Poll for Ozone Users above V5, regarding the gate being removed from the dynamics

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Would you like Izotope to bring back the GATE to ozone's dynamics?

Yes, i am a long time ozone user and very upset they removed it in version 6 onwards
41%
Yes, i think such a feature would be useful, although I haven't used a previous version of ozone with it
16%
No, I didn't even notice it was removed post ozone 5, as I never used it.
31%
No, i am simply not interested in a multi band gate
12%
It would be a good feature, but i already have another multiband gate I use instead.
No votes

Total votes: 51

RELATED
PRODUCTS

1)First quick point to explain the reason for the poll - izotope removed the gate from previous ozone versions, just deciding that we as customers suddenly didn't use it :lol:
so in version 6 and over, there is no expander/gate.

2) ALLOY has a multiband gate (including upward), but does NOT have the option of the perfect crossovers. Since many of us have the izotope production bundle, if they at least offered the perfect crossover option in alloy, that would be *something*. IMO

3) I have also been made aware of this:
http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/product ... d-exp.html
$75 right now but cheaper again at a reseller (i think under 60 or just over) - could be a very viable option.

4) Or just get pro MB which does everything LOL.

Anyway, the poll is pretty self explanatory.. and i am going to be presenting the results to izotope in the form of an email with topic link.. they are already aware i planned on doing this.

adding the gate back can not hurt in any way, and surely some of the processing code is reusable to add to V7.

so if you'd really like it, please DO vote! It's the only way to have any chance at getting this feature back!

THANK you for your attention, and no matter what, i will *NOT* close this topic (as i have done with a few of my topics lately).

Thanks for setting this up TheoM, we're definitely interested to see how this goes!

Never use the gate anyway with v5, so i have no issue with the removal. What i hate is the reverb removed since they're mid/side and i like to use them a little when i get a really dry mix file.
musisikamar.com

well izotope are watching so here is our chance...

Thanks evanallen.

Whilst you are reading, a floating band would rock and make ozone multiband as good as fab filter :grin:

I'll be keeping an eye out and passing along all feedback, thanks all! :)

Best,
-EA

I definitely hated with a passion when Izotope removed the gate from Ozone and complained to them many times. Would love if they brought it back since it really made the dynamics section a lot more powerfull and flexible. Ozone's gate was the most flexible I seen and being integrated in Ozone with all its other modules it could easily be used in tandem with the other dynamics. A Gate is a dynamic processor and Ozone has a dynamics section, also Ozone is used for Mixing as well so I don't understand Izotope's reasons for removing the gate wich I believe made Ozone more powerfull and flexible. I hope no other modules important to me are removed.
Last edited by sounddesigner on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
T2 Icarus is a must. SonicCore SCOPE is the most. As heart of studio it has my vote, cause XITE-1 is all she wrote.

I'm in the "didn't notice it was gone/didn't care" camp. Then again, I use Ozone exclusively as a mastering tool and never had a need for the gate. I realize that others use it as more of a Swiss army knife, so I can understand why they'd be upset. So, hopefully Izotope brings it back for their sake.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

There isn't an option for me to vote honestly so i haven't. I don't own Ozone, never have, but i am certainly a potential customer considering the producer pack upgrade. While I don't know if I'd use the gate function for mastering, part of the appeal of Ozone Advanced is the individual processor plugins which i could imagine myself using for mixing purposes. In that instance, having some sort of gating feature would be useful.

I'm always looking for ways to maximise volume while retaining the excitement of dynamic range, combining gating/expansion with compression is certainly one way to achieve this. In a multiband setup, i could foresee having access to both as particularly useful for achieving extra impact on subs or more definition on high frequency percussion. In fact, there could even be occasions when this may be advantageous during the mastering phase.

While I can kinda understand the removal of the reverb module, it seems particularly odd that any dynamics processing would be removed from a plugin suite of the nature of Ozone.

i will add an option if i can for those that don't own ozone but would find a use for a gate - exactly right mutantdog, ozone is a very powerful mixing tool also. (look truth be told, especially with old format restoration, there are uses for it in mastering also).

actually no, the second option is 100% correct for you mutant dog. You have not used ozone with a gate before (the way i worded it covers both non and current ozone customers), but you think it could be a useful feature. Not sure why you don't pick that one, when that's the exact vibe i get from your post.

it's 100% correct - you have not used a version of ozone that had a gate. That totally applies to your situation.

That doesn't exclude you just because you don't currently or never have used ozone at *all*. ;)

I think you're right actually. My vote has been cast. :)

The title of the thread led me to think the poll was geared toward people who already owned a version of Ozone. Guess i didn't read the options properly. :D

I totally miss the gate function and i think it was a great fault to remove it.

My point is:
While Ozone is "officially" a mastering tool, it can also be fantastic on busses. (For me it's standard to have different busses with ozone (5).
Now i often work with lots of overdubs of single musicians for choirs (or to get bigger string or brass sections by overdubbing the musicians). The gate option was perfect for a slight noise reduction; different settings for the bands allow a perfect control within seconds; with normal noisegates this wouldn't work.

Also, with field recordings (and foleys, soundeffects etc) it often happens, that noises in some frequency ranges are just disturbing the mix.

Now, that CPUs are much more powerful than some years ago (i use ozone since version 3), i think it should be worth considering the fact that ozone is much more than just a mastering processor...
(also, in ozone advanced i would love to see just this module).

I know that nectar and alloy cover some of these needs, but for this task i prefer ozone.
That's the reason why ozone 5 is still the version i use most (skipped 6)

btw. i also miss the reverb. Still haven't found a plate that sounds better as an additional nuance on brass samples.

When iZotope say that their customers don't use a certain feature, how exactly do they determine that? I'm not sure you can even correlate between frequency of use and importance anyway. I haven't actually needed to use an antivirus on my PC in years, but i still have one running just in case.

I would guess a large part of iZotope's customers are not mastering engineers, likely a lot of Ozone users are actually producers making rough masters for demos or for mixing in to their live sets. If someone is in a rush to knock up a quick master of a new track to play out that night, a gate might turn out to be really useful to fix a previously unnoticed problem in the mix.

Again, just because its not something you use much, doesn't mean you won't need it one day.

mutantdog wrote: Again, just because its not something you use much, doesn't mean you won't need it one day.
Exactly.

sorry haven't stayed on top of this. I would think there are more than 39 ozone users at KVR, perhaps we need to be more patient. Nice to know at least we are in the lead though. :)

Bottom line IMO, just leaving it in there couldn't have hurt anyone. With ozone 7 gui would have been easy to just flip the controls to show the gate by clicking on a gate button.

Return to “Effects”