Which $50 compressor is as good as slate, hofa, fabfilter etc

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote:
TheoM wrote:
ariston wrote: @heartfeltdawn, 3 did so far one didn't, so i guess it depends on the source.
it's when you are dealing with quite varying dynamics that it seems to click, noticeable on stringed instruments especially. It adds clicks that were never there, i would never make something like that up.
The Jr version is definitely a bit clicky when pushed so that you see the meters moving.

Anyhow, the thing is, there is A LOT of compression/limiting happening in MJUC already way before the gain reduction metering moves. I usually use it like a lot of hardware.. you barely move the needle.

The clickyness in some of the modes/models can be a real boon for "weak" sources that need additional punch but to be fair, I usually have more problems with the exact opposite. People tend to mix stuff very clicky.. usually due to bad ADSR envelopes on a lot of soft synths that just naturally become overly clicky/ticky. So yeah, having some process that can smooth out that is very important and MJUC is not for these cases (except perhaps in mode 3 with the punch lever set to 0).

I actually use MJUC more as a "tone box" than anything else. Very rarely do I use it for actual compression duties, for controlling dynamic range.. except when it comes to vocals. It's awesome to hit pop vocals with 10dB of gain reduction. Works very well. But for most other things I usually stick with Pro-C 2.

Pro tip: if you guys need to get rid of small annoying "clicky" transients in sources, use a limiter that allows you to set the look-ahead/transient "hold" time. Pro-L in either Punchy (ironically) or Allround mode with maximum look a head can be very effective for a few dB of clicky reduction. Another extremely effective limiter for these duties is Voxengo Elephant.

A soft saturator is another option that can work but it'll sometimes create too much harmonic distortion (and potentially aliasing) at these transients which in turn can irritate in another way, making them still sound pointy and nasty even though you basically got rid of their peak.
Yeah, Elephant or DMG Compassion comes to the rescue when I am up against clickyness and its all about the lookahead/hold/smoothing there.

The one thing I still haven't been able to find a good fix for (bar tedious volume or EQ automation) is random spiky resonant sound fx with needle sharp resonances between 2 to 7 khz. Really glassy narrow shit that dances around the spectrum whilst avoiding nearly all compressor's detectors and only shows up on an FFT analyser at very hi res settings and no smoothing. That stuff is painful on the ears and a complete b***h to correct. I am always asking for people to iron this stuff out and to send back a revision. It's a tough job to correct in mixing and an impossible one in mastering.

Soft clipping can sometimes help, but as you say, the distortion added in the cure is often worse than the disease. These glassy tones are often pure even if they are overbearing, making any distortion easily audible and hence not an acceptable compromise.

The one thing I haven't tried for this problem yet is the plugin alliance deharsh plug in bx_refinement. Maybe need to demo that one :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

TheoM wrote:
ckam03 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
TheoM wrote:..all been raving about for months..
I do wonder if these plugins would get the same attention if they were priced quite a bit higher. I've tried all the freebies but none of them make me want to investigate further unfortunately. Both free comps seemed unable to really 'control' anything I tried them on and IVGI just sounds like a run of the mill distortion plugin - even at very low levels of saturation it just sounds harsh to me. It worked quite nicely as an exciter for synths though.

Suggestions from me would be Sinusweb's Peak Compressor - $25 and really very good indeed at transparent compression.

http://www.sinusweb.de/peak.html
Honestly MJUC is amazing. I tried MJUC jr but couldn't get anything out of it so I picked up MJUC and haven't regretted it. I picked up the bx_opto right before MJUC and actually sold the Opto recently because I never use it anymore. It's quite good and I'm not a fanboy.

Hence the need for a demo or refund policy. You love mjuc yet agree you couldn't get results with the stripped down "demo" freebie. But how can someone really know? I mean shouldn't we be able to give a judgement based on the freebie? That's what it's there for...
Well, I just quickly tried MJUC jr. and it seemed to work okay (of course it is BY FAR not as flexible as the full Version though) but that might have been what I would call coincidence.

I honestly have no idea how on earth MJUC [edit: MJUC jr *doh*] is supposed to properly function or what Tony had in mind (was thinking) when he developed it.
MJUC is very non-linear and therefor much dependent on adequate input levels. For this reason MJUC Features both good working input metering and an input calibration control.
The first thing you need to do when using it on anything is to switch the metering to input and (typically) adjust the calibration so that it peaks at roughly 0dB (maybe a little more if you want to drive it hotter).
If the program material constantly peaks at (say) +10dB, then MJUC won't function properly and potentially sound über-crap.

I didn't really test it, but since MJUC JR is based on the same algorithm(s), I would expect it to be just as level dependent - however it has neither the input-metering nor the Input calibration, which to me suggests it might - depending on the nature and level of your program material - sound gorgeous or totally nasty.
Last edited by jens on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

djscorb wrote: The one thing I still haven't been able to find a good fix for (bar tedious volume or EQ automation) is random spiky resonant sound fx with needle sharp resonances between 2 to 7 khz. Really glassy narrow shit that dances around the spectrum whilst avoiding nearly all compressor's detectors and only shows up on an FFT analyser at very hi res settings and no smoothing. That stuff is painful on the ears and a complete b***h to correct. I am always asking for people to iron this stuff out and to send back a revision. It's a tough job to correct in mixing and an impossible one in mastering.
Have you tried dynamic eq for such a thing? Pinpointing the frequencies where the spikes crop up, and setting a tight-bandwidth cut that only kicks in if the frequency gets to a certain level?

andrelafosse wrote:
djscorb wrote: The one thing I still haven't been able to find a good fix for (bar tedious volume or EQ automation) is random spiky resonant sound fx with needle sharp resonances between 2 to 7 khz. Really glassy narrow shit that dances around the spectrum whilst avoiding nearly all compressor's detectors and only shows up on an FFT analyser at very hi res settings and no smoothing. That stuff is painful on the ears and a complete b***h to correct. I am always asking for people to iron this stuff out and to send back a revision. It's a tough job to correct in mixing and an impossible one in mastering.
Have you tried dynamic eq for such a thing? Pinpointing the frequencies where the spikes crop up, and setting a tight-bandwidth cut that only kicks in if the frequency gets to a certain level?
That was my thought as well. Nova is a new dynamic EQ from TDR, and it's free. It's fantastic!

about the smoothing the transients, the limiter is a bit similar to using a linear phase eq to me, it smooth the transient but don't really enhance it by rounding nicely wihtout loosing punch (this i m not sure it's possible with the plugins i used , it need a sort of dynamic behavior so the punch can be enhanced while the transients is rounded and more musical) i would first look at something that would offer more control like sdrr or mjuc if it's transparent enought to work on the source, this may work better ?
i often use sdrr to craft transients/ more hardwarish transient on single source and it work nicely to me but i havent used it yet on more complex material like a full mix

it only 49 $ at this moment
http://www.waves.com/plugins/renaissance-compressor
You can have it for 19 $ with the CM30 coupon.

Infinity is free /donation and had some love when it was first announced,
inspired by Thermionic Culture
No 64bit yet though

http://www.stabrecordings.com/infinity_ ... ressor_vst
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”