New to Windows 10: advice for stopping updates, data collection, ads,etc

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What should I do to maximize privacy, remove ALL ads, and stop any updates? Are there tricks or programs I can run? I'm sure this has been brought up before many a time, kinda late to the game :hihi:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I thought choosing "manual updates" and putting the machine in "plane mode" would stop updates.
Today during band rehearsal, after about 15 minutes, it gives me a distinctive windows beep (amplified through a pair of 500W speakers) saying I should update my Defender antivirus definitions. If that happened during a paid gig it would be very embarrassing and painful (since the windows system sounds are at -3dB, and my VST routing is at -10dB).

Putting everything on manual appears to only "mostly" work. How can I get it to "always" work?

Upgrade to the Pro version or get this:
GWX
The programmer is a KVR member.

Ayorinde wrote:Upgrade to the Pro version or get this:
GWX
Cool, thanks. Does that stop it from deleting programs? Do I run it once or do I have to have it always running?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

To disable updates you can also go to "Services" in the control panel and change the "Windows Update" service to "Disabled". Then when you want to get updates just re-enable it and disable again once done. No more updates of any kind.

chrisby wrote:To disable updates you can also go to "Services" in the control panel and change the "Windows Update" service to "Disabled". Then when you want to get updates just re-enable it and disable again once done. No more updates of any kind.
I heard that not always works -- I'll be using windows 10 the home edition. Maybe you are thinking the pro version?

Just to be clear, is the pro version paid or free?

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:
chrisby wrote:To disable updates you can also go to "Services" in the control panel and change the "Windows Update" service to "Disabled". Then when you want to get updates just re-enable it and disable again once done. No more updates of any kind.
I heard that not always works -- I'll be using windows 10 the home edition. Maybe you are thinking the pro version?

Just to be clear, is the pro version paid or free?
Pretty sure it'll work for all versions. You should set it to "disable" though (as opposed to setting it to "manual") so no other apps can turn it back on programmatically. Easy enough to try, just go disable it and see if it comes back on. I'm betting it won't.

I thought the GWX tool was to stop auto roll outs, rather than fix the telementry settings?

The's loads of privacy tools kicking about now, but the only one I've seen from a firm that I already use and trust is the Spybot one.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Thanks, I set the windows update to disabled for now, hopefully that will be enough. Seems there is one update pending a restart and I'd rather not have that update even. Is there a way to stop the update from kicking in -- would the GWX tool do that -- even though it already downloaded and installed the update?

TTU Youtube

https://fix10.isleaked.com is what I used.

You can't disable update completely with official settings, but delay them.
I didn't try to disable the update service.

You also can't completely disable cortana with official settings, but put here to sleep.

On an audio system, turn off all system sounds of course. ;-)

Don't use any windows store software and apps, install your own trusted tools instead.

After each major update, go through all the settings again since MS accidentally does not keep them all the way you had them.

I'm sticking with Windows 8.1 for my main machine for the time being...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Great news for all of us: Windows 10 for dummies is free for a time :hyper:

http://sharewareonsale.tradepub.com/free/w_wile204/

Set all network connections as 'metered', it does stop updater from kicking in. Ethernet connection can be set as metered with registry editor, I can look it up, if there's interest.
Ultimate solution: don't use 10.

Touch The Universe wrote:
Ayorinde wrote:Upgrade to the Pro version or get this:
GWX
Cool, thanks. Does that stop it from deleting programs? Do I run it once or do I have to have it always running?

I have been using 10 since day one and I have never had any programs deleted. What kind of programs is Win 10 supposed to deleting???

JJ_Jettflow wrote:I have been using 10 since day one and I have never had any programs deleted. What kind of programs is Win 10 supposed to deleting???
I don't know if it's been 'fixed' but, for a while at least, W10 was automatically uninstalling certain apps that it didn't consider compatible for whatever reason.

It seems that we're just going to have to get used to this new invasive presence for our computing experiences. We'll all accept it eventually I guess. I'm still on Vista which is currently the best option for a completely non invasive computer experience with little work needed on the part of the user. W7 is desperately trying to get everyone upgraded to W10 as far as I can see so I'm not going there for as long as I possibly can. Slowly though, devs are moving to W7 being minimum requirement so I can't stay here forever :cry:
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”