the monotony of staying alive (new instrumental by dysamoria)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a new piece of my music for you to listen to, done in the last two days...

https://soundcloud.com/dysamoria/the-mo ... 10-18-2015
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Nice buildup. Personally I think the synth at 2:20 doesn't seem to fit in the track. I don't really have anything more to say about it, except that it's a nice lingering track.

It sounds like you recorded a lot of layers without a clear plan in mind. I like the quiet part after the big buildup the best. I think there are some good parts here but it doesn't seem like a coherent, planned out piece.

@Complex Reality: is it the EQ of that sound, the pacing, notes, or something else that makes it not fit? It's meant to reinforce the more subtle melodic shimmering bit buried deeper in the ambient sounds.

@Frantz: Yeah, it was intended as an ambient experiment, then changed during assembly as I added sounds. Then I chipped away at a solid block of looping content to create a structure. I didn't have a clear plan for it, but then I rarely ever do.

Thanks to you both for the listen and feedback :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I liked it. It was very cinematic/dramatic with a killer riff. I didn't mind the synth at 2:20. It was only in the foreground for 20 seconds or so until the heavier sounds took over. I think you could have taken the buildup further by using a heavy drum sound, or maybe some of those '80s gated drums with a deep electric bass to drive the piece along for a minute or so before falling back to a 30-second fade-out.

Good work :)

I find it a compelling whole compositionally, I disagree completely with 'not coherent'. I think maybe the one synth, which seems to reappear or similar, may seem too clean or reedy or something against the other dirty or lo-fi <thickness>. I doubt I would have noticed it unprompted. Where the waveform is biggest is pretty noticably lo-fi but it kind of suits the material I think.

@seismic1: I actually wanted to do something like that, but I've realized that I'm making a lot of songs with a similar structure, and it would be rather repetitious in an album. My ultimate goal with my pile of work in progress tracks is an album or two.

@jancivil: I think I agree with the too-clean diagnostic on the plucky sound around the 2 minute mark. I'll try some amp/speaker sim on that next time I'm working on music.

If I had a larger screen and more powerful CPU, I think one task I'd try is running sub mixes of whole songs through more sonic destruction (some subtle and some not) to find new textures to mix into the songs. I get kind of lazy near the end of a project session because I'm struggling with small workspace and a Core 2 Duo CPU on a 13" laptop. After five to eight hours, I just want to be done and eat a meal or watch Netflix, hah hah.

(recreating a Sonar project in Logic recently required three instances of Reaktor to recreate Windows-only freeware string modeling VSTi sounds, and it maxed my CPU for a four track 1.5 minute song).

Thanks for the listens and the feedback. Much appreciated! :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:@Complex Reality: is it the EQ of that sound, the pacing, notes, or something else that makes it not fit?
For me it seems to be a bit too 'clean' compared to the other sounds. The pacing and notes are no problem. Some eq could help to blend it more into the mix, for example by lowering the high end a bit. But there are many possibilities to let it blend in more with the darker sounds. Some light distortion maybe.

Cool, thanks!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

my thought is the other direction, excite upper-mids, center = 1k, 1.5k.

jancivil wrote:my thought is the other direction, excite upper-mids, center = 1k, 1.5k.
For everything but the sound in question, or just for that sound?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

just that sound. a contrast to the sort of brown sound, something that would cut (the other comment being to mitigate the high end and blend more).

Cool, thanks :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Cafe”