Unfiltered Audio G8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm so confused, and have no idea how to report this :cry:

There seems to be no reproducible way of doing the problem I'm having (might be similar to Kurdish)

The closest I've come is with a project song that is FL's, to try and add G8 and then change the presets.

Again, I wish they had some kinda reporting then it would be something you could figure out pretty simply. :?

incubus wrote:I'm so confused, and have no idea how to report this :cry:

There seems to be no reproducible way of doing the problem I'm having (might be similar to Kurdish)

The closest I've come is with a project song that is FL's, to try and add G8 and then change the presets.

Again, I wish they had some kinda reporting then it would be something you could figure out pretty simply. :?
Agreed! On Mac, the crash logs that appear all the time are very useful for us. The video that was just sent in regarding the G8 noise was useful for us (it might not be G8, but it's too early to tell).

Is it crashing randomly only when changing presets, or is it crashing otherwise?

Changing presets mostly.

If it's my "own" template, the only time I run into trouble (and this is not you at all) is if I start mucking about with the record button on :lol: (clearly, that is a FL issue and it's kinda strange that it records preset data as automation/etc)

But again, tested it on their included "songs" and my first sentence seemed to apply (no record button)

Hopefully, we'll get you on the right track. Glad someone is smart enough to do the video :party:

Is there any way to utilise the "Reject Output" in Cubase 6.5???
The only workaround I've found is to duplicate the desired track, then use the "Flip" switch on the new instance to get the rejected audio... which is unnecessarily adding to the CPU load.
any ideas? apart from 'update Cubase' (unless it's accompanied by a "here's $300 for the upgrade my friend")...??
cheers
Simon

sqigls wrote:Is there any way to utilise the "Reject Output" in Cubase 6.5???
The only workaround I've found is to duplicate the desired track, then use the "Flip" switch on the new instance to get the rejected audio... which is unnecessarily adding to the CPU load.
any ideas? apart from 'update Cubase' (unless it's accompanied by a "here's $300 for the upgrade my friend")...??
cheers
Simon
Hey Simon! Sorry that I didn't get a chance to respond to your PM yesterday. Josh and I get back to full-time tomorrow after the holiday.

Josh has a Cubase license, but Steinberg told me to use a Trial license. That has since expired, so I can't verify that this tutorial works. I am in no way a Cubase expert...

I found this article on setting up Kontakt's auxiliary outputs:
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... -in-Cubase

Essentially, the "Creating Instrument Output Channels for KONTAKT in Cubase" section should give you what you need. I also found a similar, more generic workflow here: https://ask.audio/articles/setting-up-m ... -in-cubase

Let me know if neither of those work. I can contact the QA team and see what their setup was.

Thank you very much, but it doesn't matter if I load an instrument in the Instrument Rack or in an Instrument Channel. The G8 reject channel is not reported nor accessible anywhere. I think this article is unrelated anyway. If an instrument has a stereo output, there's nothing to activate. I doubt that by simply adding G8 to the effect chain will somehow add an output to the instrument. And an instrument track is only permitted to be stereo anyway i think.

It's SO easy with Ableton Live, but even though I'm a fairly experienced Cubase user, I haven't discovered the location of an input list or something that will allow me to accept the reject channel audio stream as an audio channel or group channel input.

The most information I've found is none :P

http://g8-gate.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... tml#cubase

G8 is great.

Such a versatile plugin...
The gate modes... external sidechaining... the "reject" output...
... give me so much possibilities for sound mangling.
Thank you.

Reading a bit about the benefits of VST3 concerning accuracy of parameter automation I took a look at the VST3 version of G8.
In Plogue Bidule x64 it works as expected but I have strange issues within Reaper x64 and Bitwig x64 (all DAWs mentioned are up-to-date)...
The waveform display of the plugin shows a steady input at its highest level although the incoming audio is much quieter and has distinct transients. Working with the two stereo outputs is not possible neither in Reaper nor in Bitwig and I've already dealt with multichannel output plugs successfully in both hosts.
Are these the typical quirks of VST3?
I read something about an G8 update to version 1.5... Will this deal with multichannel VST3 issues?
And... I know you guys did a lot of great but time consuming work in the past months... when can it be expected?

Again great thanks for your work. Excellent tools, so innovative and inspiring.
Although your plugins are rather heavy cpu-wise on my oldish machine I always try to find workarounds so I can use them in my projects.

Cheers,
tl.

We received word from Plugin Alliance yesterday about a licenser bug that we will need to fix before Mac High Sierra is released. So... at least we have a deadline!

The current version of G8 was compiled with one of the first versions of JUCE to support VST3, so I think that's what is causing a lot of the bad VST3 behavior.

We will compile G8 1.5 with our latest version of JUCE (we're not on 5.0, but our version has the VST3 and multi-channel fixes), along with all of our internal optimizations. There will be a few major side effects, though:
1) We will have to drop support for Snow Leopard and Windows XP.
2) Due to the way that channel layouts are handled, G8 1.5 will likely be a separate binary from the current version of G8. That way, you will still be able to open old projects without issue.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I can confirm as of Feb 2019, VST3 external sidechain from MIDI in Reaper x64 on Windows 10 x64 simply does not work. I downloaded the demo from my Plugin Alliance account last night since I'm searching for a reliable gate that triggers from external sent MIDI. The installed version shows as 1.3.0 in both VST2 and VST3 instances.

I setup VST2 and VST3 similarly and VST2 triggers reliably from external sent MIDI signals allowing me to adjust all parameters as expected. Works a charm really on kicks, snares, and toms.

VST3 seems to be ignoring the external sent MIDI and doesn't gate anything at all.

I'd also like to know how to make G8 -NOT- send any MIDI Output. Right now I insert a MIDI Filter plugin after G8 to filter out the MIDI Output note.

While neither of these questions is the end of the world since the G8 VST2 does trigger reliably from MIDI, it's irritating to not be able to use the VST3 for this and to have to filter the MIDI Output.

Ideas ?

tl wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:19 pm G8 is great.

Such a versatile plugin...
The gate modes... external sidechaining... the "reject" output...
... give me so much possibilities for sound mangling.
Thank you.

Reading a bit about the benefits of VST3 concerning accuracy of parameter automation I took a look at the VST3 version of G8.
In Plogue Bidule x64 it works as expected but I have strange issues within Reaper x64 and Bitwig x64 (all DAWs mentioned are up-to-date)...
The waveform display of the plugin shows a steady input at its highest level although the incoming audio is much quieter and has distinct transients. Working with the two stereo outputs is not possible neither in Reaper nor in Bitwig and I've already dealt with multichannel output plugs successfully in both hosts.
Are these the typical quirks of VST3?
I read something about an G8 update to version 1.5... Will this deal with multichannel VST3 issues?
And... I know you guys did a lot of great but time consuming work in the past months... when can it be expected?

Again great thanks for your work. Excellent tools, so innovative and inspiring.
Although your plugins are rather heavy cpu-wise on my oldish machine I always try to find workarounds so I can use them in my projects.

Cheers,
tl.

Rusty Falcon wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm I can confirm as of Feb 2019, VST3 external sidechain from MIDI in Reaper x64 on Windows 10 x64 simply does not work. I downloaded the demo from my Plugin Alliance account last night since I'm searching for a reliable gate that triggers from external sent MIDI. The installed version shows as 1.3.0 in both VST2 and VST3 instances.

I setup VST2 and VST3 similarly and VST2 triggers reliably from external sent MIDI signals allowing me to adjust all parameters as expected. Works a charm really on kicks, snares, and toms.

VST3 seems to be ignoring the external sent MIDI and doesn't gate anything at all.

I'd also like to know how to make G8 -NOT- send any MIDI Output. Right now I insert a MIDI Filter plugin after G8 to filter out the MIDI Output note.

While neither of these questions is the end of the world since the G8 VST2 does trigger reliably from MIDI, it's irritating to not be able to use the VST3 for this and to have to filter the MIDI Output.

Ideas ?
Have you sent a support request to Plugin Alliance?

No but I will! :)

So.... here's an interesting question.... when using G8 triggered by external MIDI, G8 seems to read the length of the MIDI note - and then ADDS the Hold and Release times dialed in. So rather than just 'an event' it seems to use 'the length' of the event. This makes it very difficult to use G8 to gate tracks based on external MIDI - example external drum MIDI tracks to used to trigger G8 to gate out bleed in drum close mics. I had to edit the length of the external MIDI notes down to 0.0.1 so they were just 'events' and could then use the Hold and Release.

Is this the intended behavior of G8 when triggered from external MIDI ?

Has anyone heard if the modulation system is going to be incorporated into g8 eventually? It’s extremely awesome in Zip.

Return to “Effects”