Is the Sylenth 1 still good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA DUNE 3 Hive 2 Spire Sylenth1

Hey there. Sylenth 1 is on sale at $99. I don't have it yet and I see many 3rd party sound libraries for it. I am wondering if it is still able to compete against newer synths and if I need it. I have all other synths available on the market. Is it really such a great synth for today? I compose EDM, trance, dubstep. Thank you.

Astralv wrote:I am wondering if it is still able to compete against newer synths and if I need it.
IMO, no. There are synths on the market which are better feature and sound wise. Won't fall into my usual fanboyism, and name the stuff which i consider better though, just take a look around, and see what other synths have to offer.

Nah it's rubbish.......

:wink:

Sylenth will always be a classic because it has a very unique, pleasing sound. I don't think it's possible for it to not be 'good' at any time. If you like the sound it makes there's no substitute.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Yes it still stands up against anything newer. The filter is one of the best on the market despite coming out before the whole ZDF craze.
It could certainly use some more modulation options, but it actually has quite a diverse range for something so simple.

there's lots more choices these days (spire, for example). but i've (re-added) sylenth1 to my arsenal, it's still relevant, still great...

I think I am becoming more collector than user. I have them all already, wish I had time to use them all. lol. The Sylenth 1, Diva and Zebra are the only synths I am missing. (Minus few small less popular synths). So for the purpose of having them all... I keep running in to the libraries for it and it reminds me that I don't have it, which was ok- I could still sleep at night... but now it is on sale first time that I know of...

I think sonic academy Ana is pretty much the same sounding. But it has additional features. And it,s cheaper. Maybe you should check it too?
Last edited by Iva on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm putting on my tin foil hat for this one because I know I'm going to get slammed for it.

Sylenth1 is overpriced compared to what's out there today that can do just as much if not more for the same money. I too have just about every synth out there. I don't have Sylenth1. It gives me nothing that I already don't have. At its normal price, no way would I buy it. At the sale price, again, already can do what it can do with my other synths so just don't need it.

I can't answer your question for you though. You sound like a compulsive buyer whereas I buy synths for the soul purpose of creating sound libraries to sell. I plan on having close to 100 libraries out there at some point. So for me, these synths are simply an investment into my business. And with that, I STILL wouldn't get Sylenth1. There are already a gazillion libraries out there, many free, and many people download the synth off of torrent sites anyway. So there is no money in it.

So there you have it. My reasons for not getting it. What are YOUR reasons for getting or not getting it? Only you can answer that. Certainly you can listen to the synth itself to tell if the sound quality holds up. You don't need other people to tell you that. Besides, their opinions, as are mine, are meaningless. The only thing that matters is what YOU think.

So download the demo (if there is one) play around with it and see what you think.

I will never own this synth and will never miss not owning it.

DUNE 2 is also at $99 and a MUCH better value (and better synth, in 2015), IMHO. But..only you know what you need. Sylenth1 is just a classic. It's pretty much the most popular software synth ever. But not the best option in 2015.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iva wrote:I think sonic academy Ana is pretty much the same sounding. But it has additional features. And it,s cheaper. Maybe you should check it too?
You have a weird understanding of the phrase "pretty much the same". :roll:

I'd dare to say that good old Synth1 is "pretty much the same sounding" as well. Concerning "pretty much" means "remotely similar".

Compare sylenth and Ana. They sound similar. Ana has better attack.
Last edited by Iva on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ZrgE wrote:I'd dare to say that good old Synth1 is "pretty much the same sounding" as well. Concerning "pretty much" means "remotely similar".
I once did some patch matching form sylenth to synth1 when I was bored one day. I was surprised at how very, very close I could get them - especially pads. I would have to use a few instances of synth1 for some of them but they do share similar sonic characteristics in some ways.

Iva wrote:Compare sylenth and Ana. They sound similar.
They don't sound the same then. Not even remotely. Play around with the filters a bit, and see what i mean. Or not, but then it's rather user fault.

Yorrrrrr wrote:DUNE 2 is also at $99 and a MUCH better value (and better synth, in 2015)
Sounds nothing like Sylenth though - nothing like the presence Sylenth has in a mix.

do_androids_dream wrote:
Yorrrrrr wrote:DUNE 2 is also at $99 and a MUCH better value (and better synth, in 2015)
Sounds nothing like Sylenth though - nothing like the presence Sylenth has in a mix.
Yes, for the typical same old same old EDM, maybe.. Care to explain the 'presence in a mix' argument?

Return to “Instruments”