Waves released Greg Wells VoiceCentric

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Get quick access to the signature vocal sound of Greg Wells, producer, songwriter and mixing engineer for Adele, Katy Perry and OneRepublic.

It’s been said that the human voice is the most powerful instrument ever made. Most music genres are dominated by the vocal. Producers and engineers devote countless hours in the studio trying to get the perfect vocal sound that sits naturally in the mix.

Now imagine if you could get that vocal sound in seconds.

The Greg Wells VoiceCentric plugin is the first in a line of Greg Wells Signature Series plugins, created in collaboration with multiple GRAMMY®-nominated producer, songwriter, musician and mixing engineer Greg Wells (Adele, Katy Perry, OneRepublic, Mika, Twenty One Pilots), who has songs on over 85 million units sold.

Greg Wells VoiceCentric is a user-friendly plugin featuring one main control and three additional controls for Wells’ customized Delay, Doubler and Reverb settings. Designed for those looking for an A-level mixed vocal sound, this plugin gives you instant access to Greg Wells’ signature sound – a world-class solution for vocal processing.
http://www.waves.com/plugins/greg-wells-voicecentric

Yes, another C1 or something wrapped in another GUI.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

This would have to be the BEST effect plugin I have discovered all year! :o
Ive just finished using it to mix this dance pop song Ive been working on. Ive been trying to get the vocals to sound 'radio ready' for over 2 weeks with various tube compressors, a multitude of bus combinations and after using this I got it within seconds! I kid you not.

It positions the vocal in exactly the right space - upper middle and pushes everything inwards yet still manages to retain the full spectrum and quality of the voice. Just need to EQ out the bass. Very little automation is required the more you increase the intensity knob and it cuts through so you dont have to spend too much time carving the guts out of everything else in the mix.

You get the space with the delay.The doubler button seems to add either harmonics or a stereo field. The only problem is the delay seems a bit long (depending on what you're after) one side sounds 1/4, the other 1/8 which is normal but for some reason it still seems to be a bit longer. I guess its not tempo synced. Either way, still a great plugin for pop vocals.
Tried it on a female voice with a relatively thin nasal tone but would have no problems on a male or raspy voice too. Ill post the track soon if I get around to it.

can you post an "before and after" processing ?

Before:
https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe/illusion-20_2

After:
https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe/illusion-new

Yes, the 2nd has a better arrangement and a different drop but you can clearly hear how the vocal in the 1st is squashed down and flat and has no energy (this is processed with 4 different bus chains).

The 2nd on the other hand is focused and up front - one instance of voice centric and an eq to roll off bass, thats it. Just needs automation in the quiet spots to cut some of dat delay. No EQ to highs/mids. BVs - same.

yeah the vox on the 2nd mix is really better.

Thanks for the sound examples! Yeah, they surely sound different, though I have to admit that I couldn't say which one I like better - both have their pros and cons somehow (no offense, Kinh ;) )

BasariStudios wrote:Yes, another C1 or something wrapped in another GUI.
Well, in re-wrapping things Waves is really good at. But in this case the signal path inside the plugin is much more complex, although the interface is simple.
Its Eq-Deesser-Fastcompression-Slowcompression and then the effects section delay, doubler and reverb. And thats not all because the intencity adjustement is dynamic: different settings of the intensity knob launches different modellings, not just different amount of one emulation (e.g. harmonic saturation turns on only in the high settings), there are also used several compressor emulations.

Greg has done great job, sounds good to me. Of course e.g. the delay setting and reverb type are fixed, but you don't have to use these, turn these off and use delay and reverb of your own choise.

What is typical to Waves, with this plugin they have launched a new serie called "Centric", we will see the plugins of this serie dedicated to guitars and drums, too. This "Ford-type" making the products is not always the most elegant way to me, but this is matter of taste of course.

Harry_HH wrote:This "Ford-type" making the products is not always the most elegant way to me, but this is matter of taste of course.
Same here...i wanna be able to open the thing inside and out and see what everything is doing,
not just one Knob to move around...its kinda boring.

Have you checked it for example with VSTPluginAnalizer before posting?

krandr wrote:
Have you checked it for example with VSTPluginAnalizer before posting?
No need when it comes to Waves plugins... :D

BasariStudios wrote:
No need when it comes to Waves plugins... :D
No disrespect, but you haven't got a clue
Say NO to CLAP!

Yeah it really, really, really isn't a C1. Put them side by side STARK difference.

In fact, compare again some of the other signature plugins or anything you think it might be like, also a STARK difference.

This thing is like a plugin chain an and works amazingly well. Seen a few YouTube vids by different people, I'm impressed.

Apparently the effects all kick in at different intensities so the big knob acts like a macro control.

Yeah it's true, you can't get inside and make changes... But why??? What this does, it does it extremely well. If you need more control then you go for your other plugins, Waves still makes them after all too.

Besides there are so many devices out there with minimal controls, like the LA-2A, it's missing attack, release, threshold, knee controls.

The DBX has no attack, release or knee. How about the 1176.

We could talk eq, look at the Pultec it's just a 2 band eq, you can't even set the width of the lower band from memory. The Motown eq or API 560 doesn't have q controls, the bands are also fixed.

How about new stuff. Look at the Maag EQ2 or EQ4. What about guitarists, they use stomps with minimal contols. No one seems to think twice about that. The quality is certainly there.

So heaps and heaps of tech out there have a limited number of controls, and most of it sounds anything form great to exceptional.

I think it's time we viewed minimal controls differently. It's about a fast workflow and simplifying processes. Need more control add an eq and/or a compressor into the chain, or create your own chain, but you'll spend quite a bit longer getting the desired effect.

Just things to consider.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on Sonar X3e (Build 352). You can tweak and tweak the fancy shiny knobs but nothing happens.
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

Is Sonar supported, I can't remember??

Return to “Effects”