Movie music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My name is Anders. I am new to KVR but I am already old now (46 to be exact). I make music for my hobby only all though I been working in recording studios many years ago. In my profession I am an acoustic engineer so I work with sound on a Daily basis.

I am the kind of person who never finish any songs and I am also the kind of person who can't concentrate on one kind of Music style. I love all kinds of Music, both listening and making. Lately I got more interested in Movie Music and I found that there are many kinds of plugins and other samples suitable.

Yesterday when looking thru the KVR plugin section I found Photosynthesis 1 for Kontakt and I also found a cello from Blakus. The Blakus cello is free and it is also Amazing. I made this short Music clip and I am interested to get comments. Besides from Blakus and Photosynthesis I used Zebra 2 and FPC drums.

I don't know where to take this track and if it should continue in Minor or change to Major. I just hope I can get inspiration to make more than 8 bars of Music (as usual). Anyway, it would be useful to get comments. I am still Learning and it is a Life long process :phones:

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ll_AT4Eeq8

Thanks!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

If you can't decide whether to continue in a Major or Minor, try them both. At the end of the day, it's your call anyway. I think this could be developed either way. I would think that using a Major would be more likely to provide a more uplifting or optimistic vibe, which may well be better used towards the end of the piece.

As for what you already have, I liked the melody and the sounds that you have used. It's a great start. Push yourself to finish this piece, and when it is complete, you will probably find the way you work on any future musical projects will change to accomodate the experience gained here. The process should become easier and more intuitive with repetition and adaptation.

Good work :)

Welcome to KVR. 8)
Your first 8 work well. Not going to surmise to tell you where to go now, but can share what Roger Waters from Pink Floyd said in an interview with Howard Stern (YouTube);
- paraphrasing - "...ideas can come to you in different ways.You can just be fiddling around and find a good riff or idea. It`s what you do after that which is really hard.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Many thanks guys for your kind words. Yeah I appreciate advice because I never tried this style of music before but I just love to listen to a good movie score. The professionals working with movie music often manage to capture the feeling and merge the picture and music into one. That's something I admire.

@ Seismic, I will try what you said and proceed with major and see where it takes me. And I am pushing myself. Funny thing how inspiration always shows up when you are in the bus, train or on the toilet :p, but once I sit down to create its hard to be inspired.

@anode, Your point is so true. I have tons of 8-bar things eating up my space on the hard drive. It is very hard to make a whole song.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

The thing is, you`ll find,you can`t depend on inspiration. The pros don`t. They`ll say, yes, it`s great when you can get it, but it`s sitting down to work and staying there that gets you some product...and you`ll find it will come.
I`m as lazy as they come and it shows when you see what little i`ve saved...so I get what your saying. The truth is, it`s work, and you have to love it and do it.

Check this out. Looking for something I saw dealing with soundtracks I ran across this; 50mins
"Trent Reznor, Hans Zimmer & Danny Elfman Talk Music : The Full Composer Roundtable"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAF9_ZHjfc
Going to watch it now. Bye bye. :tu:
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Interesting documentary. Its fun to hear how they approach the music composing because obviously its work. I guess for me as amateur the problem is that I don't have a dead line and there is no one to push me to finish stuff. Thanks for sharing this clip. Well worth watching :tu:

I just hope I can get inspiration to make more than 8 bars of Music (as usual).
I hear some promise in your track. There is a certain self restraint in it that works well. Percussion is a bit too heavy to my taste.

If you're stack, here's a tip that can help you move on. Analyze a few tracks you admire in detail: orchestration, rhythm, lengths, sections, modulation, harmony, relations between different parts, etc. (although analyzing melody is hard and probably pointless). Then think what the composer of the other track could do at the point you're stuck.

FLWrd wrote:
I just hope I can get inspiration to make more than 8 bars of Music (as usual).
I hear some promise in your track. There is a certain self restraint in it that works well. Percussion is a bit too heavy to my taste.

If you're stack, here's a tip that can help you move on. Analyze a few tracks you admire in detail: orchestration, rhythm, lengths, sections, modulation, harmony, relations between different parts, etc. (although analyzing melody is hard and probably pointless). Then think what the composer of the other track could do at the point you're stuck.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. For sure it's a good idea to listen to other tracks. I will give it a try :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”