it with non multi channel synths.
Great! thanks so much for the tip. This worked. I can keep the Dashboard settings Multi and just specify channel 1 in Logic for the track and it works!

Now if I can figure out how to do the same thing in Bitwig!!

There is a teaser on their website 'The new shape of music' for a keynote taking place on Nov 1 at 8PM GMT.

Somewhat intriguing! Hope there is a new product.

Meanwhile I was happy that the Roli seems to work well with the iOS app midiflow, which I have used to convert y-axis movement midi messages to send aftertouch info to Animoog and Model 15. I did this because I was more interested in y-axis movement than pressure for getting additional control of these synths.

SteveElbows wrote:There is a teaser on their website 'The new shape of music' for a keynote taking place on Nov 1 at 8PM GMT.

Somewhat intriguing! Hope there is a new product.

Meanwhile I was happy that the Roli seems to work well with the iOS app midiflow, which I have used to convert y-axis movement midi messages to send aftertouch info to Animoog and Model 15. I did this because I was more interested in y-axis movement than pressure for getting additional control of these synths.
Same day as Korg.......mmhhhh.....ah no way...or?
:D
The Moog Model 15 app works indeed great with the Seaboard (but not over bluetooth). The app has midi learn everywhere too.

igoramos wrote:
Cinebient wrote:In Logic f.e. i put the track (not the synth only) to channel 1 if i want to use it with non multi channel synths.
Great! thanks so much for the tip. This worked. I can keep the Dashboard settings Multi and just specify channel 1 in Logic for the track and it works!

Now if I can figure out how to do the same thing in Bitwig!!
With Bitwig by default I believe it will receive on any channel (or maybe channel 1, not sure). It's built-in instruments will receive notes on separate midi channels by default, but for VSTs, you need to right-click and set it 'Force MPE mode' which will make it receive notes on alternating channels. But i fyou want to play non-MPE style, set your roli dashboard to send on a single channel, which most instruments will require. Only set the dashboard to send on channels 2 and up if using bitwig instruments or VSTs that respond to note per channel (and you have Force MPE checked).

There is also a different if you play with MPE on or off. With MPE on you have f.e. an initial value of the midi cc74 (slide) depending on where you touch the keywave.
With MPE off you have the same value wherever you touch first and just with the first move after the initial touch a different value....At least in Logic.
But here is my problem with the "black" keys.
I prefer the MPE mode but i can't make initial values of the black keys under 64 this way.
It's a bit odd if you play all the white keys with filter down and the black just starts at a value of 64 (or so).
If anyone have an idea how to workaround this...it would be much aprecciated!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”