Confusion regarding Mdrummer

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Alright, so much for that theory. I had the same thing happen again with mdrummer native loops. I have noticed that I can trigger the fill in the right bar by moving the midi note to the same beat as the start of the loop. See pics. This isn't normal behaviour, is it? I've tried this with random cutoff on and off, same result either way.
Loop.PNG
Midi.PNG
Thanks.
d.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midi note at start of bar should always work regardless of when the hits in a break actually start. If break had a drum on beat 1, the break would start at beat 1. For the break in your PNG above, MD would keep playing the previous beat but switch to the break at 'two-and' (when your break hits actually start). I can see this happening in the keyboard loopbox as it plays.

Sorry not much help...I'm not experiencing your problem at present.
Does this only happen with breaks, not beats?
It seems that MD is missing the break cue somehow? Could it be a CPU issue?

BTW, I believe random cutoff is just about how MD generates loops from the stored loops, not about how it plays them later..yes?

I don't think it's a cpu issue as my pc has lots of juice and I don't have any problems with any other plugin. So far, it seems to only happen with breaks. It's odd that it comes in late when I place the midi note at the beat 1 but comes in on time when placed on beat 2. You think the opposite would happen. I don't know, I'm starting to regret my purchase. I have a lot of Melda plugins and I do like them a lot but this is proving to be a royal pain.

You're probably right about random cutoff being that it is in the generate section.

For interest sake, what daw do you use?

Thanks for the input goldglob, much appreciated.

d.

I use Reaper. There's a setting in the Midi Editor options 'Chase MIDI note ons in project playback', which is relevant if say you start playback half way through a drawn note, but with Perfect Sync ON that setting should not have any bearing on your problem; MD should recognize the break cue regardless of 'chasing' on or off....again, not much help, but worth bearing in mind...E.G with chasing on and perfect sync off, starting playback mid drawn note will throw things out from then on, whereas with Perfect Sync on, MD will 'catch up'.
Have you tried just opening a new project and setting it up again?

Okay, good to know you're using Reaper. Yes, I've played around with "chase midi". Didn't help. Are you using the latest release? If so, I can rule that out.

Yes, I'm going to try from scratch and see where I get.

Thanks again.
d.

Yes, latest Reaper 5.16 and latest MD 6.03, W7 x64.
More stabs in the dark which you prob already know about.
1/ Run MD configuration (from start menu in Windows or just find it in MD's installation folder).
2/ GPU acceleration setting (MD/Menu).
3/ 'save minimal undo states' setting (close MD/ Reaper FX Browser/ right click on MD).
4/ The good ol' reboot.

Keep us posted, I'd like to know what the hell is happening here.

Cool. We have a pretty similar setup except I'm running Win10. I'll have another go with a fresh session and see where I get.

Cheers.
d.

Well goldglob, I tried your suggestions and the first fill (end of verse1) triggered right on target, the second fill (end of pre-chorus) triggered properly and then the first bar of the second verse started with the beat of the pre-chorus but then returned back to the beat of the verse on the second bar. It's like it completely ignored the trigger on the first beat of the first bar of the second verse. Then the fill at the end of verse 2 started in the first bar of the pre-chorus. I was careful to quantize everything and made sure the midi notes corresponded to actual loops and not empty ones. I'm baffled at this point, especially considering you use the same version of Reaper and it works for you. I don't know, maybe it's a Win10 thing. All my other Melda plugins are trouble free. I'm starting to develop a rash from scratching my head so much.

Maybe, if I can find the time, I'll throw Win7 on a partition and see how that goes.

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

1/ You are using the 'mdrummer_Reaper_notenames.txt' in your MIDI editor?
2/ Could some of your notes in the editor have had their channel changed?
3/ Does the problem happen using MD's stock rhythms (with your MIDI file)?
4/ You could send me the MIDI file (and tempo) via a dropbox link in a PM if you like..I could see if it works here.

1/ Yes, well I created my own note names in the editor. I assume you're referring to one that can be downloaded?

2/ All the notes are on channel 1.

3/ I have tried both stock rhythms and imported with similar results.

4/ I may take you up on that. First, I'm going to try a portable install of Reaper with default settings and create a fresh project and only use stock rhythms and see what happens. I suspect this may be a Win10 issue.

Cheers.
d.

The note names file is in the MD installation folder (just a loose file, not in a folder). You prob know this, but if not: MIDI editor/File/Customize note names/Load note names for all channels/From file.....then click on the file in MD's installation folder (which should be in Program Data). I'm just wondering whether you're actually placing your beats and breaks completely on the right keys? Just another long shot.
Good luck with this and keep us posted.

Didn't know that midi note name file existed. Nice. Anyway, I had created my own name file and have been very careful in placing my notes in the right places, so that's not the problem.

Last night it just randomly stopped playing on one bar and was silent for the next three and then started up again. Very strange. Notes were quantized and were placed accurately.

When I get time I'm going to try to narrow this down a bit. I know there have been some anomalies with some plugins and Win10. I'm really thinking that may be it but won't know for sure until I get some time to troubleshoot this some more.

Thanks goldglob.

d.

Well, I finally had a chance to try this out on a Win7 x64 box. This is a fresh install of Reaper with no modifications to the setup. The only plugin is Mdrummer. All midi notes have been quantized.

While the fills are coming in at the right time, the bar following the fill is not being triggered accurately. All my grooves are on the note C. However, the first bar after a fill on C# plays a D groove. After a fill on a D#, the first groove bar plays an E groove. See the screencast below for a demonstration.

http://www.screencast.com/t/lp2Ttzqp

I haven't taken a screen cast of windows 10 but I mostly have issues with fills coming in late on that platform.

I quite like Mdrummer and would really like to use it but it's unpredictable.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
d.

Bump.

Too long conversation, is there some question for me?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”