Opium dreams- using Reason only

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, deeply impressed here. That's a great track. And even though it's long, it doesn't get boring at all. Nice job on production, sounds, atmosphere, variation and track writing. A+ from me.

Thanks man. Most of my stuff ends up over 6 minutes long as I find it really hard to make a "statement" given the types of music I am writing in making them much less than that. And in the context of this piece, the idea was the dream thing, like your own interior movie, or as much of my stuff is, like a soundtrack for your own movie visions.

This is a truly excellent track. Gorgeous arps and pads, great percussion. Everything is pretty much flawless, except the bass. At the same time it is too loud and too buried in the mix. And like there is a gap in the frequency range which makes it feel somewhat disconnected from the rest of the track. At first I thought it was because of my admittedly not such great monitors and room, but it's the same, though less pronounced, on my headphones. It would be good if someone with better equipment could give you feedback on that, cause I might be wrong.

Thanks for the comments Bojan. I mix using pretty good headphones and have these great JBL LSR 305s for monitors, but after I mix, I always put the wave file on a USB stick which my stereo amp can play to compare. Inevitably, I find all sorts of things after doing that and go back to editing. The bass sound in this is actually 4 Thors going into a Pulverisor, if you know that effect in Reason, plus I did quite a bit of sculpting using the Reason mixing board EQs and its compressor. If any of you listen and have some thoughts about the bass, maybe you could contribute your ideas about that aspect, or any others for that matter as it's always interesting to get other perspectives, especially when you work in isolation from others when doing this stuff.

Return to “Music Cafe”