VolumeShaper 4.1 out now! - Tweaked UI and editing features

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VolumeShaper

We are very happy to announce VolumeShaper 4.1!

It's a pretty big update and of course, it will be free for owners of VolumeShaper 4. It's all about UI and workflow:

- We've added a new drawing tool which allows to quickly add steps in the waveform (which is especially useful if you use VolumeShaper for trance-gate-like effects).
- It's now possible to resize the waveform area.
- We've added a running light which shows the position within the audio nicely.
- Waveform points are more clearly visible and buttons are bigger and more responsive.

Check this video for an overview of all new changes and for some hints on our wave editing (including the very handy selection of multiple waveform points):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngLYAVPvbQ
I am sorry for the background noise in the video.. it was just a rough take, for a good overview on the beta for you.

Before release, we need your help. We've thoroughly tested VolumeShaper 4.1, but still we'd appreciate if you took a look too if there's anything not working on your system. Plus we'd be very interested in your feedback on the new features, if they work the way you'd like them to work. Feature-requests for future updates are also welcome.

Update: VolumeShaper 4.1 is out now - thank you for everyone who provided feedback!
Download the latest version from our website: http://www.cableguys.com

Thanks again!
Last edited by Jakob / Cableguys on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

looks pretty cool so far although i can't/won't work with the new version unless the full version gets updated as well - hope you understand that! otherwise keep going - maybe you could make the running light a little more obvious (with a little "light bulb" at the beginning e.g.) so that you can see it better at first sight

Nice. :) Look like some really useful improvements.

Jakob , a few Q's

if you have the full version this beta won't overwrite it ? Is it seen as a separate plugin .
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote:if you have the full version this beta won't overwrite it ? Is it seen as a separate plugin .
On Windows, you can install the beta parallel to the 4.0.x full version (just use another folder or a subfolder for the beta). On Mac, it'll overwrite the full version though.

I really have to point out how ineffective the placement of the Randomise Points function is. I have no clue why you moved it from the GUI to the right-click menu in Midishaper in the last update, it's not like that it gained anything.

The actual chance that you will get something u like on the first click when using the randomis function is more less zero. By having a function like that on a right-click menu you just have added one more click and the actual extra movement of selecting the Randomis function in the menu. This is highly ineffective and annoying.

You have space on the GUI's of you plugins, please consider using that space wisely.

Best Regards

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:if you have the full version this beta won't overwrite it ? Is it seen as a separate plugin .
On Windows, you can install the beta parallel to the 4.0.x full version (just use another folder or a subfolder for the beta). On Mac, it'll overwrite the full version though.
Didn't quite work that way Jakob... i installed the Windows beta to another folder, both base folder, and in the VST plugins folder, and it only showed the beta (i think) then in Cubase. It also didn't show the final version 4 in the uninstall dialog of Windows anymore either. So, basically, what i did now is uninstall both versions (don't want a mess), and now i will only install the beta.

It's an awesome plugin Jakob, and I use it on every track now.
Really like the improvements, especially the resizeable waveform and spectrum windows.
The running light will be really handy too, as will that new gate tool.
Cableguys make some of my favourite plugins. Very cool VSTs, and indispensable once tried

Kr3eM wrote:I really have to point out how ineffective the placement of the Randomise Points function is. I have no clue why you moved it from the GUI to the right-click menu in Midishaper in the last update, it's not like that it gained anything.

The actual chance that you will get something u like on the first click when using the randomis function is more less zero. By having a function like that on a right-click menu you just have added one more click and the actual extra movement of selecting the Randomis function in the menu. This is highly ineffective and annoying.

You have space on the GUI's of you plugins, please consider using that space wisely.

Best Regards
Thank you for your feedback. We removed quite some buttons (including the randomize button) and added their functionality to the wave menu (which you get when right-clicking on the waveform area) as we learned from user testing that for most users, its better to have a streamlined, less crowded interface.

I agree with you that having buttons for all options is much faster, but for many users it just gets too crowded.

2NDMOUSE wrote:It's an awesome plugin Jakob, and I use it on every track now.
Really like the improvements, especially the resizeable waveform and spectrum windows.
The running light will be really handy too, as will that new gate tool.
Cableguys make some of my favourite plugins. Very cool VSTs, and indispensable once tried
I am glad to hear that you like the changes!

I love this plug too! V4 is very powerfull with the 3 bands frequencies...and this 4.1 seems even better!
Sometimes I feel the need of a waveform zoom for super accurate wave sculpting...
:tu:

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: I agree with you that having buttons for all options is much faster, but for many users it just gets too crowded.
I'm sorry but I can let that slide with an argument like that. There's a such thing as functionality. A true streamlined interface means less steps/actions than necessary to access any function. The structure then takes into account how the functions are used and how often. There is an actual reality of functionality, and that is not a matter of opinion. That some users may think a plugin has to many functions visible and looks crowded should not override that.

So do I understand that the changes for moving the fuctions from the GUI in Midishaper was due to complaints from users? then if so, how many complaints does it take? and is a reason like "I think it looks to crowded" enuff to make u sacrifice functionality. I usualy never bother with giving feedback to devs because in general they do tend to have their pride and have already made up their mind, no matter if what.

If you want to make your plugins with the"looks" as the main priority thats your choice. Personally I rather have plugins which first of all cares about ease of use and functionality, mainly because I work with them. Looks is secondary, but they are not mutal exclusive and can be combined.

And to be slightly rude I have to ask what kind of disability the users complaining about your GUI being to crowded has. They must have total panic with other plugins like U-he Bazille just to take an extreme example, and how do they feel about their host/DAW? I mean talking about a crowded interface. It's crowed for a reason, and a very good reason if your main reason for having it is to create music. Your plugins more or less look like a half empty house so to speak.

I guess I will end this with sending my respect to Sonic Charge that instead of loosing their face in public solved their issue with having their random functions in a tab menu with a addon hack. Even though they have a repeat last action with a shift+mouse click they understood the nature of a random function and how it's actually are being used in reality.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:.... as we learned from user testing that for most users, its better to have a streamlined, less crowded interface.
...if my previosly rant post is too much, just explain why this is better? And I mean why it IS better, not looking better.

Kr3eM wrote:
Jakob / Cableguys wrote:.... as we learned from user testing that for most users, its better to have a streamlined, less crowded interface.
...if my previosly rant post is too much, just explain why this is better? And I mean why it IS better, not looking better.
No problem, this thread is for feedback. Well we can't always make all users happy of course, but we try the best we can. So I'd be curious to know what others think? Would you prefer a visible random button over having it as option in the right-click menu only?

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Kr3eM wrote:
No problem, this thread is for feedback. Well we can't always make all users happy of course, but we try the best we can. So I'd be curious to know what others think? Would you prefer a visible random button over having it as option in the right-click menu only?
well, one (small) button more or less (in the row with the gate/undo/redo controls for instance) would neither disturb the workflow nor bother the majority of the users imo (and i'm saying this although i really don't care for this random-control-thing at all in general)

Return to “Effects”