Arturia Synth Collection vs. Diva Tal U-NO etc.? sound, gui etc.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: Oh, but jump, does that even qualify as a "patch", seems somewhat elevated to call it that?
Well... It was much more than a patch... basically, an entire song was made out of it :hihi: Sometimes, it's all that's needed... just a plain and boring pair of screaming saws :)

And to prove that Arturia synths don't really sound all the same, I think that would be the best example.
Last edited by fmr on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:However, the main innovation of DIVA (and the biggest reason I was so enthusiastic about it since the first moment) is the mix'n match feature.
The Diva filters are for me the main feature innovation. Start pushing those gorgeous filters in Diva and beautiful unexpected goodness flows out of them. :love: :love: :love:

U-he raised the bar on filter design.

pdxindy wrote:
fmr wrote:However, the main innovation of DIVA (and the biggest reason I was so enthusiastic about it since the first moment) is the mix'n match feature.
The Diva filters are for me the main feature innovation. Start pushing those gorgeous filters in Diva and beautiful unexpected goodness flows out of them. :love: :love: :love:

Not only that but the fact that they are enhanced by filter fm and all the other goodies in Diva that the originals don't have (polyphonic expression and support for MPE for example).

pdxindy wrote:

This seems to be something that some people just fundamentally don't seem to be able to discern. I hypothesize that people have become accustomed to the sound of bad digital filters and that is considered the norm.

The synths sound fine. I like them all. Problem is, with the exception of the Oberheims, the GUIs are a nightmare. As a programmer who doesn't use presets, they're unusable. For that reason, I'm sorry I ever got the collection. It was during a time when I didn't download demos. I've since learned my lesson and will never buy another synth with a small GUI. Because of this, I have passed up on a lot of great sounding synths, most recently Vertigo.

If you can't make a GUI that I can see without going blind, I want no part of you.

Otherwise, the V collection, sound wise, is great.

I got good money for my V3 Collection last year... :D
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Btw. a scalable GUI is announced for v5 ;-)

^For Real? Where? When?

There is no release date but the info was from the Arturia guys. So we can expect some new and better readable GUIs.

From this thread about resizable GUIs for V4 (Link)
Kevin [Arturia] wrote:Hi all.
This is one of the topics we want to work on this year.
It will take some time to come though.

Kevin

I've used demos of most of the Arturia emulations, and I own Diva. I think Diva sounds better, and more convincing as an analogue emulation than any single Arturia synth. Also, I think the new Roland JP 08 is sooooo much closer to the Jupiter 8 than Arturias. Re: the JP08 and the original - I could only tell a slight difference through direct ab comparison. If it was a blind test I don't think I'd be able to tell which was the original.

I find the Arturias have a common "sound". That is quite flat and texture less. Just not convincing as a real synth. Like an animation vs real cinematography.

However, at $199 usd, the v collection is a fantastic deal for the breadth of sounds that you get. The Solina V sounds really good as well. I don't think there's any alternative to that atm.

At the retail of $599 aud in Australia ,the VCollection isn't worth it for me. I'd rather buy the new Roland hardware unit.

dcfac73 wrote: However, at $199 usd, the v collection is a fantastic deal for the breadth of sounds that you get. The Solina V sounds really good as well. I don't think there's any alternative to that atm.
I'm on the fence about this. I have the V-collection, and I upgraded my V3 to V4. Like I said, I get the most use out of the simpler plugs and the spark samples. I don't like spark, I thought that I would, but I do use the samples both in Live's drum rack and in Reason's Kong.

Still, it's not very much money per plugin, that's certainly true.
At the retail of $599 aud in Australia ,the VCollection isn't worth it for me. I'd rather buy the new Roland hardware unit.
Absolutely, if I had paid that price I would have been severely disappointed. I have a longer story than that, but I'm going to resist the temptation to pontificate.

ghettosynth wrote:
dcfac73 wrote: However, at $199 usd, the v collection is a fantastic deal for the breadth of sounds that you get. The Solina V sounds really good as well. I don't think there's any alternative to that atm.
I'm on the fence about this. I have the V-collection, and I upgraded my V3 to V4. Like I said, I get the most use out of the simpler plugs and the spark samples. I don't like spark, I thought that I would, but I do use the samples both in Live's drum rack and in Reason's Kong.

Still, it's not very much money per plugin, that's certainly true.
Absolutely, if I had paid that price I would have been severely disappointed. I have a longer story than that, but I'm going to resist the temptation to pontificate.
Sorry I don't know how to use the quotes properly.

Ironically I did buy the Analog lab, Mini v, and Spark 2. I use Spark 2 quite a lot. I find the sounds are great, and punching in beats with the Spark controller is fabbo (better than maschine imo, which I also own).
I find Maschine is better for arranging and obviously most other things.

I only bought Analog lab because it was cheap. It's actually pretty uninspiring and a cpu hog. It's good for easy sound design by layering.
Mini v is ok, but Monark is way better.

dcfac73 wrote: Ironically I did buy the Analog lab, Mini v, and Spark 2. I use Spark 2 quite a lot. I find the sounds are great, and punching in beats with the Spark controller is fabbo (better than maschine imo, which I also own).
I didn't buy the controller. But, for me, I've not found hardware beat construction to be much help. I thought that I would, but that hasn't happened. The reason is that a lot of what makes house funky is very subtle manipulation of timing. I find that I just waste less time to just get down to it in my daw. Click the notes in place and drag groups until they feel right. That's hard to do with hardware.

But, that isn't what I was talking about. I agree that Spark 2 gives you punchy drums. However, a lot of that is just the samples. I explored the modular aspect of it when I got the software and it's largely just samples everywhere. Ok, that's fine, but I don't need "yet another drum sampler." I just realized that, again for me, the most useful part of spark is the samples and I just copied them to my drum samples directory and reorganized them. I also realized that the modular component was kind of clunky. In the end I found that drum racks + Reaktor is a much better modular drum synth solution for me.

ghettosynth wrote:
dcfac73 wrote: Ironically I did buy the Analog lab, Mini v, and Spark 2. I use Spark 2 quite a lot. I find the sounds are great, and punching in beats with the Spark controller is fabbo (better than maschine imo, which I also own).
I didn't buy the controller. But, for me, I've not found hardware beat construction to be much help. I thought that I would, but that hasn't happened. The reason is that a lot of what makes house funky is very subtle manipulation of timing. I find that I just waste less time to just get down to it in my daw. Click the notes in place and drag groups until they feel right. That's hard to do with hardware.

But, that isn't what I was talking about. I agree that Spark 2 gives you punchy drums. However, a lot of that is just the samples. I explored the modular aspect of it when I got the software and it's largely just samples everywhere. Ok, that's fine, but I don't need "yet another drum sampler." I just realized that, again for me, the most useful part of spark is the samples and I just copied them to my drum samples directory and reorganized them. I also realized that the modular component was kind of clunky. In the end I found that drum racks + Reaktor is a much better modular drum synth solution for me.
Yeah, I prefer laying down some beats live and quantising/adjusting, but for some reason I hate using keyboard keys. Plus I like the tr sequencing on the spark too. That's one reason why I enjoy the tr8 too.

If you don't need the controller or samples of Spark then u have absolutely no use for any of it .....natch :wink:

Reaktor is probably the ultimate for sound design period. But I have a short attention span, so I use only about 5% of it's potential. I prefer quick and dirty, like layering samples or mucking about with dedicated drum synths in maschine or spark.

I use Ableton drum racks too, for extra spicy hats or percussion. But for the main beat, I like to use hardware control.

Return to “Instruments”