Roland Boutique: New Jupiter 8, 106/60 and JX3P on the way?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quite a bizarre thing is happening.

With two Boutiques plugged into a 3-way power adapter I get a high pitched noise. When I plug the third Boutique in the noise completely disappears.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I'm really struggling with the JX03.

It's really quite difficult to make the JP08 and JU06 sound bad; the JX03 on the other hand is quite difficult to coax anything even average out of it. Perhaps I just need more time with it.

Mushy Mushy wrote:I'm really struggling with the JX03.

It's really quite difficult to make the JP08 and JU06 sound bad; the JX03 on the other hand is quite difficult to coax anything even average out of it. Perhaps I just need more time with it.
I was never a fan of the JX3P. Annoying little synth. Obnoxiously bright and harsh. At least that's how I remember it... I haven't played one in years.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

REally? I have a Jx3p and quite like it. Granted, having the PG-200 helps a lot, but I think its a great little synth and can sound Juno-ish or Jupitish if you want it to, the polyphonic sequencer is lots of fun for randomness as well. I dont know how well that was all translated into the JX03. I have a JP-08 and like it, but dont use it all that much.

all prices up 10% :(

nickamandote wrote:all prices up 10% :(

JRRShop discount?

deastman wrote:

I was never a fan of the JX3P. Annoying little synth. Obnoxiously bright and harsh. At least that's how I remember it... I haven't played one in years.

Must be doing something very wrong if you cant get some nice smooth and warm sounds out of this, especially pads. Its got to be one of the best synths I've used for those sounds, even nicer than the jx8p most of the time. Bright and harsh is definitely not how I would describe it. I actually prefer it to the Juno 6 for everything but bass type sounds.

grabme wrote:
deastman wrote:

Must be doing something very wrong if you cant get some nice smooth and warm sounds out of this, especially pads. Its got to be one of the best synths I've used for those sounds, even nicer than the jx8p most of the time. Bright and harsh is definitely not how I would describe it. I actually prefer it to the Juno 6 for everything but bass type sounds.
I hear this a lot. I'll spend more time with it over the weekend.

It's just nowhere near as immediate as the others.

I've started a blog about the JU-06, feel free to check it for useful information: http://ju06blog.blogspot.com

Testing the Jp08 at home, sounds great and the interface is nice. Playing with various HW units is nice, you strat to value what you really like and the ease of use.

It is a shame the boutique line fell short on various features:

1.- Size, honestly the touchstrips aren't necesary, it would have been more space for bigger knobs and sliders, and they could have made them one inch higher to accomodate bigger controls.

2.- Audio outputs

3.- MIDI CC implementation

4.- Polyphony

I can forgivethe first 3 but the fourth not, because it is a VA in the end.

If Roland release this as plug outs with full polyphony and later a System 9 capable of hosting various plug outs I am getting one. In the meanwhile: so near, so far away from being great.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Testing the Jp08 at home, sounds great and the interface is nice. Playing with various HW units is nice, you strat to value what you really like and the ease of use.

It is a shame the boutique line fell short on various features:

1.- Size, honestly the touchstrips aren't necesary, it would have been more space for bigger knobs and sliders, and they could have made them one inch higher to accomodate bigger controls.

2.- Audio outputs

3.- MIDI CC implementation

4.- Polyphony

I can forgivethe first 3 but the fourth not, because it is a VA in the end.

If Roland release this as plug outs with full polyphony and later a System 9 capable of hosting various plug outs I am getting one. In the meanwhile: so near, so far away from being great.
I agree with the polyphony issue. JP-08 would totally suggest an 8 voice architecture, just like its Jupiter "parents" were named by the number of voices they had. This should be called a JP-04. If you have seen the Youtube video of the disassembly of the boutique devices, you would see that there is a spot on the board for a second processor! I am actually considering selling mine, I am going to hold on to it for a while longer though and seeing if I end up liking it more.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”