BITWIG 1.3 Touch enabled (really!!!)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scottex wrote:
Image-Line wrote:
SLiC wrote:There is a reason why Microsoft picked Bigwig fore the Microsoft surface official launch demos- it actually works
So does FL Studio BTW. We have been working with MS for a couple of years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvqBDfEhls

Regards Scott
It can't be 'cause Bitwig has raced ahead of the game :hihi:
We're very comfortable with where FL Studio sits in the touch-space. And working hard to make it better. We have a slew of new features, on-the-way, aimed at improving touch control.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Image-Line wrote:
We're very comfortable with where FL Studio sits in the touch-space. And working hard to make it better. We have a slew of new features, on-the-way, aimed at improving touch control.

Regards Scott
Comfortable enough to not spam a Bitwig thread?
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Market share must be getting a little tight....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

OutCider wrote:
Image-Line wrote:

Regards Scott
Comfortable enough to not spam a Bitwig thread?
Shwing!

Honestly, those Bitwig vid's blew me away!
Was looking at upgrading my computer to another MSI or something, but now am reevaluating. Seriously considering Bitwig, and a Surface Pro.
Fuckin' expensive proposition, all things considered... LOL But goddamnit, that shit looks tempting.

I don't really see how Scott's post is spam... it's on-topic in an open forum where his input is welcome and it's not anonymous. "Spam" is an overused term here, it's losing it's meaning.

Try it on pizza, it will have meaning again.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Z3R0T0N1N wrote:Honestly, those Bitwig vid's blew me away!
Was looking at upgrading my computer to another MSI or something, but now am reevaluating. Seriously considering Bitwig, and a Surface Pro.
Fuckin' expensive proposition, all things considered... LOL But goddamnit, that shit looks tempting.

I don't really see how Scott's post is spam... it's on-topic in an open forum where his input is welcome and it's not anonymous. "Spam" is an overused term here, it's losing it's meaning.

Try it on pizza, it will have meaning again.
Actually, if you want to know, I saw the CDM blog - http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/10/b ... use-today/ - that surprised me a little, as we have been leading the charge on DAW touch for a few years now. So when I saw it here too, thought I would mention FL Studio is also touch enabled.

EDIT: I see Peter has added FL Studio to the post now and included one of our videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI43L1Gp9uw

I hang out here, btw, mainly as a source of info on what people are thinking and talking about, this is a tough and knowledgeable crowd that generates lots of valid 'social media commentary' on the space. And I choose to interact from time to time. We have a long history with KVR.

If I we need to 'market' something I can post on our Facebook page and get seen by 700K people. So, no, we are not trying to spam you here.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

pdxindy wrote:I prefer to have an actual music machine that is higher spec'ed than touch tablets... and then to have a touch screen device as a controller... maybe for editing VST's... that sounds cool

even the high end Surface Book, that screen is too small to be a primary screen (for me at least). Also, the Microsoft site has little info at all on the CPU's used... they do not mention speed or # of cores. Something is wonky with that. According to one site, the high end model is a Skylake dual core i7 @ 2.7ghz
The easiest way to try it out is just to use remote desktop with any tablet. Then it doesnt have to be a high-spec tablet and your still using your own pc's power. RDP recognizes when your on a touch device and it gets enabled in bitwig, so all you have to do is rdp in to your machine and you'll get the touch interface without having to shell out for a surface

Of course it only works really well when your on your own local network, but you could do it remotely as well

Image-Line wrote: Actually, if you want to know, I saw the CDM blog - http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/10/b ... use-today/ - that surprised me a little, as we have been leading the charge on DAW touch for a few years now. So when I saw it here too, thought I would mention FL Studio is also touch enabled.

EDIT: I see Peter has added FL Studio to the post now and included one of our videos...

<****>
Regards Scott
OK, that's a good vid for certain. But I already know FLS works really well w/ multitouch. I am a FLS owner and user. But you gotta watch the stuff about gesture-based editing in the BW videos. FLS has one of the most enviable MIDI editing environments, and you guys have translated it to touch really well, but Claes' demonstrations really have me in full-blown gear lust, man.
https://youtu.be/OM4bv_uwF3A
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I think touchscreen devices are rather existing for effector and recording. I can't think anyone who tries to do serious composing and micro editing with fingers. Running full featured hosts on touchscreen device just gives an advantage that you can open existing projects. So if you can use native plugins and do tracking you won't necessarily have to open full featured hosts on touch devices.

An ability to install full DAWs on any device is useful as long as we can use it with a mouse. But encouraging users to use them with fingers doesn't look useful. It's just my opinion.

tooneba wrote:I think touchscreen devices are rather existing for effector and recording. I can't think anyone who tries to do serious composing and micro editing with fingers. Running full featured hosts on touchscreen device just gives an advantage that you can open existing projects. So if you can use native plugins and do tracking you won't necessarily have to open full featured hosts on touch devices.

An ability to install full DAWs on any device is useful as long as we can use it with a mouse. But encouraging users to use them with fingers doesn't look useful. It's just my opinion.
Oh right. Let's just be close minded because no serious composer is using it. Ever since I picked up a Surface I actually prefer using the touchscreen in Cubase. It's useful for me and that's all that matters. I don't think Slate would be trying to sell all those Raven touch devices if touch wasn't useful for people. With that said, I can't wait to try this out.

trimph1 wrote:Market share must be getting a little tight....
Not with 700k likes on facebook :lol:
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Scottex wrote:
fmr wrote:
pc999 wrote:Hybrid PCs are the future!!!

http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig_1_3
I wrote that two years ago, in the middle of the iPad fever, when I predicted that tablets are a fashion that will vanish quickly (going to be replaced by "phablet" smartphones for the common tasks like e-mail and Internet, and by Hybrids for the more serious taks), and was mocked out :clown: :hihi:

I still subscribe that idea. Hybrid computers are the future.
Still prefer mouse, keyboard and i7-4790k when it comes to price...
Price is the next barrier, but do you remember where was the price of laptops five years ago when compared to desktops? Compare to current prices. In five years, after we reach enough volume productions, thiese will be much more affordable.

Anyway, I'm with you in what concerns a "real" computer. And not just for the price. Expandability and horse power too, desktops cannot be beaten.
Fernando (FMR)

Image-Line wrote: I hang out here, btw, mainly as a source of info on what people are thinking and talking about, this is a tough and knowledgeable crowd that generates lots of valid 'social media commentary' on the space. And I choose to interact from time to time. We have a long history with KVR.

If I we need to 'market' something I can post on our Facebook page and get seen by 700K people. So, no, we are not trying to spam you here.

Regards Scott

Linux anytime soon?

"Hybrid computers are the future". Well, they don't exists since yesterday, and never achieved to get a decent market share. :shrug: What i can imagine are touch devices for keyboard and mouse operation, but handling a big touch screen which is standing uprightly in front of you is quite fiddly. I don't know how the (desktop) computers or laptop in the future will look like, but i have my doubts they'll be like ahwt we call a hybrid system now, a combination of touch screen and mouse/keyboard. I'd rather think it'll be something we don't have yet. And nobody knows how that hololens stuff will work out.

pc999 wrote:
Image-Line wrote: I hang out here, btw, mainly as a source of info on what people are thinking and talking about, this is a tough and knowledgeable crowd that generates lots of valid 'social media commentary' on the space. And I choose to interact from time to time. We have a long history with KVR.

Regards Scott

Linux anytime soon?
Hah, they're in the middle of offering support for Macs, i doubt that Linux is anywhere on their radar yet... especially considering the market share of 2 or 3 % on home PC's, and the even much lower market share on audio production computers...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”